• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: Sarah
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta
  • Year: 2003

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hi

I am having an absolute nightmare with my new 2003 1.4 Zetec Fiesta that I recently got conned in buying via Ebay a week ago.

Upon buying the vehicle there was no problem with the engine it ran like a dream - yes accelerator was tied down with a cable tie - what I have found out since taking to a garage!!!

The issue is now the car doesn't run properly in low gears when coming to a junction it conks out..It intermittently conks out when it heats up? Revs of the engine misfire also.

The garage took the head gasket off and replaced two valves on the outlet exhaust as they were leaking.  It looked like the head had been taken off previously? and valves were not lapped in properly and wrong sealant used for the rock cover when previously worked on (now panic is setting in).

The garage also replaced spark plugs, ignition coil, gasket and cleansed the catalytic converter.  It has improved slightly but still conks out and takes a while sometimes for revs to come down when in higher gears?  They consulted other garages in the area and none of them could understand why the car was missing revs?

The car judders on low gears/idle?

Please any help would be appreciated I have now spent £1200 buying it and another £800 trying to rectify this dodgey car sale..

Regards,

Sarah

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,326 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

Saying that the accelerator is held with a cable tie is it possible that the pedal is moving out of range causing the throttle to drop too low?

#3 sazwahhh

sazwahhh

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

No the seller did this only to cheat his way in selling the car to keep the revs up so it wouldn't stop running - well that's what the garage said..it didn't work as half way home It began idling and it continues to since garage took it off..im thinking of possibilities of:

-Idle Speed Control Valve?

-Oxygen Sensor?

-MAF Sensor?

-Blocked Catalytic converter?

-Faulty Crankcase breathing pipe?

Although these are common idle/misfire issues I've listed I have no idea which one it would be?!

Thanks, Sarah

#4 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
  • Year: 2009
Contributor

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

get the garage to check the coil pack, these are prone to cracking down the middle and can cause a misfire on 1 or 2 cylinders, leading to a farely heavy vibration and also poor idle issue

#5 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

trying to piece this together...

you say it had a misfire, result being that garage removed the head and replaced a couple of exhaust valves...can only conclude this was done due to poor results in compression tests..

you then say that plugs/coil pack was changed along with cleaning cat..

what isnt clear is, is the misfire still present or are we talking just a idle/revs problem

taking it for granted for the moment that it no longer misfires....

has ecu been checked for faults?

has the exhaust gasses been tested?

is it just a bad idle?

what do you mean by 'missing revs' and when does this happen?

#6 Vendee

Vendee

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2005

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

No the seller did this only to cheat his way in selling the car to keep the revs up so it wouldn't stop running - well that's what the garage said..it didn't work as half way home It began idling and it continues to since garage took it off..im thinking of possibilities of:

-Idle Speed Control Valve?

-Oxygen Sensor?

-MAF Sensor?

-Blocked Catalytic converter?

-Faulty Crankcase breathing pipe?

Although these are common idle/misfire issues I've listed I have no idea which one it would be?!

Thanks, Sarah

You say that the coil and plugs were replaced but what about the HT leads? That would be No.1 thing to change if they haven't been done already. Best to use genuine Ford/Motorcraft leads on this engine. As for the MAF Sensor, sometimes just disconnecting it can confirm the problem i.e. the misfire dissappears with it disconnected. The MAF can sometimes be cleaned rather than replaced. The other thing that can cause idle problems is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Good luck.

#7 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

#8 sazwahhh

sazwahhh

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Ok so it doesn't have a MAF on my car?

Someone on another forum said I can check the throttle but awaiting response on how to do it ..

There are common problems with the throttle position sensor on some Fiestas. The quickest check I know is to put a multimeter across the sensor, and open and close the throttle smoothly. The resistance should change just as smoothly with no 'swinging' needle

Also ive been told it could be an idle control valve? Both the throttle and idle control valve can be removed and cleaned to see if there is improvement am I right??

Thanks

#9 sazwahhh

sazwahhh

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Throttle control unit (throttle body) would be a good idea to change if you have a rev / idle issue.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item417863c901

There is no MAF and with the car having an electronically controlled accelerator there is no TPS as such, only on the accelerator pedal itself and should that fail you will get an EAC fail message on the dash.

Yes the EAC lit up and juddered to a stop.  How would I test the pedal?

Thanks

#10 Dan62

Dan62

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta
Contributor

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

#11 VickiC

VickiC

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Name: Victoria
  • Ford Model: focus st wannabe!!!
  • Year: 2010

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

blooming shocking what people do!!! Good luck

#12 craiglr

craiglr

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Name: craig
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

did you pay through paypal or with credit card and also was the car described as faulty on ebay if not then you should be able to get your money back.

#13 craiglr

craiglr

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Name: craig
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST-2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yes the EAC lit up and juddered to a stop.  How would I test the pedal?

Thanks

did the garage not put the car on a diagnostics tester to check for faults cos if a light has come on the dash then they should be able to pin point the problem, that would have been the first step i would have taken if the light was on the dash.

#14 sazwahhh

sazwahhh

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:58 AM

did the garage not put the car on a diagnostics tester to check for faults cos if a light has come on the dash then they should be able to pin point the problem, that would have been the first step i would have taken if the light was on the dash.

Yes the garage put it on the diagnostic machine and valve 3 came up hence being replaced but to be honest there is no difference apart from the EAC light being off??

Im going to take it to the electronic garage tomorrow to do tests as im not car minded unfortunately! So more money down the drain..

the car was bought via Ebay but with Cash but Ebay policy is that  they do not cover cars with their money back policy so be very aware when buying on Ebay...its put me off totally!

Thanks

#15 sazwahhh

sazwahhh

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

The pedal has dual potentiometers, so in case of failure there is a limp home backup.

Pot 1 is pin1 to pin5, wiper pin6

Pot 2 is pin2 to pin4, wiper pin3

If you have EAC fail its highly likely to be the pedal or the throttle body, you might not see a problem checking the pedal with a meter and its not recommended to dismantle the throttle body, ideally replace them.

Brilliant thank you I will pass it onto the garage tomorrow as im not the best!

Really appreciate your help! :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Zetec, 1.4, fiesta, idle, shaking

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users