Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk4 Suspension Problems

JohnP

the suspension on my mk4 fiesta knocks really badly going round sweeping left handers when i've got a car full. i've had a quick look at the shocks (i'm in no way a mechanic) and they look ok, as in nothings falling off or whatnot. the problems only when i have a few mates in the back. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be? the only thing i can think off is that all weigh over 11stone so maybe the suspensions reaching the end of its travel? any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

cheers

john

the suspension on my mk4 fiesta knocks really badly going round sweeping left handers when i've got a car full. i've had a quick look at the shocks (i'm in no way a mechanic) and they look ok, as in nothings falling off or whatnot. the problems only when i have a few mates in the back. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be? the only thing i can think off is that all weigh over 11stone so maybe the suspensions reaching the end of its travel? any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

cheers

john

Could be anything really. All depends what sort of noise it is. If it's only when your car is full with 4 passengers, the chances are that "maybe" the shocks are becoming 'soft' and bottoming out , hitting on the rubber 'stops'. When you push down sharply on each corner, does the car bounce once or twice or does it keep bouncing a few times before coming to rest? ( also check the shock absorber body for signs of 'wetness' which would suggest they're leaking oil and basically...knackered!

after reading your post i'm thinking its probably the that the shocks are becoming soft because the cars got 90,000 miles on the clock and to my knowledge the shocks are original. i did the bounce test thing and it still seemed quite firm and settled back to position quickly. and they're not 'wet' so hopefully its not quite as bad as i thought. think i'll stop taking so many passengers from now on!

anyway thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers

john

id have a mechanic check over all your front wishbones, they genrally go after so many miles, thats exactly what happend on mine there about 40-50 pounds each to replace.

hope i helped.

If the lower arm balljoints were worn he'd get the knocking without his mates in the back! In fact the slightest pothole and he'd hear a healthy clunk from the front end. Easy to check, raise both front wheels, grip one at 3 and 9 o clock position and push side to side, get someone to look at the joint from under the car, if the lower arm ball joints gone you'll spot it a mile away!

cheers for the advice guys. i've had a word with a mechanic and he thinks it might be the suspension hreaching the limit of its travel or maybe the exhaust scraping. it only happens when i've got a car full so until i can afford to get it sorted properly i'm not taking 4 passengers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club