Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0Ltr Diesel Engine Rattle?

Carlos-fandango

Good morning,

I'm hoping that someone may be able to advise on what this may be, I have a 2.0ltr TDCi and we recently took her on holiday, while changing gear I experienced a strange rattle noise while changing gear, the rattle slowly got worse as our holiday went on.

The noise occurs between 2500 and 3000 rpm, it can be replicated by revving engine while stationary (Clutch has no effect), it happens for a few seconds while changing gear and can be really loud.

I have only had the car just over a month and i'm worried that the noise could be caused by turbo flutter or something similarly expensive? my first thought when I heard it was that a heat shield or cover was loose but the fact it got worse then seemed to stoped for a few hours I fear its not something so simple?

My experience is that noises like this never fix them selves and I am worried that I will be told that what ever the fault is its not covered under the warranty

Cheers for any help you can offer

Carl

Is it definitely in the engine bay?

At this time of year, even my 16mth old Focus can get a bit of dash rattle at the right resonant frequency from the engine.

• Like 1

Is it definitely in the engine bay?

At this time of year, even my 16mth old Focus can get a bit of dash rattle at the right resonant frequency from the engine.

I have had the bonnet open and with assistance had the engine rev, it is definately coming from the engine area but its difficult to pin point with out removing all the covers and while its under warranty i'm worried about damaging anything and invalidating it all.

Sounds like an engine mount to me, or, perhaps a slightly loose bracket. Have a feel of the likes of the turbo intercooler pipe, does it seem to be shaking? I recon the bracket isnt fully screwed down so a bit of vibration at those revs is causing it to knock.

Sounds like an engine mount to me, or, perhaps a slightly loose bracket. Have a feel of the likes of the turbo intercooler pipe, does it seem to be shaking? I recon the bracket isnt fully screwed down so a bit of vibration at those revs is causing it to knock.

I have spoken to the dealer and there going to look at the faults on Friday, all going well I will update once I know more.

Worst case scenario, your possibly looking at a clutch thrust bearing I suspect, but hopefully it wont be serious!

Hi Guys, update on this, just had it returned by local EMG garage and I've been told that the issue was the brake pipe was rattling on another pipe I think he said it was the inter-cooler pipe but i'm not sure.

Not driven her yet so will have to see if this is true, but if this was the cause then I am very happy with them for sorting this out so quickly,

Felt bad having sent the car back with a list of faults and they have covered them all. all for free including collection and return and they even washed her.

couldn't have asked for better service

Sounds good, I would check the turbo intercooler pipe for damage though, make sure the vibrations and clattering hasnt cracked the pipe