Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Different Petrols

sussex

After filling up my tank the miles to empty normally says about 280-300 miles to empty and this changes slightly thereafter depending how I drive. Used Texaco for the first time in my MK7 recently and it said 360 miles to empty after fill up! Thought it may just be a blip but driving same route to work as always and driving the same as I always do I got an extra 45 (+/-) miles out of the tank to all other petrols I have used so far with better MPG, compared with other brands.

I filled up again with Texaco and got the same thing, how can one petrol brand be better for the car? I know there are always variances in driving but having done hundreds of miles it evens its self out and it still gives me much better average MPG.

Anyone else use Texaco?!

Interesting, i think texaco actually advertise (at least on their forecourts) that their petrol goes further. I though it was a load of crap! There must be somethink online explaining how, I dont suppose that its really in the oil companies interests for people to have longer lasting petrol... TBH I dont have a bad word to say about Texaco, always good service and price from my experience, along with esso. I try to steer clear of BP and Shell.

Around my way there is a road with an esso on one side and a BP on the other, BP always at least 1p more! and the esso is 24 hour!

All fuels are made to a standard so all fuels have to reach that standard. The only difference is that some manufacturers add 'other addatives' into their fuels

Are these other additives bad for your car?

I always fill up at Tesco or BP and have never had any problems. For a while I stopped filling up at Tesco as they got some dodgy petrol a couple of years ago, but apart from that, no problems.

We don't have a texaco round here so it's not like I could go and fill up there I'm just interested :)

Are these other additives bad for your car?

I always fill up at Tesco or BP and have never had any problems. For a while I stopped filling up at Tesco as they got some dodgy petrol a couple of years ago, but apart from that, no problems.

We don't have a texaco round here so it's not like I could go and fill up there I'm just interested :)

The additives are good for the car, for instance some help to stop build up of deposits in the engine.

In my BMW, I only put in Shell V Power due to it being a higher octane rating which the car's ECU is programmed for. If I stick normal supermarket unleaded the car knows it's a lower rated petrol and alters parameters and performance suffers and it's proven to lose upto 40bhp in my car.

To be honest, in the Fiesta you will probably not notice any performance difference because it's not a performance car and therefore won't be set up to take advantage of extra RON rating, although it may run smoother and more economical on the better fuel, but obviously you have to offset this against the extra cost. Saying that, if it's 5p a litre dearer, then if you fill the tank (45 litres I think) on the Fiesta, using the top rated stuff it will only cost you £2.25 more, so it's hardly a bank breaker.

The only petrol I would put in my car is Shell V Power or Tesco 99.

Tesco 99 is not regarded as "Supermarket Fuel", that nomenclature is meant for the standard unleaded found at supermarkets.

So would it be better to put 99 octane in?

I occasionally put the BP 99 octane in (cant remember the name) I suppose in the long run if its better for the car I will start doing that.

Thanks Keith.

So would it be better to put 99 octane in?

I occasionally put the BP 99 octane in (cant remember the name) I suppose in the long run if its better for the car I will start doing that.

Thanks Keith.

It's hard to say it would be better as you may not notice a difference and if you can't see a difference then it's hard to justify or say it's better. But, the extra additives can only do more good than harm it's just you probably won't notice in the lifespan of the car whilst you have it.

It's like changing your oil. The car would run on one fill of oil (unless it leaks out or burns away) for years and it's highly unlikely you would notice a difference. But, as we all know, regular oil changes are good for the engine and using quality oil of the correct grade is the best option.

What I would do, is try it for a 3 or 4 tankfuls and reset your computer when you first put it in. Then you can check your MPG against what you are getting currently to see if there is a difference and to see if the extra cost is worth it on that front. If your MPG is slightly better then it might pay for itself plus you have the added peace of mind that you are putting decent petrol in.

I like the idea of putting good stuff in my car rather than cheap. Its a big investment for me, I want it to last as long as possible and to run well.

I like the idea of putting good stuff in my car rather than cheap. Its a big investment for me, I want it to last as long as possible and to run well.

I agree entirely.

I always use Texaco,and have done since I got the car,it averages out at around 46 MPG and the tank computor pretty much says 440 miles till empty every time I fill up (give or take a couple of miles) not bad for a 1.4i petrol,only gripe is the tank is a little on the small side I think around 9.75 gal,

My neighbour has the same model as me,and she uses Asda,she seems to get around 38 mpg, yeah I know it all should be the same and it seems to come from the same place.........but there's something going on here,apart from the difference in pump price,at the moment where i live Texaco is (with Mr Darlings new price hike in duty,someones got to pay for HIS bath plugs as well) 95.9 pence per ltr

so I will stick with what I know to be good.

Kristal

I always use Texaco,and have done since I got the car,it averages out at around 46 MPG and the tank computor pretty much says 440 miles till empty every time I fill up (give or take a couple of miles) not bad for a 1.4i petrol,only gripe is the tank is a little on the small side I think around 9.75 gal,

My neighbour has the same model as me,and she uses Asda,she seems to get around 38 mpg, yeah I know it all should be the same and it seems to come from the same place.........but there's something going on here,apart from the difference in pump price,at the moment where i live Texaco is (with Mr Darlings new price hike in duty,someones got to pay for HIS bath plugs as well) 95.9 pence per ltr

so I will stick with what I know to be good.

Kristal

I filled my car up this morning 99.9p for V Power. I see the prices are increasing again. Oh, and there's another pet hate, off to the other thread.

I found the same with Tesco and Shell fuels, Tesco 450 miles to empty, Shell 495 miles to empty and the car runs better.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club