rubbedarches

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: chris
  • Ford Model: mondeo st24
  • Year: 1997

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

Am going to buy a set of steel rims as don't want to wreck my momo wheels over winter. Will go for a set of winter tyres and tempted with a set of all season tyres on my alloys. Will report my findings. Seems a good talking point

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Ford Model: MONDEO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

I have driven on summer tyres and all season tyres my good man and neither can compare to winter tyres, it doesn't even have to be snowing. And i did this with a car that had no driver aid, no ABS, no traction control and no power steering and i stand by my word, summer or all season cannot compare to winter tyres in winter furthermore if the car is a keeper you only need to buy winter tyres once and a set of steels

I agree Kurt, summer and all season tyres dont come close to winter tyres in the winter, the name "winter" kinda gives it away.

But theres always some people that disagree no matter what you say or what proof you show them, they will always come up with something, such as "ive never had an accident and have driven in snow for years" or "its all a con, drive with less pressure in your tyres" When they do eventualy have an accident because of lack of grip or their tyres are worn on the outside more than the centre, they will still disagree with you :lol:

#18 stooge75

stooge75

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo tdci zetec

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

lol. im out on this one :driving:

#19 rubbedarches

rubbedarches

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Some very well.made points looks like I have started.something

#20 stevegtuk

stevegtuk

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Ford Model: MONDEO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Some very well.made points looks like I have started.something

Yep you have lol.

This is one of those marmite discussions, you either love them or hate them, similar to things like induction kits. There can be arguments for and against, and it is one subject that will never be agreed by everyone.

By the way, the comments I made previously about people disagreeing, was not intended to offend, I only used those examples in my post as I couldnt remember of the other personal reasons people give regarding why not to use winter tyres.

We will all have our own personal reasons for liking or not, and I do not wish to fall out with people over a difference of preference.

#21 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 268 Sleeper
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:27 AM

An important point to make is - have you actually used winter tyres before dismissing them as a waste of time/ money

As someone who has driven with AND without winter/ snow tyres in winter/ snow etc on a FWD Mondeo i would not be without my second set of rims and my snow tyres in the depths of winter

Here is my (snow tyre) story -

Ive had my Mk3 for 8+ years, i had an important job and made a lot of money, but i had to be in a certain place at a certain time, almost no-one else could do this job and it could not be postponed, i could lose a lot of money by not getting to the job/ location

One winter there was a very heavy snow fall, it was like artic,conditions, i had to dig the car out of the smow, even after i dug the car out (it took a long time) the car would not move at all, it just spun the wheels as soon as i let the clutch out, i had to put carpets etc down,for the car to move even inches, i let some of the air out of the front tyres, it was slightly better, i disconnected the tuning box, and connected the clutch restrictor (less power and a softer power delivery)- it could actually move now, i could still not get up hills etc (it was a sudden snowfall and it had caught the gritters out, so the roads were unsalted, the day after only the main routes had been salted) - i was one-up, so i filled the passenger compartment with weight (weightlifting weights/ lead rolls etc) - 80kgs - i put the spare wheel behind the front seats and emptied everything behind the rear wheels - i fitted my best (summer) tyres (narrow ones 205-55-16s) to the front, and my second best to the back -

this made the car actually drivable in the snow (still slid about a bit) my mate got snow tyres for his ST - they were impressive - i got some for myself for the next winter -

with the snow tyres (and the "winter" setup) it transforms the car in the snow/ slush/ low temps, much more sure- footed, - never got stuck, went up hills 4x4s could not get up, could go almost anywhere much, much safer on the brakes - highly recommended        

#22 rubbedarches

rubbedarches

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I am not offended at all its very interesting hearing every ones point og view.

#23 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Ford Enthusiast

• Super Mod
  • 10,968 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus CMAX 1.6 CVT TDCI
  • Year: 2005
Contributor

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

This comment isnt meant to sound sarcastic (so please dont take it as so!) but the clue is in the name :) Winter Tyres are designed specifically to improve grip at cold ground temperatures. Long story short, summer tyres are more grippy at the warmer temperatures, but when they get too cold, the rubber firms up, decreasing the resistance against the road and thus reducing the grip. Winter Tyres are designed in a way that the tyres still have an excellent grip in the cold, the tyre doesnt firm up until much lower temperatures.

The way to look at it is the same braking efficiency you have in summer tyres in the summer, is how winter tyres perform in the cold. LIkewise, you see that summer tyres can (and do) struggle to brake more in the cold, the general performance drops, in the same way that if you had winter tyres in the summer, you would see the same poor efficiency.

Its definitely not worth dismissing them. If you can afford to buy the spare wheels and the spare tyres, they are a second to none, safety, driveability and capability of the cars is drastically improved. This coupled with a well prepared car means that winter is as much a breeze as summer. Plus as you have two sets of tyres, they last longer than usual as you fit the tyres to the conditions of the car and don't overexert them.

Alternatively, if like me you dont have the cash in your pocket to invest as far, there are other alternatives. I recently bought tyre socks for the car. £40 from Asda. I will be driving all year round tyres when the worst of the weather comes, and I tend to be able to manage most of it with sensible driving, plenty of thought and keeping to the conditions the car can handle, but if I do get stuck, I have a backup plan to get me out of a tight spot.

#24 BOF

BOF

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

I just wanted to add a few little things to the sensible points above:

• Not all summer tyres are the same and not all winter tyres are the same. Some Summer tyres are really bad on snow (I think, maybe, primarily the ones that come from the countries, such as Germany, where Winter tyres are 'de rigeur' and Summer tyres aren't expected to ever see snow) and some Summer tyres are merely 'not so good'. Equally, the cheap Winter tyres  tend to be less good than the expensive ones, and while even cheap Winter tyres can be ok on snow, that's not all that you are expecting them to do - you will likely leave them on for the coldest three or four months of the year, and they will be expected to cope with all the conditions that occur in that time, and those conditions will include more 'cold and dry' and 'cold and wet' days than actual snow. This is where the cheap Winter tyres often fall down - performance on the more normal conditions. (Of course, ignore that if you only fit them for a couple of days when someone has actually Tippexed out the landscape - changing tyres just for snowy days is a pain, though.)
  • In 'Auto Express' (warning: a video) they also had success, surprisingly, with a 'spray'. Now, tyre compound softener sprays have been existing for quite some time, but I was as surprised as they were that the spray they tested gave a big improvement. Softening the rubber must have an impact on wear, but I'd hate to guess how much. Like the 'sock' could be a worthwhile last ditch (sorry!) measure, if you don't find the ditch before you apply the spray.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users