Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Help

LouisWilkinson

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with my audio in my car...

I have just bought a 2011 zetec s with a sony stereo.

I have a USB port and a 3.5mm headphone jack behind the handbrake.

I can't seem to get music files to play using the bluetooth on my phone or by using a USB stick with music files on it.

I have thought that maybe the firmware needs to be updated but I would have thought the usb key should have worked in any case?

All I get when I choose AUX in the menu is 'Line in active' but nothing else happens no matter how many buttons I jab at!.

Can anyone shed any light on what I am doing wrong?

Also is it sensible to update the firmware to the latest version even though I don't know which version is on there now? I assume you can download the latest firmware from some ford website?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated,

Thanks,Louis

I believe its a plugin to the dealers job unfortunately. It was a common issue that annoyed a few owners, but Ford have updates that should get it working...

Have a look here:

http://www.ford-mobile-connectivity.co.uk/downloadsUpdates

You can update it yourself but you have to download the file onto a memory stick.

Are you making sure you are using a compatible file format (MP3) and putting the files into the root of the memory stick?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone advise is it just MP3 files you can use on the USB?

It seems stupid that USB sticks are so cheap now and yet you cannot play decent quality music on a system like this.

Can I use any higher quality audio files?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Mark

Can anyone advise is it just MP3 files you can use on the USB?

It seems stupid that USB sticks are so cheap now and yet you cannot play decent quality music on a system like this.

Can I use any higher quality audio files?

Is there a workaround?

Thanks.

Mark

Yes, you can use audio CDs, the audio cd is uncompressed 16bit, 44.1khz stereo audio, so are much better quality than mp3s, that are heavily compressed, have less seperation, reduced bandwidth (bass & treble) and have that annoying "swishing" in the background/ treble, the cd can take up many times the space (in gigabytes) than an mp3, and is less convenient - so it depends on your priorities, quality or convenience

If you have 320kbps mp3's you get hardly any swishing and noise etc... And let's face it, unless you've spent a small fortune on your sound system you won't notice it!

I get mp3's brought to me to play at work for pro concerts and shows... Some people never learn that 128kbps mp3 file sounds awful...

The highest format you could use is uncompressed lossless wavs, they are 1411kbps WAV files... But there's no point in converting to this if your source file is already a compressed format.

I run 320kbps files on my USB I'm the car, and with the quality of car audio, don't notice a difference between CD or MP3.

• 2 weeks later...

Since fitting a Ford USB system I honestly haven't played a single CD in my car and only put a radio station on when the wife is in the car (she doesn't really dig my music tastes).

You certainly notice the difference between MP3 and radio quality.

I have all my MP3's in 320kbps format, it's a 32 gig stick so file sizes aren't a big fuss.

Since fitting a Ford USB system I honestly haven't played a single CD in my car and only put a radio station on when the wife is in the car (she doesn't really dig my music tastes).

You certainly notice the difference between MP3 and radio quality.

I have all my MP3's in 320kbps format, it's a 32 gig stick so file sizes aren't a big fuss.

Is that the ford USB music box Stoney, or have you fitted bluetooth etc. If it is the music box do you find it an issue not having the tracks ids etc on screen? I really need USB but trying to decide on the music box/retrofitting Bluetooth/Chinese sat nav thing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Just yhe standard USB box.

It's basically just like an electronic CD changer and comes through the aux channel.

It allows you to skip tracks and albums using the steering controls.

No track details or listings but if you number the album files in the order you want them to play you soon learn them.

• Like 1

I use the USB box too.

Great bit of kit I think! Yeah it's a shame about the titles, but you soon get used to the layouts of the track lists!

• Like 1

I am waiting for a day off/good weather to check for the wiring loom for bluetooth/usb, I'm pretty sure I found the wiring when I was looking for the footwell light wiring (which I didn't have). I would like to got with this option if possible and to be fair I'm prepared to spend the cash to get it working. If it all seems too much hassle, I will just go with the usb box, it would be a no brainer if the usb box was like 50 quid, but at 90 I'm willing to spend more and do the retrofit. I might even end up going for one of the retrofit kits for £215 http://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=ford+retrofit.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club