Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.8Tdci Grinding Noise And Power Loss

lll Rich lll

Hi,

I have a focus mk1 1.8tdci and for the past 2 days my car seems to drop in power alot in all gears and when it does i can hear a loud grinding noise at the same time, it can drop in revs so much in 1st and 2nd gear that the car stalls.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard

Welcome to the family Richard,

Sounds like you might be suffering a turbo failure I'm afraid.

Do you have any boost when you put your foot down?

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

when this problem does not occur i still get boost and everything seems fine.

sometimes when im pulling away or go up through the gears it seems like its misfiring and thats when i get the noise when the revs drop rapidly and i press a little harder on the pedal. if its just misfiring i thought maybe it has something to do with the electrics as it is now very damp weather and since i got this car i have fixed several faults regarding the electrics.

thanks again for the reply

Richard

Hi Richard,

So you still get boost most of the time, but you also get this misfire... It could well be that you have something small like a timing issue, as you say caused by the moisture etc. Likewise it could well be that the turbo is giving up the ghost. I think we need more info really.

What mileage have you got on the car? what were the recent issues that you addressed? are you able to read any error codes from it?

Hi,

jeebowhite

Problem solved,

as i had an idea of spraying my electrics with wd-40 i decided to give my cables a wiggle and i knocked my brake vacuum hose (by accident) and noticed it was broke. (NOT KNOWING WHAT THIS PART WAS FOR OF COURSE) i went for a drive to my local ford parts supplier and decided i will just leave this pipe off :unsure: (REALLY STUPID IDEA) I got about 500m up the road before i realised i had no brakes and nearly smashed into another car, good job the lane next to me was empty :) i did not think the brake vacuum hose would cause all of them problems.

Thank you very much for trying to help with my problem it is very much appreciated

Thanks,

Richard

How very odd! well I am glad you managed to make it there alive, and in one piece (both car and mind!) that is a new one though, I too would have wondered how it could possibly have affected so much!

How did you get it to Fords in the end if you had no brakes lol? was it gearbox and handbrake stopping all the way?

no i pulled over and managed to do a bodge job on it which lasted long enough to order the part and get me home in one piece lol which im glad it did as i live in a horrible place for cars :angry: but thanks again for your help p.s the first thing i notice what was wrong the other day was that my handbrake light was flickering really dim untill i braked and then it came fully on. But yes this was a very strange problem i thought it was going to be something much bigger.

Thanks,

Richard

Glad its sorted never the less! I hope it holds well for you but I think we can mark this one solved! :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club