Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Returned The Xbox One, What Now.

Nathan_M

I have just launched my xbox one back to amazon because of a fault and have opted for a refund, I think I'm changing direction here, my 360 is fine enough for me, I'm torn between a mac mini i5, vaio l series all in one or an alienware x51 to do a combination of the 2. I'm the most indecisive person in the world.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

Mac eurgh....!

Now on to the other two. I assume you want to do some gaming, in which case PC is the only serious way forward.

Have you ever considered building your own PC?

Yeh I have but I am really interested in the all in one just because it can do some of everything, and most of the rest, the alienware just has lights, haha, I have planned a few possible builds, although for some reason I don't trust hard drives and things in a self build even though I know they are the same parts anyway, perhaps you could suggest a build that costs around £600 my preferred retailers are amazon and scan uk.

What do you need for your £600, everything, just a tower, somewhere in between?

For starters I could get away with just the tower to be honest, because it will be plugged into the tv via hdmi or via anyway. I also would like to use quality parts if I do go self build, corsair etc.

I'd only spec quality parts anyway, El cheapo parts are cheap for a reason. :)

Do you want/need OS within that budget too?

Yes I would like windows 8

Give these guys a look, they are brilliant and I cant recommend them enough! bought many a PC and part from them, and directed many to them as well:

Gaming machines specifically: http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming+Range/

Even some of their home PC's are excellent spec for gaming.

I have come up with this as an idea for now:

Intel I5 4570

Asus H87m-e

8GB corsair vengeance LP

XFX R9 270Boost

Corsair Carbide 300r (might change this to save £30)

500gb seagate 7200rpm drive

550w XFX PSU

it would run anything i could trow at it.

otherwise it will probably be one of the following.

Mac Mini i5 + accesories (£556)

Sony Vaio L Series i7 gt640m 3d (£1399)

Alienware x51 i5 model (£649)

Vaio L series i5 (£999)

i cant really put my finger on what i need from it at the moment, the Vaio's can be used as a TV or monitor as well as having a 3d touch screen and having a large 2TB hdd, the mac mini comes with the best out of box software and its something different to me, other then the all in one i would be using my tv as a monitor, i shall have to make a decision soon otherwise i would never make my mind up.

I would say if you want the best - go for windows (yes, I never thought I would say those words!) but Windows will offer you more compatibility with more games, and more specifics, plus you can easily upgrade. Windows has a lot more users and a lot more support, and most game companies offering support, know less about mac's than they do about what the chief exec ate for breakfast

I really can't decide now whether or not to send the Xbox one in for repair or just refund and maybe get one later on when a slim model comes out.

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

Buying a console during the launch period is fraught with the possibility that you will get a dud one unfortunately. If you do decide not to opt for a replacement then see below:

Avoid Vaio's tbh, overpriced for what they are and generally poor in comparison to other PC manufacturers.

Mac- just stop right there, dont be fooled by the shiny white plastic or aluminium lines.

Alienware used to be hit and miss back in the day and were extremely overpriced. They seem to have become more reasonable since Dell purchased them. Might be worth having a look down that route.

Building your own PC is the best option I think. You can search around in order to get the best bang for your buck and the component choices are entirely in your control. But always plan for future expansion.

For hard disk, essential you get an SSD for your OS and core programs. They have come down considerably in price nowadays. 256gb Samsung SSD for example is a must as your main drive. Then get a secondary Sata HD for additional storage, 1TB is not that expensive these days.

8gb ram is the bare minimum I'd recommend tbh for comfortable running of a 64bit Windows OS, so if your budget can stretch, push it higher 12gb+, especially if you will be gaming and for future expansion needs.

Don't skimp on your power supply either. The GPU, Hard drives etc all draw power and if you plan to expand your PC in the future, you don't want to have to replace your PSU, because you don't have enough power for all your devices.

650W minimum. 800W + be ideal.

Just had a geek gasm on steam I didn't realise the prices were so much lower these days last ti e I looked seriously at OC games the price was negligable.

Right im Going to reply to this again rather than make a new topic, I am currently choosing parts for a pc and I play quite a lot of flight simulator X now I know that even with the newer service packs it's quite old fashioned and prefers a higher clock speed and less cores anyway should I get the 3.6ghz i3 3440[think that's right] or the i5 4440 3.2ghz, and no I'm not I to over clocking, should I get the i5 for future or i3 and swap for gen5 i5 when it comes later next year?

Future proof it now, its cheaper in the long run! go i5 :D

I'm going to upset alot of you I'm for some reason drawn to either a mac mini or imac. Although knowing me this could change in the next few hours.

lol, its ultimately your choice mate, but I would look to get something either way that is going to last you for years!

lol, its ultimately your choice mate, but I would look to get something either way that is going to last you for years!

At this rate I won't go out of date because I won't buy anything. Haha

Looking into buying a new gaming PC in the new year.

Stuff xbox and playstayion, PC gaming is purer ;)

I like the joysticks you can buy for PC's best all rounder :D

• 4 weeks later...

Right im Going to reply to this again rather than make a new topic, I am currently choosing parts for a pc and I play quite a lot of flight simulator X now I know that even with the newer service packs it's quite old fashioned and prefers a higher clock speed and less cores anyway should I get the 3.6ghz i3 3440[think that's right] or the i5 4440 3.2ghz, and no I'm not I to over clocking, should I get the i5 for future or i3 and swap for gen5 i5 when it comes later next year?

need to make sure motherboards are compatible which i think they are,but youre better off buyign all parts from scan and building it yourself,dont buy a mac its the most overpriced thing going.Depends what youre playing or plan to play,if its on par with a console you'll want atleast a quad core.Im running a i5 650 with a 3gb 7950 and 8gb ram.CPU is bottlenecking my pc at the moment but i can play battlefield 4 at ultra at get 60fps .just make sure you get a futureproof motherboard and then you can upgrade as you want really.

As much as people put the downer on the apple product as far as all in ones go at the minute they are pretty competitive, I would be buying

It for the software to be honest and the fact that it's about the nicest computer I have seen design wise. I'm swaying toward an alienware x51 not because of the brand but because I haven't really got the space for a mid or even matx tower case and the x51 will fill the void where the xbox one once sat under the tv, I just can't decide whether the i5 model is worth 100 over the i3 model and by how much the i7 model is actually over priced, I think last time I weighed it up its something like 50 quid mark up for the i5 model over a self build with comparible parts.

Ha that is not a good start for the Xbox One stick to your Xbox 360 mate i have one and they are really good consoles the Xbox One is way over priced

I have just been going through the whole ps4 debate with myself, but I have realised nothing next gen can match the 360 for now with sky go and vevo etc, to me the xbox one should have stuck to the current software and just redesigned their hardware, everything is more than 10 button presses away on the one.