Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Diesel Glow Plug Indicator Flashing

Mondeo2003

First post!

I have a mondeo Ghia X 130ps TDCi Diesel (2003) . The car has served me well with 120k on the clock, but it recently has developed a bit of a problem which i'd love your help on.

When driving in third/Fourth/Fifth gear, if I accelerate sharply the "glow plug indicator" starts flashing - In some circumstances it flashes AND the engine cuts out. However when i restart the engine, the flashing stops. No other problems, no black smoke, no other light flashing etc.

A bit puzzled by this behavior and what I should do. No point getting the codes read as no light flashes after i've switched off the car. I'd like to keep the car, its a Ghia X and has served me well.

Would appreciate any thoughts and if you need more information I can provide.

First post!

I have a mondeo Ghia X 130ps TDCi Diesel (2003) . The car has served me well with 120k on the clock, but it recently has developed a bit of a problem which i'd love your help on.

When driving in third/Fourth/Fifth gear, if I accelerate sharply the "glow plug indicator" starts flashing - In some circumstances it flashes AND the engine cuts out. However when i restart the engine, the flashing stops. No other problems, no black smoke, no other light flashing etc.

A bit puzzled by this behavior and what I should do. No point getting the codes read as no light flashes after i've switched off the car. I'd like to keep the car, its a Ghia X and has served me well.

Would appreciate any thoughts and if you need more information I can provide.

Hello and welcome

The (orange) glow plug indicator also acts as a EML (engine management light) - it is the ECU (engine control unit) protecting the engine from a percieved or actual fault and or conditions outside the engine/ cars operating parameters - there is every reason to read the fault codes as they are stored after the fault occurs and may help you diagnose the problem, potentially saving you a lot of time and money - you will need a Ford protocol compatible OBD1 code reader, , probably an F- super or a bluefin, other readeds will not work as your car is pre 2004/ OBD11 - have you blanked your EGR valve yet? (solid plate), when was the last time you changed your fuel filter/ did you use a cheap pattern one? if not done recently, there should be no harm in doing the "service" items - the inlet manifold can get clogged up and the VNT can get coked up & jam , the injectors can also play up, could be loads of things

Hi mate im a newbe here

I'm in the same boat as you.. i have a 130hp 2004 zetec s tdci with the same problem.. have tryed a new fuel filter albeit a cheap one but its the same as the one thats been on for the last 12 months with no problem.. andbits still the same.. i have a code reader and it showing fault p0251.. pump metering/ injector/ cam roller.. it seems to be a generic and not specific code so i think an injector leak off test is next on the cards.. i will let you know how i get on but would be open to other suggestions form anyone who has similar problems..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Ford OC mobile app

my fuel filter cost a grand total of £8&vat(after discount),& works perfectly.ive never believed that myth of having to use Bosch fuel filters. Ive opened loads of filters & theyre basically all the same. Spoke to guy who owns the main local motor factors,weeks ago,& he says he's only had a dozen aftermarket fuel-filters come back faulty in 40years. (at most).

(now thats 100 a week x 50 x 40 = 200,000/12 =

thats ONLY 1 in 16,666 that was faulty. thats no bad going for supposed cheaper than original manufacturers filters.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a newbie here and mine doing same problem and spoke to a friend who's a mechanic and has said it could need injectors recoding as ecu sometimes losses memory of the correct injector spray ie during acceleration, I'm hoping this is the case as I've seen the prices of injectors and don't want to go down that route and also been told it could be camshaft sensor, will keep you updated as my mechanic friend is going to hook up and read faults then recode, fingers crossed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club