Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Rant About The Useless Beggers On The Road!!!

jeebowhite

So, today was an "interesting" day for driving! 6 people nearly ran me off the road today! 6! a stereotypical farmer in a land rover, two white van men, a corsa and a couple of other eedgets! all mostly on motorways!

Farmer pulled out onto a motorway from a slip road behind an 18 wheeler and didnt look, pulled out into outside lane in front of me 70 down to 40 with ABS and tyre squeels!

White van man decided he didnt want to wait to overtake safely so swung out in front of me.

Corsa kid decided the middle lane of the roundabout is the only one you should use and nearly took me out, and the last fool was a van man who decided it would be clever to speed up on a slip road, try to overtake me before a roundabout and cut me up at 50. I slow down, flash him, and he ignores it. get to the next roundabout and pull out into the outer lane, he starts throwing "wrist oriented" gestures at me! so then he swings out on the roundabout in front of me AGAIN! then all the way down the dual carriageways he swings out and cuts me up in the outside, if I move to the inside he does the same thing! Even racing to get past him he still took dangerous manouvers! I seriously wish I had a dashcam.

the other two were insignificant but those were the worst, and the last - well, I had to double round a roundabout and take a different route. I feared that if I continued after him I would do something I would come to regret.

A question for our resident lawmen - is dashcam footage from the general public - sufficient to secure a prosecution?

• Like 1

Even if you couldn't get a prosecution it would sure look good posted up on youtube for the idiot to see. Nothing you can do about about people with an IQ of less than 40 having driving licenses unfortunately. Just glad your OK.

• Like 2

Dash cam footage if of adequate quality can be taken into consideration as evidence.

Wish I could share the footage I get from my patrol vehicle cameras as it would make peoples hair go white.

Had an inconsiderate driver over the weekend (in torrential rain) block me on the way to a shout, refuse to pull in even though there was adequate space to do so, and when I finally did manage to get past he proceeded to slide back over the white lines and almost did a PIT manoeuvre on me.

If I hadn't have been going to a potential suicide attempt off a bridge I would have thrownh the book at him.

My blue lights don't exactly make me invisible you know!!

• Like 3

Dash cam footage if of adequate quality can be taken into consideration as evidence.

Wish I could share the footage I get from my patrol vehicle cameras as it would make peoples hair go white.

Had an inconsiderate driver over the weekend (in torrential rain) block me on the way to a shout, refuse to pull in even though there was adequate space to do so, and when I finally did manage to get past he proceeded to slide back over the white lines and almost did a PIT manoeuvre on me.

If I hadn't have been going to a potential suicide attempt off a bridge I would have thrownh the book at him.

My blue lights don't exactly make me invisible you know!!

Unbelievable. I was a special constable for a couple of years a while back and saw some pretty horrendous driving in front of us whilst on flash jobs etc!!

Even if you couldn't get a prosecution it would sure look good posted up on youtube for the idiot to see. Nothing you can do about about people with an IQ of less than 40 having driving licenses unfortunately. Just glad your OK.

Perhaps they should add an IQ test to the driving theory test! :P

• Like 1

Crikey Clive that is bad going!

Well I wish I could afford the dashcamage, unfortunately I am adjusting to the life of bills and not doing so well, so unless I can get a bargain with suitable quality and a fantastic price, I dont think I can make it. but I am sure that the footage that could have been captured yesterday would have at least had one ban, and three with a hefty fine...

So if anyone has any good quality suggestions at a bargain price, please let me know!!!

Clive, what would be considered good quality? I presume it would have to be with little to no jumps in the footage?

• Like 1

As long as the image is in focus and a decent resolution then it is admissable in the same way that CCTV footage is.

The higher the frame rate the better but even as low as 2fps is workable.

Ideally clear shots of numberplates and drivers faces for positive identification.

• Like 1

There are some good quality cameras available through my website below, but they are not that cheap although there is quite a range. Some of the eBay ones look OK but may not provide the quality required.

• Like 1

I feel for you :( , I have drive the M5 to Bristol and back to Weston for work and its a terrible stretch! The one thing that annoys me more than anthing is when im doin 70 i lane one and there is someone doing 60 in the middle not overtaking and no cars to its left for some time! I cant undertake and there is normally loads of people overtaking him/her/it.

• Like 1

know what you mean. I need to get some kit but need to sort my finances first...

• Like 1

There's some days James, where I feel like every idiot in a 10 mile radius has somehow managed to find me driving! Must have been one of those days for you then... <_<

Driving home from work this evening, I enter a very congested roundabout...

So I move into the left most lane in order to turn left, and this moron in a white Toyota Tarago at the next exit tries to enter the roundabout, and cut me off when I have already entered and moving. He had a really urgent look on his face, and kept giving me hand movements pointing that he wants to go in the same direction as me.

Silly git, I have already entered the roundabout, stop acting so entitled, and stop trying to cut me off. He tried to urge forward at the last moment again, so I gave him a good blast of the horn.

/rant.

• Like 2

Snap I nearly got rear ended by a hgv yesterday the driver managed to stop literally 6 inches from my bumper all I could see was scania in my rear view mirror. I

• Like 1

Its ludicrous! that was what peeved me off - the general lack of concern, there's just so many idiots out there and yes, like you Steve, I seem to be a fist magnet! they definitely all find their way to me!

I love how people will cast gestures when they are in the wrong and you express dissatisfaction at there idiocy!

• Like 1

Crikey Clive that is bad going!

Well I wish I could afford the dashcamage, unfortunately I am adjusting to the life of bills and not doing so well, so unless I can get a bargain with suitable quality and a fantastic price, I dont think I can make it. but I am sure that the footage that could have been captured yesterday would have at least had one ban, and three with a hefty fine...

So if anyone has any good quality suggestions at a bargain price, please let me know!!!

Clive, what would be considered good quality? I presume it would have to be with little to no jumps in the footage?

Here is a full HD (1080p) dashcam for about £26 -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/full-HD-1080P-dash-cam-lorry-DVR-night-vision-G-sensor-car-video-camera-recorder-/290929286691?_trksid=p2054897.l4275#ht_4900wt_1084

Continuous footage with a time/date stamp, gps location, highest framerate possible without blocking the memory up and best resolution posdible are all preferable.

You'd be surprised as to some of the terrible video quality I've seen which has still been useable evidence.

I was a CCTV liaison officer for a pair of years and had to collate and review some atrocious quality footage and make a case from it.

Some people mght not want to show what speed they were doing 24/7 <_<

Some people mght not want to show what speed they were doing 24/7 <_<

But no-one on this forum of course ;)

For evidence, I presume you would need to provide the full video for the drive? start to end? I expect that this is the only real way that you can qualify that the evidence hasnt been tampered with?

Just taking a look and seen something similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Camera-Dash-Cam-100-UK-Legal-Full-HD-IR-Infrared-5-Mpx-/380752805668?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item58a6a2bf24

The main difference is the infrared for night time driving...

I am going to keep my eye out for a real bargain though. There is one not too disimilar to FOCA's which is currently on bid, 2 days and costs less than a tenner! might be worth a punt!

Snap I nearly got rear ended by a hgv yesterday the driver managed to stop literally 6 inches from my bumper all I could see was scania in my rear view mirror. I

LOL sorry, not laughing at our misfortune, just the way you described it. Scania...lolol hilarious.

For evidence, I presume you would need to provide the full video for the drive? start to end? I expect that this is the only real way that you can qualify that the evidence hasnt been tampered with?

Just taking a look and seen something similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Camera-Dash-Cam-100-UK-Legal-Full-HD-IR-Infrared-5-Mpx-/380752805668?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item58a6a2bf24

The main difference is the infrared for night time driving...

I am going to keep my eye out for a real bargain though. There is one not too disimilar to FOCA's which is currently on bid, 2 days and costs less than a tenner! might be worth a punt!

Yes- the prices have come right down

Most of these cameras record in a loop, so once the card is full up it over-writes the start, if you are recording in 1080p/30fps, and you have a small card, it will only record the last few minites 2hours/10mins with a 16gig / 1hour5mins with an 8gig so a 2 gig would only record the last 15mins, if an incedent happens you press "save" - some have a g-sensor automatically save at high g-forces (in an accident)

if there was a date/ time stamp you could not edit in-between the start-finish points but it would be difficult to tell where the start-finish points would be and probably cutting hours of irrelevant motoring and just having the relevant bits leading up to the incident would probably be accetable

The infra red (night vision) works in black-and white only (even on a color camera) and has a limited range as it relies on the output of the ir- LEDs

Cheers FOCA, well I am on the hunt for a deal, to be honest something has to be better than nothing. I have an app on my phone that I may use as a backup, but the camera isnt great. If I can get a dedicated unit and cheap, then I will probably have a go, and buy a 32GB card to ensure optimal conditions.

I am trying to find one that I can also stick in the boot and record the back at the same time, but again, on a budget, without buying two of these units which would add up, its probably best not to!

Just found another I might stand a chance of getting the Mrs to buy me :p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Night-Vision-Car-DVR-Accident-Video-Recorder-270-Camera-6-IR-TFT-LCD-UK-/350914860514?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item51b427d5e2

thinking one front and one rear, and it will still be relatively cheap. Looks like good recording specs, so should be clear and concise.

Now to find some inexpensive class 10's and give the mrs a hint or two!

Just found another I might stand a chance of getting the Mrs to buy me :P

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-HD-Night-Vision-Car-DVR-Accident-Video-Recorder-270-Camera-6-IR-TFT-LCD-UK-/350914860514?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item51b427d5e2

thinking one front and one rear, and it will still be relatively cheap. Looks like good recording specs, so should be clear and concise.

Now to find some inexpensive class 10's and give the mrs a hint or two!

From what I have heard, those Chinese ones that cost < £30 are pretty awful James, you might want to avoid them...

I thought about buying them, but everyone has told me they are junk...

is dashcam footage from the general public - sufficient to secure a prosecution?
It's good enough for the police. But it has to carry a time and date stamp. I gave CCTV footage to the police when my neighbour threatened my partner with an axe. He got two months for threatening behaviour. The video quality wasn't that great, but it was enough. He claimed he had the axe out to bash nails into his garden fence to fix the damage I'd done the night before (long story!), but on the CCTV, right on the edge of the picture, you can see him go into his shed and bring out the axe before threatening her with it.

I wish I had the funds to buy the better quality ones. I just think if I can have a decent resolution. timestamp and number plate that will help. I dont expect perfect quality, and might just try the £13 for the sake of it! something is better than nothing :)

I have emailed a couple of sellers asking for any example video's and see what happens! who knows I might just pick up a bargain, likewise, I dont really want to be buying tat!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club