Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Pitched Whining Noise - Worse Under Acceleration

kevws77

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help.

When leaving work last night my Focus started making a high-pitched whining sound and this got worse and higher pitched when the accelerator was pressed.

It is the same whether driving or in PARK or Neutral (it is a Mk II, 2006 LX Automatic).

Managed to get home ok and my Wife said the sound wasn't good as I pulled up at home and that there was a kind of dry heat smell as I drove into the car space.

I let it cool down, lifted the bonnet and started it up again. It doesn't sound good.The sound definitely seems to be coming from the alternator area. I left it running quite a while and still the same. My father-in-law had a look on the way to his nightshift and said the same. Definitely alternator area.

I do have some trouble starting it sometimes (previously posted and have tried everything) - it starts and then dies immediately. Normally after doing this once or twice it starts perfectly.

I know it's a bit of guesswork but do any of you know what it could be or has anyone had a similar problem please? or are there any common problems like this please?

I have left it at home today and have a mobile mechanic coming out to check it tomorrow, but it might help if I had a head start.

i know the power steering pump is close to there too.

Can't afford any repairs until I get paid at the end of next week, but at least maybe I can narrow it down a bit.

Thanks very much for any help any of you can give.

Just by the high pitched whine it definatey sounds like the alternator is gone as the belt would increase in speed along with the car to my knowledge.

When my alternator went on my 2005 it was quiet, then on driving home with the AA behind me it started to whine.

Have you got any lights on the dashboard? Did you have any difficulty driving the car (not restricted or limited to certain gears?)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club