Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Head Unit Wiring Loom Replacement

RikkisGotaZetecS

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and only yesterday got my Fiesta Zetec S. I hate the current (after market) CD player that is currently in there. So I went to change it to one I've had laying about for the past few weeks, when I discovered a problem. When the lad, or whoever before him, changed the radio, they cut wires rather then buying an adapter. The problem with this is they cut so close to the orignal block that I can't get any of the wires stipped enough so I could crimp it with the orignal wires and sort out this mess. So I am stuck on what to do now?

Any advise would be great.

Cheers.

Rikki

Hi Richard,

Sounds like you will need a new loom for sure, however, it would be costly unfortunately.

Is this the head unit altogether that is ripped out? or is it just the likes of the stalk that is removed?

Sounds like if crimping is not an option you could try soldering the wires together instead.

Hi Richard,

Sounds like you will need a new loom for sure, however, it would be costly unfortunately.

Is this the head unit altogether that is ripped out? or is it just the likes of the stalk that is removed?

post-47955-138359068027_thumb.jpg

I have looked at that previously that. The problem is, is it's the wiring going to the grey block. I've looked up the lead and can't see anywhere I can plug the black blocks in. post-47955-138359447231_thumb.jpg

post-47955-138359449499_thumb.jpg

You may be able to solder those connections with care but as you say crimping is a non starter.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Any possibility of getting the contacts out of the block, solder/heatshrink and push back into the block?

My thinking was to buy the new block/adaptor. Cut the white block away leaving enough cable free. Cut the old block away completely and connect up the new one to the existing wires. Then buy an ISO adaptor to run to the new head unit. If that makes sense.

Pop to a breakers, get one cut off a donor. Cut it off with plenty of room then connect each in turn to the wires in the loom.

So I took the option of buying the loom from a scrappy and then crimping the old to the new. I also got an adapter so I could just plug mine straight in. BUT... No power. Where am I going wrong?

just checked the fuses, when plug the unit in, the fuse (I think its f14) glows. When I unplug all and start the engine fuse f44 (I think) glows.

what am I doing wrong?

HELP! :D

When you say the fuse glows... Do you have the LED fuses or is it looking like its getting so hot the fuse is glowing but not burning out?

When you say the fuse glows... Do you have the LED fuses or is it looking like its getting so hot the fuse is glowing but not burning out?

i wouldnt think that there glowing as if they were going to blow but i am a complete dummy and i honestly dont know. one only comes on when the car has started and/or if i have actaully connected the radio.

talk to me like a !Removed!, because i just dont undestand

Fuses don't glow so not sure what you mean. There are two live feeds to the radio normally. One is live all the time to store the memory on the radio. The other is a switched live from the ignition to power the radio.

Sounds like LED fuses that glow when blown to me.

Try replacing them and see how you go.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Agree with Clive, if you have a fuse that looks like a normal fuse, but with a small LED light that lights up it indicates the fuse has blown.

Silly question but is it the right ampage fuse? if you take that fuse out, you should see that it has a number on it... whats the number?I wonder if you have a 3amp and not a 5amp fuse?

Do you have any subwoofers wired in?

I love this site. You learn something new every day. I didn't even know these LED fuses existed and I have been around cars for well over 30 years.

Hit the nail on the head there sir! A pop down to Halfords a few days back and actually found out why (sorry about the late reply!) Replaced them and bobs your uncle. I have music! Thanks for your help. As a newbie to the forum its greatly appreciated and I'm glad I signed up!

Thanks

So it was LED fuses fitted then?

Handy little beggars ain't they?

Should be fitted as standard IMHO.

Yeah they were. I've fitting just the usual simply because everyone wants £3-£4 for just 2. So I'll be looking on eBay for some soon :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ford OC mobile app

Fuses are ten a penny on there, but with LED's they are a bit more expensive. If you do find a cracker of a deal, please do let us know! I got about 200 fuses before for about £4.50 so you can get some good deals!