Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Sony Dab Radio From Mondeo To Focus 2.5

Cragrat

Hello,

I have also posted this in the Audio forum but thought I would cast my net wider.

I have 59 plate Focus Mk2.5 and would like replace the Ford 6000cd radio with an OEM Sony DAB radio. With this in mind I bought a second hand one from a 2010 Mondeo. I know there is a risk that it may not be compatible but for the price I thought I would give it a go. Physically it fits fine except for the twin FARAK aerial connections which I knew I would have to sort out. The 6000cd has a single ISO aerial connector. My initial problem is after fitting and entering the code I get the message Unconfigured Mode the screen then reverts to normal and pressing the various buttons tries to scan. It fails at this as the aerials are not connected. Loading a CD it finds the tracks and titles and the symbol shows a disk spinning. But there is no sound. The radio is not on Mute and the adjusting the volume correctly shows on the screen.

Plugging in my MP3 player to the Aux port has no effect and pressing the CD/AUX button just changes the CD functions. This works fine on the 6000cd radio.

The steering wheel controls change volume, station etc as normal.

So to summarize all appears to be working apart from no sound and the Aux input not detected.

The part no: I am trying to fit is 8S7T-18C939-MA, model CD345-MCA SONY AUDIOPHILE DAB software ver 04 07 06. The back connector takes the same connector as my 6000cd and there is an additional connector with 10 pins in 2 banks of 5. Not sure what this for but it does look similar to the CD changer connector on my Mk1A Focus radio for the CD changer except its larger.

I knew there was a chance this would not work but any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks

The Sony Audiophile DAB radio which was available as an option for the Mondeo MK4 and S-max/Galaxy is completely different than the Focus Sony radio's. The Sony Audiophile DAB radio has no built in amplifier. This radio has an extra (grey coloured) connector on the back of the radio which needs to be connected to a seperate amplifier module. Without this amplifier module you will not have any sound.

The radio shows "Unconfigured Mode" because the radio is not configured correctly for your car. As far as I know it is not possible to configure a Mondeo MK4 radio for a Focus MK2 because the communication protocol of the radio is different.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for this info. I don't think I will waste any more time with this radio. You don't happen to know the part number of a Sony DAB radio for a Focus Mk2.5? Looks like I have a Sony DAB for a Mondeo S-max Galaxy for sale.

Thanks again

Dave, in a very wet Devon

For a DAB unit to fit in a Focus the Finis code is 1716725 or look for one with a parts serial number containing 18C939.

This would be the radio with single CD, DAB and MP3.

From Ford you'd be looking at about £800.

One with a 6 CD capacity is Finis 1716727 with the same serial number part as above and about £1000 from Ford.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SONY-DAB-CD-MP3-STEREO-FOCUS-NEW-2011-MODEL-CODE-3-MONTHS-WARRANTY-/281197194871?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4178a8ae77

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SONY-DAB-6-DISC-CD-CHANGER-MP3-STEREO-FOCUS-MONDEO-CODE-3-MONTHS-WARRANTY-/281199512589?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4178cc0c0d

Remember though that it's a very good idea to check with your local Ford Dealers before committing to buy another radio (I have been known to be wrong occasionally) :)

Hi Thanks for that info.

I have visited the local dealer and can confirm that the Finis numbers in the ford wiki site are correct for my car.

Finis: F1559265 rod assy

F1559268 Aerial base

F1545793 Cable assy

F1682844 Cable assy

Thought the total cost has now gone up to £88.02 inc VAT!

As for the radio I got the Finis codes of F1830024 (6cd) and F1830023 (single cd) and the price of £634 + VAT and £544 +VAT. I was trying to look over the shoulder of the store man and did see on the screen 18C939 in a box over the radio. Could this be a replacement model? Not that I will be buying a new one.

One other thing that I have noticed is that on one of the radios there are 2 Fakra connections and on other there is 1 Fakra and 1 ISO. The parts catalogue at Ford seemed to illustrate the cable end as having the latter. I would not get the aerial until I have the radio but just wondered if you had come across this?

Honnington, I was there from 78 to 82. Long time ago.

Anyway thanks again for confirming the part No's. When I have sold the radio I bought I'll be looking again. The scrap yards down in Devon never seem to have recent Focus's. Pity

The local scrappies are rubbish.

I spent a month hunting for a MK2.5 gear gaiter and they all said the same thing.

None seemed to have anything for a Focus past 2003.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hi

Finally got Sony Dab 6 cd radio. The model I bought was 8M5T-18C939-MD, CD3XX-CD6-ISLAND KW200, CDX FC307MD. I also used the list of aerial parts from my previous post. All fitted and working. DAB reception is very good in Mid Devon but does vary as I drive north through Somerset. Pity the radio does not have the scrolling info on what is playing like my radio at home.

I was in same boat, I nearly bought one out of a mondeo , 6disc dab Sony unit, but I pasted the link to see of compatible, I'm glad I did, also glad I didn't buy it, guy called tezza on ffoc checked it out on ford micro cat & came up with that its not compatible.only one with the last number you've pasted.,just bought one off eBay ,on its way.

Yunii

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Ford OC mobile app

can i ask do the antenna connections from the antenna base to the dab radio have separate connections on the antenna base then direct to the back of the dab head unit..?

or

do they connect together at the antenna base.. terminate into one connection

do the antenna leads just simply then plug into the rear of the dab radio or go elsewhere

i am looking at ordering the parts to retrofit the sony 1 disk dab radio antenna as i already have the sony unit just not the correct antenna i have the original 88-108 antenna fitted

any further help please guys

from what I remember the base has 2 cables and you need to use the extension cable to make sure it reaches the centre console, google ford wiki dab to give you more of an idea

cant post that website link on here

Hi, For the Focus I needed a new antenna which screws into a new base, This has a single cable connection. This then connects to another cable which eventualy splits into two. One connection is the ISO for the FM and the other is a Fakra connection for the DAB.

Hope this helps. Check out the Ford Wiki site

Parts required for fitting a DAB radio-

Aerial - Finis 1559265 (£14 approx)

Aerial base - Finis 1559268 (£16 approx)

Main aerial cable - Finis 1545793 (£30 approx)

DAB Fakra/ISO - Finis 1682844 (£30 approx)

so if the antenna mount that fits on car roof only has one connection... then what is stopping someone simply making a Y splitter at the back of stereo..? mine has 2 fakra connectors not one..!!

if the replacement cables that come to the unit are connected into one on the antenna base then there is no harm doing this..! all is needed is the base to take the new antenna rod as the new rods

are a male thread not a female one..then make a very simple Y splitter with 2 fakra cables in my case that connect into one lead..

Hi,

I have no idea how the internal wiring works. It must be magic. Give it a go what have you got to lose.

The new base has a stud to secure the cable and it to the car. The old base had a female thread and a screw to secure it.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have ford smax 2013,240hp with sony cd345 audiofile ,can i install new multimedia system? Do i need the pre amplifer(gray connector) or can work with the multimedia amplifer?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club