Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Knocking Noise After A Journey

The Dark Knight

Started intermittent but now it's every journey. Start the car and all is well, get to work for example and there's the knocking noise. I can even feel the vibration slightly through the brake pedal but the revs are fine and calm. Drop the window and all sounds smooth and well.

Turn engine off and back on again sometimes clears it but sometimes it's still there.

Any thoughts?

You will need to listen carefully and have volume up to make it out on the quick video I took with my iPhone.

trim.58951651-31CC-42AD-9B0B-41DCD3CD0F94.MOV

Video doesn't seem to be working above. Doesn't upload to photobucket either. Oh well

• 2 months later...

Didn't get any replies to this initially but a girl at work asked her husband who is a mechanic and works on all his own cars. Based on how I described this issue and a brief audio recording, his initial thoughts are that it could be thrust bearing on clutch or output shaft on gearbox.

Any thoughts?

As the video doesn't work I wouldn't be able to help in anyway, except for that if it is the clutch bearing pressing the clutch to the floor would stop it from doing it, of there are no rev fluctuations then it could be all sorts of things loose engine mount, maybe an old auxiliary belt they can make some funky noises on these because they are stretchy, could you upload the video to youtube or pm it?

Edit. The zetec se engine is a beauty for making funny noises from all directions.haha

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

To be honest the audio recording I've got on my iPhone is far better so I will try to upload that at some point. This knocking also occurs when stationary at lights and in gear so not just in neutral. Also, if I get out and open the bonnet and close it again, the noise stops! It is so annoying and is now happening all the time. Of course, it will conveniently not happen when Ford have it in just like it didn't happen in December but then did it on the drive home!

Check all of the things that can move then, make sure the air box is attached at the back, wiggle the coolant bottle, push the power steering resovoir down because that can pop up, make sure the battery is bolted down, check the radiator look at the heat shields all over the bulkhead as they have rubbish screws that rust and break off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I also have the same noise on my car, its been back to Ford twice but they cant seem to find anything wrong with it. the knocking starts when the first block comes on the temperature gauge and the goes off when its up to temperature. It only started when it was getting cold in November and I think its getting worst.

It's all aluminium there is no way for the noise not to be present, it should go away after a few minutes, once the aluminium has expanded and the looseness has subsided, regular long drives in my experience stop the noise being an issue, it seems also a factor that the thin oil used also returns to the sump very quickly after shutdown meaning a dry ish top end which is where the main body of movement occurs in valves and cams.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, with regards to the engine noise, mine has been having the same problems over the last 3 months, and it's getting worse as time goes by. When I took the car for its first service I did mention the loud engine noise and the mechanic said he would check it out but when I returned to collect it I was told all was ok and it was the characteristic of the ecoboost engine and nothing to worry about. The thing is it's intermittent and happens on a cold and warm engine while idle,but it's getting louder and more frequent aswell. The car drives and pulls away ok too, but with this engine noise it's starting to take the fun out of driving it. I'm having to take the car back in on Friday for re- work on a faulty heater box( heating controls inside car?) as they need to take the dash out again to fix a bolt so I've mentioned about the engine noise again and hope to get an answer. I've also taken a video of the engine noise so will try to post it later. The car is a 13 plate 1l ecoboost with around 11800 miles on the clock. Thanks Mike.

I completely understand your frustration, mine is making a noise which is most noticeable when setting off from a cold start. And yes it does take some of the fun out of driving, knowing there could be something wrong with the engine, even though it seems to drive ok. Taking it into the dealer today so they can keep it overnight and hopefully find what's making the noise when the engine's cold.

Hi Phil 87, thanks for the post and sorry to hear your having the same problems with your engine like mine. Be interesting to see what Fords Have to say about it and compare stories so fingers xd we will have an answer tomorrow....maybe!

Hi Phil 87, thanks for the post and sorry to hear your having the same problems with your engine like mine. Be interesting to see what Fords Have to say about it and compare stories so fingers xd we will have an answer tomorrow....maybe!

I just got it back from the dealer, the problem seems to have gone away by itself, but only time will tell. It could only happen when I drive up a slope (like my parking space at home), but who knows. Anyway I've been told by about 4 different mechanics that there's nothing wrong with it, so I'm just going to try and enjoy the car now even if it is making funny noises :)

Just been told that one of the spark plugs is shot so this may be the cause of the knocking sound?????? Not too sure about that but wait and see. They are going to replace it and see if it makes a difference so I will update you all later.

Hi The Dark Knight,

Mine is also having the same issues your describing. When the brake is fully down at traffic lights i can feel it, but i can hear it even when the handbrake is on and the engine is ticking. Mine is actually in for its First Year service today, and i have mentioned it to them to take a look at because it is getting worse every week. It has already been in once to the garage for tests but they couldnt spot anything. Will update you guys on how the service goes and if anything is picked up this time.

Just been told that one of the spark plugs is shot so this may be the cause of the knocking sound?????? Not too sure about that but wait and see. They are going to replace it and see if it makes a difference so I will update you all later.

If the plugs were loose it would be firing properly, it would be on 2 Cylinders and pretty much not go anywhere with lights on and all sorts.

Yeah mattdrx my thoughts exactly but will let them try and see what they say, but I'm not getting fobbed off anymore and want it fixed once and for all. The service guy at reception thought it was a pulley at first so this at be the next thing to look at if they can't solve it. To be honest I will be glad to get shut of the car next year because of the poor driving gears, poor mpg, engine noise, heater problems and tyre wear......and my wife drives like miss daisy too.

Hi all, just a quick up date on how things went at the garage today with the car. The engine noise was down to a shot/ damaged spark plug and coil lead?On the ecoboost there is 3 plugs and each have their own coil lead so the car can still run when one fails but apparently this has caused the engine to create a knocking noise!. They have replaced the coil and plug and all is okay for now and drives quieter and smoother too so fingers xd it fixed. Strange that something so simple as a plug could cause so much Trouble. Hope this helps but will keep you posted if any change.

Did they give you a goodie bag of all the parts they changed?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Ford OC mobile app

No they didn't mate?........don't think they had a bag big enough for them parts! Main thing is its going okay for now and regardless of what's been or hasn't been fixed it's running ok.

Quite rare these days. I have never had a spark plug problem but the last time the HT leads broke down was in the 80s in a Ford Cortina. It was all over the place and kept cutting out and my dad had to come and rescue me !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club