Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Fault - Turns Off On Its Own

Sox500c

Good morning,

Having successfully fixed an air bag warning light problem and a faulty starter motor solenoid problem with the help of this forum, I have one more issue that I could use some help with.

The standard radio/cd player in my '02 Focus 1.8 TDCI turns off on its own, after a short period it I can usually turn it back on again. This can happen several times on each journey. It never asks for the radio code so I guess the backup supply is ok.

I'm assuming the radio is losing power intermittently but I'm not sure where to look first. Should I pull out the radio and check the connections at the back? If so, can anyone advise me which wire is power and which is the earth?

Apologies if this has been answered before, I have searched the forum but can't find a similar thread.

Thanks.

This sounds like the normal time-out that occurs when using the radio with the ignition off. Is it possible it is missing the ignition feed?

It seems more random than that. Just checked with my wife and she says if it goes off and you leave it alone it will come back on on its own. She generally leaves it switched on so it comes on when she starts the car. There is no set time period for when it turns itself off, it can go for 5 minutes or 50 minutes before it happens.

Certainly check the wiring, could be a loose wire in the block connector.

Certainly sounds like an intermittent ignition live feed to me.

The radio seems to keep thinking that the car is being turned off and powering down as is standard.

OK, I'll take the take the radio out and check the connectors.

Thanks everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to checking the radio connectors, I was able to push one of them further in so that may have been the problem. It hasn't turned itself off since so fingers crossed.

Nowhere near me had the tools to remove the radio but I managed to get some off eBay for next to nothing. All the problems with the car seem to be sorted now so I'm hoping for some trouble-free motoring for a while at least.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

• 6 years later...

My mondeo radio will not stay on when the engine is off . Press the button to switch for 1 hr goes off after 5 mins new battery fitted any answers

I assume the 'switch off one hour' is some kind of sleep type function? Did it work OK prior to the fitment of your new battery?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club