Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pad Change And Abs Problem Advise Appreciated

riverside red

Hi, on a cost cutting excersize I youtubed pad change for a 2010 focus, followed all instructions, really worked well. but !! at low speed cornering the ABS seems to kick in. it appears that when I C clamped the piston back I should have opened the bleed valve, instead I forced it back up. Is this the cause of the problem. Would bleeding the system remedy the problem. Any advice appreciated. Mike. I need hope.

check to make sure that all calipers are working correctly and not sticking..if all ok then worth bleeding the whole system making sure you do it in the recommended sequence..may pay to get yourself a pressure bleeder to thoroughly flush the system out.

stable door and horse bolted etc, i know, but always recommend opening the bleed nipple when retracting pistons, if that isnt possible then retract the pistons very slowly to avoid problems

Did u have the cap off when u replaced pads I fitted a lot of sets of pads and just one cap off to realise pressure it's grand I never had a problem like u describing

with ABS kicking in, im more inclined to think there is a pad/caliper problem

but have dealt with a number of problems caused by other people retracting pistons without opening the bleed screw, most notably it reverses the seals in the master cylinders..

99 times out of 100 its fine, but it happened to me once on this forums favourite make, a vauxhall, causes a spongy pedal it can be cured with bleeding but can take a number of bleeds to get the pedal back...have never risked doing it without opening the nipple since..

another way of looking at it is your pushing old brake fluid back through the system.

• Like 1

Thanks for both replies, I did have the cap off for both sides, the reserviour was overflowing so I just put the cap back on.

heavy braking is fine, and in line, ( not veering of to either side.) I have been quoted £35.00 for brake flush. this would be still less than the dealer changing pads in correct fashion £90.00 so if it works I am still in pocket. however pressure flushing sounds may be an option.. I would say that 85% of my diy goes right (youtube ) mending tellies, wallpapering and computer problems, but my wife has a keen eye on this one, as its her car. MMMMMM

not knocking your work mate, i see a number of garages/mechanics/dealers do exactly what you have done...i used to do it myself till it went pear shaped, for the sake of an extra 5 mins not worth the risk for me anymore.

but, not sure bleeding will make a difference in this instance, but if your confident that brakes are working as they should, then bleeding is the next obvious step

No way Wase I actually heard loads story's bout seals flipping on old vauxhalls but never seen it how did u sort that overhaul master cylinder that be my worst nightmare ha I do beleive that's no longer a problem on the more up to date ones but I could be wrong note to self avoid opels haha

had it on a number of makes, only ford i can remember it happening to was a mid 90's fiesta.

couple of times customer has had to bite the bullet and replace the master but normally can reverse the damage with a pressure bleeder.

to be honest, it doesnt appear to be so much of a problem on more modern cars, but still wont risk it myself...once bitten twice shy and all that :)

changing pads is one of those jobs most DIYers will have a go at, which is where i get most of the calls about spongy pedal since fitting pads... i just have a theory that retracting the pistons too quickly increases the chance of a problem, but cant really prove it

Not opening the bleed nipple will trouble the seal. It is a one way device. You should check the sensors are clean and in good condition. Bleeding of the brake system is a good idea as well. Although if the seal is damaged you will need to get a new master cylinder or rebuild your current. Other option is replacing the abs sensors. Did you refit the metal clips and seated the pads correctly?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Thanks chaps, all seems to have settled down now, but I will bleed the brakes as I have obviously pushed contaminated fluid backover riverside red Middlesbrough .