Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Capri Exhaust Joint

will689

Hi all,

It's been a while but after many years I am finally starting the complete restoration of my 1971 Mk 1 Ford Capri 2000 GT XLR.

Basically just stripping the car at present to see how bad the rust is and making the car light enough to go onto a chassis tilt which we are using.

However, the reason for my post is that after removing the exhaust from the car (leaving the exhaust manifold attached to the egine for now) I noticed that the exhaust joints (large washers which get sandwiched between the end of the exhaust manifold and the next piece of the exhaust) are badly corroded and almost dintegrated when we took the exhaust off.

I have Goolged til my fingers are bleeding and cannot find them on the net.

Wondered if anyone on the forum has had cause to replace them and could suggest where to get them from?

Thanks

any chance of putting a pic up, trying to picture what you mean but dont recall anything from your description

Thanks for replying. Here's a picture of them, hope they look familiar :-)

post-32171-138375983298_thumb.jpg

aah, the sealing rings, dont ever remember them being fitted on the olf fords...

used to be made of either metal/carbon mix or a wire mesh

still see them on far more modern cars so maybe worth checking at an exhaust manufacturers/suppliers, doubt they will have a listing for old fords but just need to get the diameters right as they come in various sizes

Ok thanks. I have spoken to a local exhaust fitters and they have said I can have a rummage in their spares box so will see if I am lucky! The search continues

Brilliant!!! Thanks, that's exactly what I'm after.

It's funny cos I have a copy of the official Capri parts list from 1969 and it only shows a "Spacer (from exhaust manifold to muffler inlet pipe)" for the 1300/1600 GT, not for the 2000 GT.

post-32171-138376888527_thumb.jpg

Found another book which covers only the 2000 and 3000 GT and has a picture of the gasket

post-32171-138383151383_thumb.jpg

Final update. Couldn't find the right size on the net, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere. In the meantime, I took the old ones to my local exhaust garage (Harvey Tyres & Exhausts in Longton) and after a quick rummage in their odds and sods bin found two the right size !!! They threw in some replacement bolts and bronze nuts all for £10

post-32171-138401447011_thumb.jpg