Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta St Camshaft Position Sensor Fault

AgentC

Re-post as my previous thread was lost with the recent technical issues.

I took my ST to the dealer last Wednesday and they told me it had a CPS fault code and they'd cleared it and all was fine now. Two days later the engine light comes back on again. Took it back Saturday and the service reception guy (without looking at car) says the sensor is faulty and it will need replacing (the electrician tech wasn't there Saturday). Now booked in for the end of next week.

Is this SOP in these cases? Just wondering why the sensor wasn't checked and/or replaced for the fault on the Wednesday if they had the part of course. Having worked in a dealer I always try to avoid having a loan car as its so much hassle for all involved.

Has anyone else had this sensor failure on such a new Ford? Looking around the forum, it seems to be most common on older diesel cars.

Thats strange! Let us know how it goes, i havent had the light come on - is there an error code to look out for by any chance?

Thats strange! Let us know how it goes, i havent had the light come on - is there an error code to look out for by any chance?

They didn't tell me the code number but looking at the DTC lists posted here only 5 codes relate: P0340-P0344?

I'll update when its done and try and find out exactly what the problem was.

Just as an update on this issue before it goes to the dealer on Thursday, the car intermittently has various symptoms.

1, The EML has been on for 4 straight days.

2, On Monday morning the car was proper kangarooing until it warmed up. Just like my dad's old cars would if the choke was put in too soon!

3, Today when leaving a petrol station the car sounded like it had pebbles or gravel swirling round with the coolant every time I lifted off the throttle.

I don't get starting problems and there is no lack of power.

I just hope it isn't anything more serious.

What sort of mileage have you done and how long owned?

Only ask as mine is coming soon, don't like reading bad things.

2100 on the clock and just over 4 months old.

I'm not too worried just yet and the car is still great. Reading up on the problem has highlighted just how many problems come down to the various sensors failing rather than something wrong with the engine itself.

• Like 1

That sounds like good news then, and warranty will cover it anyway. Let us know how you get on at the dealers and if they fix it in one go.

Well, I'm bitterly disappointed and have been left completely in the dark as to the situation with my car.

Dropped the car off at the dealer at 9am sharp as requested and yesterday I even had the courtesy to let them know I didn't require the loan car.

Was told I'd be kept up to date on any developments. I waited until 4pm and finally gave them a ring to be informed the car was in the garage with all the diagnostic gear attached

and I should expect a call shortly.

It is now well past closing time and I've not even had a courtesy call.....and don't have a car to get to work tomorrow.

As someone that as worked for franchised dealers in the past, I know how these places work and understand some of their frustrations.. But am at a loss at how to deal with this come tomorrow.

If anyone here works for a Ford dealer you're advice would be appreciated.

Don't work for Ford but I suspect an early call is in order with demands for update and why no call today. You can then lay it on about not being able to get to work and that you must have a courtesy car ASAP until they sort it out.

Very disappointing but not totally unexpected behaviour, they seem to forget you are paying their wages.

Now I'm really worried.

I have been informed that (presumably) unrelated to the cam position sensor fault, now fixed (crosses fingers) that during the routine health check they found the engine had used 2 litres of oil!

I have always checked the oil level every 2 weeks and the dipstick has always shown plenty of oil. No oil light has been on but don't know how low it needs to be and neither does the dealer.

The dealer has said there are no leaks and they can't explain why it has used so much in 2000 miles. Told me to take it back after 200 miles. Yes, I have to road test it....

Should I ring Ford or go to another dealer? Really worried about a serious engine problem now.

And on the subject of being left in the lurch without a car to go work, I spoke to the service guy this morning after giving him 2 extra hours to call me and failing again. Told me someone (you!) should have called me last night. Explained I had to have an extra day off work because of this. He eventually apoligised but I didn't feel he meant it. He was also absent when I collected the car.......

If I was in your situation, with a ST2 with around 2000k on it and 4 months old, I would take it back to the dealer you brought it from, demand a courtesy car while they look at it. How can they not fix it? lol They work for Ford, they should know or least make some calls to find out. Sounds like they are really fobbing you off . I would also start mentioning things like rejecting the car and your rights. From the sounds of it, that dealer is being difficult and not giving you the service you would expect. Failing that take it to another dealer and call up Ford , take it to HQ. Your well within your rights to demand at this stage!

The best thing to do is call ford customer relations department 0203 564 4444. Explain the issue and your concerns and they will be able to help. They keep chasing the dealer through out the day to get updates and keep in contact until the issue is fixed to your standard. They work directly for Ford Motor Company as opposed to franchised dealers.

I don't believe it. Done 6 miles since I picked it up and the EML is back on again. Thanks for that phone number Ross, I think I'll need it.

Is ur car smokey or running rough don't be worrying to much if ur car does need a new engine there will be no problem it's all under warranty that dealer should be delighted keep them busy an it be ford paying not dealer give them benefit when u go back after drive they will investigate further they just wanna know how much oil burns first

Is ur car smokey or running rough don't be worrying to much if ur car does need a new engine there will be no problem it's all under warranty that dealer should be delighted keep them busy an it be ford paying not dealer give them benefit when u go back after drive they will investigate further they just wanna know how much oil burns first

No smoke or rough running. The engine I guess is a bit tapperty, but that is I believe down to the direct injection? As far as how much oil is burning, we already know it is burning/otherwise using 1 litre/1000 mile.

I personally don't think it wise to keep driving it without knowing why. If it were to breakdown in a few days because it dumps a ton of oil, I'm not confident Ford would cover it at this point.

If they actually did put a new cam position sensor in I have to wonder why the engine light has come back on after just 6 miles. Oh and the car wasn't road tested either. Had the same miles on it when I picked it up.

They will cover it that's a manufactures defect in no way could u be responsible if ur engine goes just go for good lash weekend and bring back Monday like thing is ur car might be brand new model engine so mechanics ain't that familiar and if car not that smokey an running ok but it's usin loads oil like we're it goin if it not burning it and as for cam sensor fault some these new cars have more then then 10 different modules so much wiring behind dash it could be issue with loom an believe me some electrical problems can be so tricky to pin point don't loose faith if u not happy. Take car to another deal wit a better possibly better mechanics lol

Car back at dealer and now have a loan car. They have now said it is a wiring fault (without looking at it again!)............am confused, full of some sort of flu virus and am going to forget about the car for the next few days and hope they sort it.

*crawls into bed*

Just read the whole story thus far and I think you need a new motor. In our company we had -08 transit and it had done couple hundred miles with not enough oil and it seriously left some marks. The turbo was changed oils/filters. But the car was never the same it acted like it had done 300 000 miles instead of the 25 000 it had really done. Also nowadays its hard to find a place where they actually know how to fix a car! Nowadays they just guess which part is faulty and change it the "faulty" part gets sent to the factory where it was made and not you nor the dealer is told what causes these faults. Thats how it is atleast with ford and vw nowadays.

Update:

Car will be at the dealers at least until tomorrow evening. Everything is still pretty vague, but sounds serious.

Apparently, the crankshaft and camshaft are misaligned? Not sure what they have tried to fix it, but they have given it an extended test drive and the engine symbol light is still coming on. Yesterday they said they were waiting on downloads from Ford (I assume ECU updates)

I get the impression they don't know whats wrong with it, or how to fix it. I feel at this point I should get another car.

I'm also wondering if the above problems could explain the high oil consumption?

That's mad if car using that much oil needs new engine there internal issues that they can't repair as soon as they ring ford prior approval I sure they tell them to replace engine

So I have the car back. Between yesterday and today, the service receptionist went from "we don't know what's wrong with it" to "all fixed, guaranteed not to happen again". Asked whether the oil consumption issue (turns out it used 2.5 litres reading the paperwork) was related and told no. The master tech that worked on it doesn't think its a problem and I should just monitor it.

The car does feel and sound much better now though. Notably more powerful <3000 rpm...almost like I've had a remap. I'll be going away at the weekend so we will see if the engine light comes back on and how much, if any, oil it uses.

So did the master tech explain to u how the cam an crank became misaligned and how can they be sure it won't do it again that's really weird I be really interested hear wat they actually done

So did the master tech explain to u how the cam an crank became misaligned and how can they be sure it won't do it again that's really weird I be really interested hear wat they actually done

No, never even seen him. And I think they were deliberately vague about everything is the impression I got. Listening to conversations of other customers at the service department, it just seems how they operate.

*Crosses fingers* The car seems fine now and is certainly running better and no EML so far. I just worry what damage, if any, could have been done. And I have to keep an eye on the oil consumption....

if it continues to use that much oil i hope Ford are going to be paying for it!!! hope this is the end of your troubles though and you can get bak to enjoying your car rather than worrying whats going to go wrong next

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club