Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Ignition Noise

chaz t

My Mondeo TDCi Mk3 has developed a new worrying noise this week.

A few times I have heard a high pitched noise as I turn the key, sounds a bit like a power drill.

Twice the ignition failed and the noise continued til I released the key.

Anybody got any idea what it may be? I also got the clutch and fly wheel changed at the start of the week, could there be a connection?

Chaz T

Sounds like the starter solenoid is grinding on starting.

When the flywheel was changed was the cog on the solenoid checked for alignment?

I have the same issue. I think that it is a sticky pinion on the starter motor, I am soon going to be taking mine outto clean it, but I'll need some help from this forum as Haynes' method seems to be complex and it's got to be easier than that.

However back to your problem. When this happens on mine as soon as I hear the noise let the key go. Put the car in gear 1st or reverse, handbrake off and if on a hill let it roll a little, foot OFF the clutch and not a bump start. If on the flat, just get out and rock it a couple of times back and forth. that generally will release it and you can start it normally.

As i said I think it is just a build up of dust on the pinion.

Hope this helps.