Show
Photo
- - - - -

Steering Lock Query

Best Answer Willy, 03 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

It's all normal guys. The steering wheel has an automatic electronic lock which locks when you lock the car. If you leave the steering wheel turned when you lock it you'll find it hard to unlock later. As said before you will need to wiggle the wheel to release the lock. No need for a trip to the dealer. Best way to avoid this happening is to leave your wheels strait when you've parked :P Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aliturk

aliturk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Name: Alican
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost 123PS
  • Year: 2013

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Had a bit of a panic not long ago. Went down to move the car, put key in ignition but it wouldn't turn.  Didn't seem broken, more like something was deliberately preventing it from turning.  After pausing to think, I tried again, this time rocking the steering wheel slightly, I could feel a catch release and was able to turn the key and the wheel unlocked.  It does seem a bit of a dark art and I'm wondering if something needs adjusting.  I actually don't normally engage the steering lock, i must have done it unknowingly.  The manual just says to unlock the steering, depress the clutch or turn the key.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 potter18

potter18

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Name: alan
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

If the steering lock is engaged you usually have to move the steering wheel slightly to turn the ignition key don't think that it's a problem but keep your eye on it

#3 L666JER

L666JER

Ford Fanatic

• FOC Supporters
  • 485 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Mk3.5 Fiesta 1.1 LX & Mk5 Fiesta 1.3
  • Year: 1995

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

I had exactly the same problem earlier on in the year, steering lock difficult to get off, eventually it would not come off at all. Had to get the breakdown man out - he took the lock barrel out and just started it with a screwdriver.

Ended up just replacing all the locks.

Apparently the locks are made of cheap metal so they wear out quickly - mine had only done 30,000 miles.

I got a brand new full lock set off Ebay for about £40, took me a couple of hours to fit, and about £20 to have 2 new keys cut so I could put the imobiliser chips in.

By the way is it a Mk2 or 3 fiesta, its just the Mk3 came out in 1989?

EDIT - just seen your profile picture, you need to update profile information as it says 1989 fiesta. Sorry :)

#4 aliturk

aliturk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

If the steering lock is engaged you usually have to move the steering wheel slightly to turn the ignition key don't think that it's a problem but keep your eye on it

Yes I'll keep an eye.  It wouldn't bother me but the manual says to disengage steering lock, depress the clutch or turn the key.  Maybe the steering lock unlocks electronically normally, but the method I'm using is a sort of emergency manual unlock.  I'll email the dealer.  I never normally engage the steering lock - waste of time in this day and age I think. By the way just updated my profile, it's a brand new fiesta I'm having this issue with.

#5 Willy

Willy

Mountune'd 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium (Midnight Sky)

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,320 posts
  • Name: Willy
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium EcoBoost 125
Contributor

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:29 AM   Best Answer

It's all normal guys. The steering wheel has an automatic electronic lock which locks when you lock the car. If you leave the steering wheel turned when you lock it you'll find it hard to unlock later. As said before you will need to wiggle the wheel to release the lock. No need for a trip to the dealer. Best way to avoid this happening is to leave your wheels strait when you've parked :P

#6 aliturk

aliturk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

It's all normal guys. The steering wheel has an automatic electronic lock which locks when you lock the car. If you leave the steering wheel turned when you lock it you'll find it hard to unlock later. As said before you will need to wiggle the wheel to release the lock. No need for a trip to the dealer. Best way to avoid this happening is to leave your wheels strait when you've parked :P

That's what a mate of mine metioned, and the wheels were hard locked to the left.  I shall keep the wheels straight next time i park :-)

#7 LeroyE

LeroyE

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Name: Leroy
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta mk 7.5 in Mustard Olive

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

wow it's the first time i'm seeing another hot mustard/mustard olive :P

Sorry for going off topic :P

#8 aliturk

aliturk

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

wow it's the first time i'm seeing another hot mustard/mustard olive :P

Sorry for going off topic :P

It's certainly easy to locate at busy car parks :-)

#9 LeroyE

LeroyE

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Name: Leroy
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta mk 7.5 in Mustard Olive

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

It's certainly easy to locate at busy car parks :-)

hahahha. I can imagine this situation: Dude, where's my car??!! I don't know, but mines right over there :P

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users