72 replies to this topic

#16 mick85

mick85

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:49 AM

They will cover it that's a manufactures defect in no way could u be responsible if ur engine goes just go for good lash weekend and bring back Monday like thing is ur car might be brand new model engine so mechanics ain't that familiar and if car not that smokey an running ok but it's usin loads oil like we're it goin if it not burning it and as for cam sensor fault some these new cars have more then then 10 different modules so much wiring behind dash it could be issue with loom an believe me some electrical problems can be so tricky to pin point don't loose faith if u not happy. Take car to another deal wit a better possibly better mechanics lol

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Fiesta ST2
  • Year: 2013

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Car back at dealer and now have a loan car. They have now said it is a wiring fault (without looking at it again!)............am confused, full of some sort of flu virus and am going to forget about the car for the next few days and hope they sort it. 

*crawls into bed*

#18 Epu

Epu

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Name: Eero-Pekka
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Sportvan 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2011

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just read the whole story thus far and I think you need a new motor. In our company we had -08 transit and it had done couple hundred miles with not enough oil and it seriously left some marks. The turbo was changed oils/filters. But the car was never the same it acted like it had done 300 000 miles instead of the 25 000 it had really done. Also nowadays its hard to find a place where they actually know how to fix a car!  Nowadays they just guess which part is faulty and change it the "faulty" part gets sent to the factory where it was made and not you nor the dealer is told what causes these faults. Thats how it is atleast with ford and vw nowadays.

#19 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

Update:

Car will be at the dealers at least until tomorrow evening. Everything is still pretty vague, but sounds serious.

Apparently, the crankshaft and camshaft are misaligned? Not sure what they have tried to fix it, but they have given it an extended test drive and the engine symbol light is still coming on. Yesterday they said they were waiting on downloads from Ford (I assume ECU updates)

I get the impression they don't know whats wrong with it, or how to fix it. I feel at this point I should get another car.

I'm also wondering if the above problems could explain the high oil consumption? 

#20 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

That's mad if car using that much oil needs new engine there internal issues that they can't repair as soon as they ring ford prior approval I sure they tell them to replace engine

#21 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

So I have the car back. Between yesterday and today, the service receptionist went from "we don't know what's wrong with it" to "all fixed, guaranteed not to happen again". Asked whether the oil consumption issue (turns out it used 2.5 litres reading the paperwork) was related and told no. The master tech that worked on it doesn't think its a problem and I should just monitor it.

The car does feel and sound much better now though. Notably more powerful <3000 rpm...almost like I've had a remap. I'll be going away at the weekend so we will see if the engine light comes back on and how much, if any, oil it uses.

#22 Rossbclarke123

Rossbclarke123

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Name: Ross
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.0 Ecoboost

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Fingers crossed, please keep us updated!!

#23 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

So did the master tech explain to u how the cam an crank became misaligned and how can they be sure it won't do it again that's really weird I be really interested hear wat they actually done

#24 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

So did the master tech explain to u how the cam an crank became misaligned and how can they be sure it won't do it again that's really weird I be really interested hear wat they actually done

No, never even seen him. And I think they were deliberately vague about everything is the impression I got. Listening to conversations of other customers at the service department, it just seems how they operate.

*Crosses fingers* The car seems fine now and is certainly running better and no EML so far. I just worry what damage, if any, could have been done. And I have to keep an eye on the oil consumption....

#25 Ru4hie

Ru4hie

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Name: daniel
  • Ford Model: Fiesta St2

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

if it continues to use that much oil i hope Ford are going to be paying for it!!! hope this is the end of your troubles though and you can get bak to enjoying your car rather than worrying whats going to go wrong next

#26 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

if it continues to use that much oil i hope Ford are going to be paying for it!!! hope this is the end of your troubles though and you can get bak to enjoying your car rather than worrying whats going to go wrong next

Well even the dealer filled it up this time for free. Interestingly, having looked in my handbook for acceptable oil usage to no avail, I checked other Ford model handbooks online and the new EcoSport handbook states the following for oil consumption:

Oil Consumption

In the first 5,000 km (run-in period) the oil
consumption is higher, and therefore the
oil level should be checked more
frequently. O maximum acceptable
consumption in this period is one liter. After
the break-in period the engine can
consume up to one liter every 10,000 km.
If the consumption is higher, go to your
Ford Dealer.
Oil consumption also depends on driving
style and vehicle use. Special operating
conditions such as, operating your vehicle
frequently at high speeds, could increase
oil consumption.

So 1 litre max usage for the first 3100 miles. Unfortunately, the 1.6 EcoBoost engine isn't available in the EcoSport..... 

#27 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

So I have done the 200 mile oil test and the level seems to have gone down. I dipped the oil 5 times on a level surface letting the engine cool down for 15 minutes after a mixed 60 mile run and 3 of the 5 checks had the oil 2 marks down with the other 2 showing a bit more so maybe 1 mark down. I don't know how much the marks represent but I did a video that I think proves its burning oil.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=803dihUEv9I

#28 mick85

mick85

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

I do compression test yourself first and bring to different dealer they don't seem car bout customers an him saying they not related if ur car need a engine they should be happy change it it's ford who foot the bill not dealer don't make any sense way this place giving u the brush off

#29 AgentC

AgentC

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Latest update.

I tried contacting the dealer by phone on Monday and couldn't get through so phoned Ford customer services who said they would get in touch with them on my behalf.

They tried every department and also couldn't get through.....

Cutting a long story short, I met with the service manager today and he has no record of the car being there 5 days for the "camshaft and crankshaft misalignment"!?

Anyway I took the car into the garage and the chief tech checked and topped up the oil again after also finding the dipstick very inconsistent. After <400 miles another half litre added.

I now have to leave it and go back again in 500 miles. Very tedious....

#30 Philf1

Philf1

Ford until I die!

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,554 posts
  • Name: Phil
  • Year: 2014
Contributor

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sounds likes Friday afternoon car. You need to start making a fuss in the dealers don't let them fob you off this is not normal or acceptable

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users