Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Hose Leak

sixgood

advice please' focus 1.6 zetec 5 door climate change petrol' year 2005' issue the power steering hose leaking fluid near to the alternator contaminating belt and going into the alternator' been told new hose/pipes are a dealer part only cost £85.00' had quote to fit £100.00 does the cost sound right? can you purchase part elsewhere

:wub:

sounds about right and no its a ford only part though search eBay they might be on there in fact had a look and they arent any cheaper

• Like 1

Paid £57.95 for my power steering hoses and £29.99 for my drive belt kit will be fitting mine on Monday myself as garages down here want alot more. I would advise replacing the drive belt.

you will also need a union nut when the steering hoses get replaced at a cost of £12.95 from the same company just give them a bell and they will be happy to help.

http://www.vospers.com/parts/ford/focus/genuine-ford-focus-mk2-power-steering-pipes-2004-2011-new-1743278.html?search=power%20steering&brand_id=0&category_id=0&sort=featured&results=20&

Hope this helps will be doing a couple of guides when I replace mine.

• Like 1

many focuses should have been recalled for this years ago and had it replaced under warranty

Problem: Focuses built from April to May 2008 could have
power steering faults. The hoses on the power steering system were not
built to specified standards which would degrade over time. This meant
that the power steering failed and resorted back to standard steering.

Solution: To fix this problem you will have to fit the new revised hoses to your vehicle.

its suspected earlier models had dodgy hoses too

• Like 1

thanks to everyone' going to get hoses fitted today' will come back with further info on completion

Cheers Sixgood.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to everyone' going to get hoses fitted today' will come back with further info on completion

Cheers Sixgood.

Hi mate, how did this turn out for you?

had hose replaced' still have leaking fluid though not has bad' my fitter has looked but could not find any leak ' losing only a small amount' just going to keep eye on fluid level

had hose replaced' still have leaking fluid though not has bad' my fitter has looked but could not find any leak ' losing only a small amount' just going to keep eye on fluid level

That doesn't sound ideal, from what I have heard, the high pressure pipe seal on the pump might need replacing in order to eliminate all potential sources of the leak.

There is some advice on this thread here, I reckon its worth having a look at:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/49706-focus-leaking-power-steering/

• Like 1

Recently replaced mine and all my belts.

You have no choice but to replace the seal anyway so that will be new.

Mine don't leak at all, had a bit of trouble getting the pipe in the union nut but apart from that it was simple.

I really recommend changing your drive belts is it has leaked alot replaced mine and had to clean all pulleys as the belt I removed had almost gone crispy and cracked badly when moved but I had lost all my PS fluid.

Was going to make a guide but after dropping my camera and breaking it I didn't want to risk damaging my phone so just got on with it, chucked it down a few times :( so had to dodge rain and was frozen.

But all in all I think it was well worth it.

I would keep checking your fluid and if it goes down make them fix it as it isnt fair to tell you they have fixed it when they haven't.

Recently replaced mine and all my belts.

You have no choice but to replace the seal anyway so that will be new.

Mine don't leak at all, had a bit of trouble getting the pipe in the union nut but apart from that it was simple.

I really recommend changing your drive belts is it has leaked alot replaced mine and had to clean all pulleys as the belt I removed had almost gone crispy and cracked badly when moved but I had lost all my PS fluid.

Was going to make a guide but after dropping my camera and breaking it I didn't want to risk damaging my phone so just got on with it, chucked it down a few times :( so had to dodge rain and was frozen.

But all in all I think it was well worth it.

I would keep checking your fluid and if it goes down make them fix it as it isnt fair to tell you they have fixed it when they haven't.

thanks for the advice guys' have talked to my fitter again he is happy to take another look at it (know the lad well) since my last post fluid level has not changed' so maybe all is ok' unsure at this point' I will get to the bottom of this issue though' all parts were from ford and all belts changed at the same time

thanks for the advice guys' have talked to my fitter again he is happy to take another look at it (know the lad well) since my last post fluid level has not changed' so maybe all is ok' unsure at this point' I will get to the bottom of this issue though' all parts were from ford and all belts changed at the same time

If its not going down now it could be that there was some air left in the system, that has now bled out.

• Like 1

That doesn't sound ideal, from what I have heard, the high pressure pipe seal on the pump might need replacing in order to eliminate all potential sources of the leak.

There is some advice on this thread here, I reckon its worth having a look at:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/49706-focus-leaking-power-steering/

If its bot going down now it could be that there was some air left in the system, that has now bled out.

well this could be' thanks will discuss further if leak is still there cheers all

• 6 years later...

Hey guys I have a 1.6 Focus too.

I replaced the pipes and the union nut. Now there is no leaking fluid, but I now have in air leak.

i spent the last day bleeding the system (cap off left to right over and over) only to figure out the bubbles never ended. I went on 3 test drives and every time the same sequence happened; was fine pulling out the drive then a minute or so of running you would start to hear the pump. After 3 mins or so it would be at its loudest to the point at a stand still, slightly moving the wheel Would make it groan.

Any idea on how this is happening would be appreciated. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club