Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking Sound

Dazbo85

Hi guys I wonder if you can help! I started my car on this frosty morning, it started fine, put the blowers on then got my de-icer out of the boot and noticed a clicking sound from the engine bay. I thought it was just because it was warming up but it done a random grinding sound (like a starter motor sound ish). Any ideas? Help would be appreciated.

Focus C-Max 2004 1.6 TDCI Zetec

Still do it with the heater blower switched off? If not it could be a bit of leaf got into the fan. You have to do some investigating TBH. Eliminate things, I mean it could be a cambelt idler gear or the alternator pulley... Secure any dangly stuff and listen up close to different parts of the engine bay.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try and look on my lunch break

Focus C-Max 2004 1.6 TDCI Zetec

did you get anywhere with this daz?

There's still a click sound can't find the location but it then fades away, as for the other sound it's never done it again with or with out the blowers on

start by starting the engine, turn off all electrics, stereo, fan's, just have engine running nothing else. Does it click?

Then start by moving from the nearside of the car, round the bonnet and to the offside, are you able to trace where the volume is loudest? then, if you open the bonnet this may help to trap the noise.

If it doesnt make a noise, turn one thing on at a time in the cabin as you normally would and see if this helps.

What sort of speed is it clicking at? indicator speed? or like you have a stone stuck in the wheel at 90MPH speed? :p

The click sound is near the drivers side headlight and the sound is regular but intermittent.

I had a cam belt change not long ago do think it could be that? Cheers

OK, so it could be the cambelt, but the driver headlight has the power steering underneath it. Does the click worsen if you turn the wheel?

It's not just the A/C clicking in and out is it?

I know the Fiesta suffered from a noisy A/C electromagnetic clutch, not sure if the C-Max would have the same?

CMAX definately has a noisy aircon. I turn mine on and when it engages, it sounds like someone is vacuuming underneath my bonnet!

probably my AC on its way out then, along with the gearbox!

After trying a number of things it seems to be the air con. Thank for your help and sorry for wasting your time.

Never a waste of time, I came on the forum looking for explanation of a clicking sound when I first got my Fiesta.

Better to ask and it be nothing major than ignore it and it be something important :)

Mine was A/C too, thats why I suggested CMAX might be the same.

Everytime the A/C unit engaged there was a loud click as the electromagnet engaged the clutch for the compressor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all I'm still experiencing the clicking it don't seem to be the a/c after all. It seems to be towards the left of the engine somewhere but it seems to fade when getting warm

Glad its sorted, was it expensive?

After spending all day on it and replacing the tensioner and the pulley on the cam belt which obviously wasn't the problem, all in all withe the labour £299. Could of been worse.

Hope nothing else go's wrong for a while as I've spent £1,100 in less than a year. I'm padlocking my wallet up no more till next year please!!!!!

Ouch thats a lot!

Fingers crossed it has a better year!