Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service Ramps Vs Axel Stands

sonic113

OK I'm getting new Axel stands as my old pin ones has had their day. Now I see the rachet type ones and was thinking of getting this type instead of the pin ones. The focus is around 1600kg I think so if I'm right that's about 1.6 tonne , so 2 or 3 tonnes axel stands would be OK to use on the focus. I'm looking Just some advice before I buy.

Are the rachet type axel stands safe as the old pin type ones or safer?

Wud u trust them OK when under the car?

I was also looking at car service ramps. What's anyone's opinion on these. Also what's the best ones to get and has anyone made homemade ramps?

Thanks.

I have a pair of pin type axle stands, I was replacing the turbo intecooler pipe and they seemed fine. I think they were 2 tonne stands, and were supporting the Focus CMAX (about the same weight) and I had no issues.

Best thing to do, set up the axle stands, and then put a steel wheel or something under the two raised wheels, car in gear and handbrake on as a precaution. I couldnt do this so had two axle stands, a bottle jack on one side and the scissor jack on the other, just in case something went!

Just when were on the subjectm where do you put your Axel stands under car? And where do you jack it? I use the metal points beside the fill at each wheel. Any pics wud be good. Cheers

I tend to put Axle stands on the axle (not meaning to sound sarcastic!) where the axle widens towards the wheels. it gives the best support and the most room for maneuverability. I dont think I have any pictures though at the moment unfortunately.

With the jack, I tend to jack at the sill where the sills have the marks underneath the drivers door. I had to start with the scissor jack, then (because the bottle jack was about 3mm too tall to just go straight under) then I jack the car on the sill with the bottle jack to get it high enough to use :)

Although the pictures arent perfect (hopefully though they will give you some guidance) look at my guide in my signature for changing the intercooler pipe. I remember putting some pictures on there of the car on the jacks / stands but they might help to give you an indication.

OK I'm getting new Axel stands as my old pin ones has had their day. Now I see the rachet type ones and was thinking of getting this type instead of the pin ones. The focus is around 1600kg I think so if I'm right that's about 1.6 tonne , so 2 or 3 tonnes axel stands would be OK to use on the focus. I'm looking Just some advice before I buy.

Are the rachet type axel stands safe as the old pin type ones or safer?

Wud u trust them OK when under the car?

I was also looking at car service ramps. What's anyone's opinion on these. Also what's the best ones to get and has anyone made homemade ramps?

Thanks.

For the record A Focus ST225 weighs about 1400Kgs, many Focus are a lot lighter even a Mondeo 2.0L diesel estate does not weigh as much as 1600kgs

The ratchet type are safer and easier to use, but are often more expensive

ideally, you need a heavy duty, high lift trolly jack, that can get under the car without having to use another jack 1st (safer/ easier/ quicker) a big, wide 4-tonne+ one will be a lot more stable than a smaller one, a lot of bottle jacks have a very small contact area (so can easily damage the car especially if badly placed) and a small footprint so can often fall over easily - i try to avoid them if possible

if you have a low car, ramps might catch on the spoiler etc and you might have to have special long ones made

Axle stands can be used when the car is not running, or you want to work on the exhaust without burning your fingers, ramps mean you need to drive onto them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club