Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Having Dpf Removed On Friday

Stu_gw

Hello, apologies for using my first post on here to cover already well trodden ground but......

I bought a C Max Last week, I already knew it had a fault and was in limp mode when I bought it, however I had no idea that replacing the Cat and DPF would cost so much at Fords, been quoted £1500 for the two items. However as I was driving home feeling rather depressed I noticed a garage advertising DPF removal. My first thought was is this legal? And would it ruin my engine eventually? Anyway cut a long story short I had a chat with the garage owner who went through it and I decided to get it done for £350 (it's going in Friday).

Having some reservations now tho......has anyone else had this done and would you recommend it? How easy would it be to have a new one refitted at a later date, once the ECU has been remapped does that mean it could no longer be fitted to the car? What happens at MOT time? The mechanic reckons that as it's just a smoke test I should have no problems.

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Stuart

You're better off without the DPF, it stifles performance and costs a load to maintain.

On an MOT they only fail diesels for excessive smoke, no emissions are read.

As long as the DPF appears to be intact the MOT tester can't fail you, they aren't allowed to dismantle anything to check the internals are present.

The garage guy has given you good advice, you will get a happier engine and after the initial layout for the removal will not incur any more bills in regards to the hated euro crap the DPF actually is.

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

yep also mentioned in last weeks auto express.

iirc they approached 10 such garages who offer this service and only 1 told them that there would be issues with the insurance.

if you get a snooty insurance company and your invovled in an accident,kiss goodbye to your claim.(potentially)

might be worth investigating it fully.

I disagree to that article. The dpf won't be "missing" it will still be there and there is no emission test carried out on diesel cars at anytime therefore no one actually know what the real emissions will be because over time the emissions increase above

What the manufacture specify on the date of manufacture. Plus the so called power increased also cannot be verified its all he said she said. A turbo diesel in winter will have higher performance due to the dense air compared to summer its impossible to tell these difference between summer conditions winter condition and a dpf removal.

I would not let that put anyone off.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Better read the new rules on dpf's for mot's from feb 2014.

Any car that had them at manufacture but have since been removed is an automatic fail.

proceed with caution

Mr Rugby