Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scraping/grinding Noise When Braking

Focuz

Anybody know why theres a scraping noise coming from my front left wheel? It suddenly started, I can only feel it when the brakes are applied, I thought it was a stone or something traped, but then the noise went away and came back again..

Could it be a bearing?

are your pads worn down, if your disks are also worn it could be the lip hitting the pad.

I doubt its rust because I probably drive around 20 miles a day.. and it suddenly came on.

And yes I thought it could be the pads because they are due replacement but its odd because I just took the car for a test drive and now its gone completely, so hopefully it was just a bit of stubborn grit lol..

Cheers for the replys anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

this often happens when pads are worn, scraping comes and goes till they are worn enough to be scraping all the time,,,get them checked asap as if it is the pads your ruining the discs and will need to replace them too

Oh okay mate, sounds like the pads then, I was thinking about changing them soon anyway

depending how close they are, you may need to buy new disks. If necessary, you can buy a full set of all four for around £80-90 on eBay!

Ooh okay mate thats good to know, my rears are drum brakes, but i think they are fine.

I've had exactly the same issue recently. It wasn't doing it till brakes warmed up after applying them a few times. Mine were getting low so bought new ones and now the issue is gone completely. Id check them if I were you. Modern brake disks tend to wear down quickly too because the metal is softer to help braking so check them too. You get a much better braking ability if you replace together too. Just be careful to bed them in properly for first few hundred miles though to avoid warping them.

• Like 1

Cheers for the info ;)

Even with fron only sets, you can be looking at around 30 - 40 quid for a set of disks and pads for the front.

Ooo is that so.. i'll have a look then, should be easy enough to change myself I would have thought aswell :)

I've just had this exact same issue. About 4 months ago i got my front tryes replaced and the guy that changed them said i needed new discs too. So i booked the car in at my local garage to have the discs replaced but they said the discs were fine and didnt need doing

For the last 3 or 4 days ive noticed a scraping/grinding noise when i apply the breaks. So have booked car in again this wednesday do get either the pads and discs changed or possibily just the pads. Will let ya know how much it costs

• Like 1

Ford wanted £85 for a set of front pads a few years ago when I had my Focus. I bought the pads for £35 on their own from eurocarparts.

Yeah, Ford do like their profit!

• Like 1

Right sorted....car went into my local indi garage yesterday. Turns out i needed new discs and pads on the front which i thought would be the case. In total it cost £173.94.

Front Break Pad Set £42.79

Front Break Disc x2 £90.65

45mins labour £40

Car doesnt make any noises when breaking now and breaks perfectly and extremly responsively. They just said i have to go easy on the break for about 500 miles to avoid warping them etc

Bladdy hell 173 quid..! Should have bought the parts yourself lol, ah well at least the problem is sorted!

I didnt think that was too horrific...was expecting over £200. Obviously id of rather not had to pay £173. Without the VAT it would of been £144.95. If id of bought the discs myself (off eurocarparts.com) id of got the wrong ones as apparently my model focus wasnt fitted with the usual discs which appear when you type your reg in on the website.

Also i guess the discs/pads on a 1.8 or 1.6 would be slightly cheaper?

Worryingly though they noticed that my fuel pump was a little noisy.....which is usually due to a clogged fuel filter but i had that changed recently. So they think my fuel pump could be on its last legs. Said should be fine for now but to keep an eye on it :-( The car has done 125k so its done well as that will be the original fuel pump and was the original discs too

pads and disks arenmt any cheaper on the 1.6 ti vct unfortunately i paid the same for the same job but from ford

Does seem pricey as I've found a set of mintex matched front disks/pads for £54 quid delivered. Main thing is its sorted and what you paid isn't too bad. I'll do mine myself which will save some £££'s

I usually do it myself but truth is it was cold and i couldn't be bothered lol

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club