Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise When Pulling Away

rrm

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help.

Ford Focus 1.0 Ecotech 2012.

Once warm, pulling away on a hill from standstill (little more gas than normal) the car make a loud noise, the noise disappears as soon as normal driving resumes, however returns only when trying to pull away a bit faster than normal or on a hill start.

Someone has told me it might be Clutch Whoop.... anyone know anything or can help resolve the issue please.

Thanks in advance

RRM

• Like 1

It could simply be turbo noise from your 1.0 Ecoboost engine. This engine might have an over boost function where the engine management kicks up the turbo psi and torque for 30 secs to help with overtaking, this would happen when the engine management detects load on the engine.

interesting, is there anyway of telling?

The noise almost sounds like the brakes are just slightly applied and then released. There's almost a hesitancy to move whilst the noise occurs and as you release more of the clutch and give more there's a little vibration, then you pull away. The noise disappears once clutch completely lifted. Only occurs in first gear, never heard it when asking for more power during overtaking etc.

RRM

If you have hillstart assist control, it could be this. The way to tell is point your car up a hill, press firmly on the break pedal, and when no cars are behind you, let go of the brakes and gently apply gas. You should feel the car hold onto the brakes for a few seconds longer.

I have this on my 1.6 tdci. Has done it now for approx. 6months. Dealer reckoned it was hill hold and fobbed me off saying that they did a 'software update'.

Funny thing is, it happens whether you are uphill, downhill or on the flat !

I'm certain it is the clutch and it seems to occur more when the car is nicely warmed up after a run for eg. It sounds like clutch squeal on mine but without the slipping, you still have good drive.

I got this on my 2.0 tdci now and again depends on the weather I think its cluch?

It's clutch whoop. I just spent month trying to work it out n a new clutch is the only solution. £1200 from ford. You can test if its truly clutch whoop. Put on the hand brake firmly and in a safe location. Give it enough rev n gently lift the clutch to bite point. Play with the bite point if you can hear it. 100% clutch whoop. I am certain this is a ford clutch issue

Expeeienced this on a temp ford fiesta I had while mine was being fixed for the exact same prob. Its considered wear and tear/ abuse from ford and warranty companies hence its not covered.

It's caused by hot spots on the clutch causing an uneven wear pattern on the flywheel. Ford should be sued its a damn design fault.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 2

it dosent affect my clutch whatsoever drives perfect no noisy dmf,no slip just a noise now and again.

• Confused 1

Cheers guys, I understand there's a TSB about this, anyone able to help get a copy?

• Like 1

TSB would be good as I have next service in 1,000 miles so could support my complaint with the appropriate documentation. Mine has done it for the last 10k miles.

• Like 1

to be absolutely sure its the clutch, are you sure its not the ABS self test?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey

I got a 2013 focus 1.0l Titanium back in August, after a week the clutch was slipping and whooping. Spoke with the dealership and they took it in, after persuasion they dropped out the gearbox and found the clutch, flywheel, clutch release bearing and slave cylinder all needed replaced.

They did this under warranty but the clutch still whoops intermittently, especially on hill starts. There is a loud screech with vibration and a loss in power in 1st, sometimes i cant even get first at all.

I take it clutch number 2 has died in the space of 3 months?

Quite possibly yes, that could be due to contamination though, transmission juice on the plates can have this affect. Definitely take it back as the work will be warranted

thanks for the reply...i've already made a complaint to the dealership so they are pondering what to do. Had other issues like noisy front suspension, brakes squealing after being cleaned 3 times, heater decided to pack in on the coldest day of the year so far and hands free central locking works occasionally.

Think i got a Friday afternoon car.... The dealership have said they are considering replacing the car...

Comes to something when they're going to give up and swap it for you lol

• 10 months later...

i have 2014 zetec s 1.6 tdci and it does exactly the same on hill start, took it to ford, no fault found surprise surprise, only seems to do it when warm tho and ive noticed i can then recreate the fault by pulling away in second gear, car only has 8000 miles and the dealership were making out that if it is the clutch then it is a wear&tear problem, it should last longer than that even if colin mcrae has been driving it from new.

• Thanks 1

• 5 years later...

My 2018 focus 1.0 ltr has this same annoying problem, every few days I get this strange whine as I let off the clutch to pull away then it’s fine , sometimes for a couple of weeks before reappearing without warning. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2013 at 10:44 AM, rrm said:

Hi,

Once warm, pulling away on a hill from standstill (little more gas than normal) the car make a loud noise, the noise disappears as soon as normal driving resumes, however returns only when trying to pull away a bit faster than normal or on a hill start.

Someone has told me it might be Clutch Whoop.... anyone know anything or can help resolve the issue please.

Thanks in advance

RRM

I have the very same problem on mine.... thought it was the clutch, had it checked but clutch is apparently fine. I have been told to turn hillstart off for a few days and see if it still does it... apparently its a common fault on the newer cars with hillstart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bought a Ford Focus eco boost from ford Castleford, 6 months ago, been off road for 8 weeks due to numerous mechanical issues, every time I ring to get problems resolved I’m having to wait at least 6 weeks for an appointment, I have a disability and rely on my vehicle, they will not give me a courtesy car whilst mine is in their garage for the day, they pass me from pillar to post, absolutely disgusting, I’ve asked to speak to the manager who is always on holiday. So, I have raised a complaint with my finance company, has anyone got any ideas on how I can get them to resolve this any sooner. 

• Sad 1

Contact Ford Customer Care direct and give them the details of what problems your having.

Ford Customer Relationship Centre Royal Oak Way South Daventry Northamptonshire NN11 8NT. call 020 3564 4444

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I have recently picked up a 2017 1.5t st line and I occasionally get a loud metallic moan when I pull away when there is more load on the engine than normal e.g. a hill start.

I have taken it in to Halfords auto center to get them to take a look and i showed them a video of the car making the noise. They said they couldn't reproduce it and checked everything underneath the car and couldn't find any issue. Has anyone else had this? 

(The car has done 52k miles) 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue with my 2015 1.5 tdci.

Had a brand new clutch kith fly wheel and master slave cylinder. £1000 later and the noise is still there. Anyone resolved the issue???

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/2/2013 at 10:44 AM, rrm said:

Hi,

Thanks in advance

RRM

Hello, thanks for this post, I’m having the exact same issue, does anyone know how to fix it please?

Many thanks 

7 minutes ago, Tommi97 said:

does anyone know how to fix it please?

Yes

On 12/9/2013 at 6:25 PM, mixmasterlooney said:

It's clutch whoop. I just spent month trying to work it out n a new clutch is the only solution. £1200 from ford. You can test if its truly clutch whoop. Put on the hand brake firmly and in a safe location. Give it enough rev n gently lift the clutch to bite point. Play with the bite point if you can hear it. 100% clutch whoop. I am certain this is a ford clutch issue

Expeeienced this on a temp ford fiesta I had while mine was being fixed for the exact same prob. Its considered wear and tear/ abuse from ford and warranty companies hence its not covered.

It's caused by hot spots on the clutch causing an uneven wear pattern on the flywheel. Ford should be sued its a damn design fault.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

After spending a grand on a new clutch, slave cylinder and fly wheel the noise is still there with mine. Been advised not to spend anymore money on it and wait for it to worsen

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club