Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Discounted Car Insurance: Owners Club insurance could save you money on your car insurance. Get a quote

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

Incontro

Footwell Lighting Mod - Wiring

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Over the weekend, I checked the car, and to my huge disappointment, it appears it does not have the footwell lighting sockets installed. I checked some of the older threads on this topic, and have gathered that:

(1) I will need to buy the sockets and wire them.

(2) For the passenger side, apparently it is possible to:

- take the glovebox out

- find the loom/wires that were originally meant for the footwell lighting

-tape some wires to it, and channel it down from behind the glovebox, past the HVAC in the footwell, and to the metal bracket where the bulb is supposed to be.

So here are my questions:

(1) Where do I find the part for the bulb holder? Any other parts necessary? Any links?

(2) Is the method for wiring the passenger side correct?

(3) How would I go about wiring the drivers side? Is it easier vs. the passenger?

(4) Anything else I have missed out?

(This is my first ever car mod btw, but I have a knowledge of electronics.) I hope this isn't too time consuming, but I would love to have some decent night time lighting...

post-46790-0-03908600-1383583462_thumb.j

post-46790-0-14835700-1383583470_thumb.j

take a look where I have marked that's where the foot well lights sit

post-46790-0-14835700-1383583470_thumb_z

take a look where I have marked that's where the foot well lights sit

post-46790-0-14835700-1383583470_thumb_z

Yeah mate, though its empty, but do you have any idea on how to wire the drivers side?

I think you can take one feed for both sides off the interior light as the two I have fade away at the same

time as that the interior light go's out as for light fitting try maplins

I think you can take one feed for both sides off the interior light as the two I have fade away at the same

time as that the interior light go's out as for light fitting try maplins

What's the easiest way to go about wiring this then? The passenger side seems easy enough, but what about the drivers side?

EDIT: To be more clear, where would I pass the wiring through, for the driver's side, and connect it to where? Is there an easy way to route it to the glove box connection for example?

do a search on foot well lighting on the forum there a lot of post about them mine

were already installed so didn't have to do them

two options. If you need to install a new set of wiring, make it easy on yourself, buy an illuminated ignition barrel and then splice this feed. Then you can take speaker wire from there and run it through.

If you look to the right side of the dashboard, there is a small panel that can be pulled out, this can be used to put the wiring in and drop it down into the footwells?

James, what I really wanted to know was if there is any remote chance that the wiring or bulb holders will be BEHIND the drivers footwell panel or something like that. Because I remember Lenny saying in an old thread that: "if you remove the lower kick panel from either side you may find the bulb holders." --> http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/18088-focus-mk2-mk25-footwell-lights/page-7

I would rather not have to do the ignition barrel yet, if the wiring is already there?

it should be behind the kick panels if its there, yes. If you can track the wire under the glovebox, you could just run it behind the centre console and into the driver light?

Incontro likes this

You could just run the wires directly from the courtesy light too, can just get some LED strips from t'ebay and are very cheap, plus will be on the same circuit too, that's what I did on my focus

I've knocked up a PDF guide, I'll post it up later when at my computer.

If read in conjunction with my ignition barrel light guide (more details abour getting the cable from the courtesy light to the dash area) should be useful.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks a tonne Clive, this is all I ever need to do this mod now.

Also thanks to everyone who replied.

Quite literally!, if we were American you would be living to 'serve and protect'.

Incontro likes this