Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hid's Void Warranty?

RyanZetecS

So I went into my local for dealership to get a DTC code checked out (C401_64).

They told me that my BCMI unit is damaged and will need replacing. It should be under warranty but they are telling me that because I have HID's in my warrenty is void.

Has anyone else heard this rubbish before?

The dealer has to prove that any modifications you have made affect that warranty claim/part in question. For example, they can't refuse to fix a faulty gear box if you have changed your lights etc

I would assume what they mean by the BCMI is that the HID lights are fed from the FEM (Forward Electronic Module) which is involved with engine, lighting and other various sustems power supply.

It would appear that they are counting the addition of HID as a wiring modification thereby negating the electrical section of the warranty but as long as they are fitted correctly I can't see why they are stating the FEM needs replacing.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

aftermarket hids do void the warranty as well as being illegal since september this year In automotive electronics, body control module is a generic term for an electronic control unit
responsible for monitoring and controlling various electronic
accessories in a vehicle's body. Typically in a car the BCM controls the
power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, immobilizer system, central locking, etc. The BCM communicates with other on-board computers via the car's vehicle bus, and its main application is controlling load drivers – actuating relays that in turn perform actions in the vehicle such as locking the doors or dimming the salon overhead lamp.

since the headlights are an electric accessory any faults to the module are usually caused from fitting afttermarket products not originally designed to be monitored by the module i was told this by a friend in the garage who said these aftermarket hids are rubbish and the companies selling them dont have a clue youre wiring a high power unit up to a car it wasnt designed for and casnnot correctly monitior the circuit as these hids use more power than standard lights more than most circuits are set up for so im afraid the cost is on you now the dealer doesnt have to prove anything youve modified from standard the electrical system by adding illegal hids to a circuit without the correct module for them

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys!

Everything fitted to the car is Is done by a professional and I don't see why adding HIDS could kill the BCMI? Thebulbd use the same amount of power as a normal bulb it's just stepped up by the ballast.

All I've had is problems since I bought the car to be honest. In march it will be two years old and it's already had a new clutch, cracked rear lights and a fault with the stereo

Thanks for the replys!

Everything fitted to the car is Is done by a professional and I don't see why adding HIDS could kill the BCMI? Thebulbd use the same amount of power as a normal bulb it's just stepped up by the ballast.

All I've had is problems since I bought the car to be honest. In march it will be two years old and it's already had a new clutch, cracked rear lights and a fault with the stereo

In the eyes of the blue oval if its not been fitted by there staff then its not coverd under warrenty , its there way of worming out of things.

Given the history with it id fix it up and sell it on before it gives you more trouble mate.

Dpf and turbo failure are all possibilities on the 1.6tdci DMF is also set to go at around 120k

HID'S without washers and auto level ? also anything not on Fords recomended accessorie list will also kill warrenty.

Even if you get Ford to fit a particular product (ford or otherwise branded!) can still result in a loss of warranty. Ford are sticklers for factory spec!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club