Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rules On Dpf Removal Starting Feb 2014

exponential

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Just read this bit of info on the removal of a DPF......

Looks like im cancelling my DPF removal appointment! :(

Gutted. (No pun intended) :D

why? its purely visual check!!

the filter cannister is left in place- they cannot check whats inside. its all those that have bypass pipes etc

• Like 1

why? its purely visual check!!

the filter cannister is left in place- they cannot check whats inside. its all those that have bypass pipes etc

Really?? I really hope so because I am desperate to have mine done. Its causing me quite a few issues at the moment.

The way the document is worded, seems to suggest an actual test for DPF fuctionality or have I completely misread it??

you hvae misread it...it states as part of the exhaust system check(which is visual)

• Like 1

you hvae misread it...it states as part of the exhaust system check(which is visual)

Pheeeeeeewwwww! :D

Thanks for clarifying that dreadz! I just read it and assumed the worst.

Roll on January to get it deleted . . . . .

Just a little thing called christmas to get through first though. Hahaha.

Get it done, you won't regret it! I had mine done last week. I have gone from 107bhp to 143bhp! It's like driving a different car!

• Like 2

Get it done, you won't regret it! I had mine done last week. I have gone from 107bhp to 143bhp! It's like driving a different car!

Wow. Thats some improvement pal! Bet you've got bags of torque aswel eh??

How does the re-map work? I mean, do you get given options on the amount of BHP/torque increase based on what you personally want or is it done by the "type" of re-map?

So say, economy right through to maximum power not so much economy.....

Do you see where im coming from?

Was your motor rolling roaded before and after aswel?

be warned...this may very well extend beyond plain visual check either when it comes in or adapted later.

this could also include operation of warning light, and in time, may very well include actual access to diagnostics which will show dpf is deleted.

wouldnt take it for granted its a simple visual check just yet as its vosa that decides test procedures not the government..if vosa decides a visual is all thats needed initially, wont be long before pressure makes them change it to something more stringent

• Like 3

Pulls like a train all the way, bags of torque. Had a choice of economy, hybrid or performance, so naturally I went for the performance lol. The remapping it's self don't take long at all, it took longer to sort the dpf out (cut & weld job) and yes I had it on the rolling road before and after. They even tried it on the rolling road with just the dpf removed physically & from the ecu (no enhancements) and it gained 10bhp.

• Like 1

be warned...this may very well extend beyond plain visual check either when it comes in or adapted later.

this could also include operation of warning light, and in time, may very well include actual access to diagnostics which will show dpf is deleted.

wouldnt take it for granted its a simple visual check just yet as its vosa that decides test procedures not the government..if vosa decides a visual is all thats needed initially, wont be long before pressure makes them change it to something more stringent

Hi tony.

Yeah, that is something that concerns me to be honest. If they introduce more stringent tests in the future, a huge amount of people will have a big problem!

I really want to have this done because the DPF, in my opinion, is an absolute money pit!

Mine is a "coated" DPF which is meant to be a lifetime product yet it continuously throws me an E.M.L which in turn affects my engine's performance and economy. It wants to keep regenerating which uses more fuel etc etc.

I clear the codes regular but it returns again and again.

Its a bit of a catch 22.

• Like 1

To inform you from an mot tester i know as i said long ago it would happen to test the car will be made using a piece of equipment to force regen thats how they will test it the computer will state when regen is happening if it doesnt you fail to tell if the dpf is removed so all who have had it done are illegally driving this will be checked after an accident if tge cars a write off the dpf will be removed due to its value should it not be present youre insurance is nil and void read the statement they are to check as they are aware companies are illegaly removing them its not a visual check

• Like 1

why i would never buy a car with dpf system.....it will improve but no help to those already out there.

im not a betting man, but i reckon all angles will be covered by vosa sooner or later.

similar thing was planned for cats on petrol, but the introduction of the after cat sensor more or less stopped the mass numbers of people removing the innards of the cat.

• Like 1

Pulls like a train all the way, bags of torque. Had a choice of economy, hybrid or performance, so naturally I went for the performance lol. The remapping it's self don't take long at all, it took longer to sort the dpf out (cut & weld job) and yes I had it on the rolling road before and after. They even tried it on the rolling road with just the dpf removed physically & from the ecu (no enhancements) and it gained 10bhp.

Now thats what I like to hear! :)

Just reading the "pulls like a train" bit put a huge grin on my face! LOL

I bet you'll still improve your economy aswel even though you went for the all out performance re-map.

I would probably go for the middle ground and go the hybrid route for a lot more economy but with a bit of extra poke!

Are you not bothered about what tony just said though?

Maybe more stringent tests in the future.....

Read above and be warned from an mot tester the car will be made to regen since the removal stops this no regen no dpf if in doubt a tester can use obd software to check trust me all angles are covered so you wont get away with it it was never legal to do it now theyre proving it so see all these companies close down or face prosecution

• Like 1

Doesn't bother me in the slightest... There will always be ways around it. If your gonna do it... Get it done and stop messing about lol. For years people been saying this is gonna happen blah blah blah... Let's just see eh? Nobody is saying hand held computers etc are going to be used, that's someone opinion!! We've all got an opinion!

• Like 2

And you'll also find some cars are not accessible via obd... so how will they get around that? To force regent that is.!

They will do an emissions test on it then they will do a force regen if its removed that wont happen and opinions have nowt to do with what an mot tester has told me is going to be done no dpf no pass they make it clear should the tester have reason to believe the dpf is missing from the test they can either if trained use obd software to check or at youre cost they will be able to remove and check but the test will mean thats not going to be needed

If someonecwishes to do it on their own head it be be aware of the fscts understand its illegal and insurance companies check as a way of getting out of paying claims but dont advise them to break the law and end up payong for new dpfs etc its illegal it voids insurance the companies have been doing it illegally for years so its each persons individual choice

These test are the current test, you aren't having a straight pipe fitted therefore you're fine and the visual check will be okay, the other test is a smoke test, this can be done visually or using equipment, most smoke comes from trapped soot in the dpf anyways so once it's gone good to go.

Diesel engines emissions are fixed although overtime the emission levels will increase with age and wear this is totally normal. A high mileage diesel with excessive engine wear and stock dpf may have the same amount of emissions as a diesel that's had it's DPF removed, it would be almost impossible to tell based on emissions, VOSA does not introduce any mot rules that cannot be quickly and cheaply rolled out across the entire country.

Diesel engines are not tested for emissions

They will do an emissions test on it then they will do a force regen if its removed that wont happen and opinions have nowt to do with what an mot tester has told me is going to be done no dpf no pass they make it clear should the tester have reason to believe the dpf is missing from the test they can either if trained use obd software to check or at youre cost they will be able to remove and check but the test will mean thats not going to be needed

If someonecwishes to do it on their own head it be be aware of the fscts understand its illegal and insurance companies check as a way of getting out of paying claims but dont advise them to break the law and end up payong for new dpfs etc its illegal it voids insurance the companies have been doing it illegally for years so its each persons individual choice

Highly doubtful mate, testers opinion doesn't carry much weight because if you go by 10 different garaged you will get 10 different answers.

There is no emission test on diesel engines, diesel engines have a fixed emission rate from the date of registration there will be no change for cars already made, if any rules are made it will only be enforced on cars after the said rule has been put in place.

As i already said emission increases with age and wear to enforce such a rule that cars were to met the same emission as date of registration will require upgraded DPF for cars with high mileage, VOSA would never have such a rule for cars already made

Regen the car isnt hard to do anyone can do it are you aware you have a dpf light most removal companies switch it off most cars are accessible as above if there is doubt they can look at the dpf but youll either have the choice to own up or youll have to pay for a proper removal and inspection to be done since the car is left running for 40 mins or more the regen would normally increase the idle and obviously youll hear the fan they can simply let it idle which they do anyway with All cars its not hard to find out i can assure you theres stuff he wont tell me but all the angles are covered simple diagnostic clip tools many testers have this can be used they can check via emissions using the data all will be provided with they can let the car idle and rev it to attempt the regen at the near end of the test after its sat running a good while they can force regen via obd and if all else fails remove the exhaust. As my mate said a tap on the dpf with a screwdriver lets you know since its all empty it echoes like mad when you hit it a full one makes a dull noise

So where does it day all this is going to happen? Prove it.. Your just saying 1 man's opinion... Of all this is coming in then it will be written down somewhere... Because my local mot station are certainly saying it s visual!!! Along with checking rest of exhaust system!! Proof please otherwise stop scaring people

Believe what you want guys dont say i didnt say so when the tester fails the car and tells you to pay a lot of cash to have it refitted emissions dont increase with wear the sensors cats etc male sure they stay the same on a petrol the emissions are set at a specific amount 80k on and its still the same manufacturers calculated this when publishing the figures fact is they tell you plainly you wont get away with it as above various methods that can be used as told to me

They will bring the car in and it will be left running the whole time

Speculation is purely speculation and not fact! What will be will be. Until then . . . . . . .

Yeah ill nick the guys documents no ones scaring anyone read the news if the dpf has been removed it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when built the clue is there they will be required to check doesnt say visual anywhere in the report clue number 2 firms offer services to remove the filter clue 3 they expect an empty dpf Shell they know how its done they know visual checks are a waste of time this check makes it clear no dpf no pass they wont tell you the check youll find out when it hits the ramps all angles are covered and since all removals were illegal to start with it was known this was coming i said it a year ago as mot testers then were asking vosa why it was being allowed thetes so many ways to check a dpf from the easiest to the hardest it requires nothing they dont have and ss my mate said who said there wont be an emissions test for diesels anyway places like avon tuning tell you they expected new legislation to be a simple visual check so they cut a hole in the unseen part of the dpf remove filter and weld it up they say its legal they ssybit will pass an mot a smoke test etc etc vosa are aware of this procedure what im saying guys is if youre thinking of doing it wait till all the dpf removed cars hit the mot station after february go into a garage in march and ask the guy what will you check if what ive been told is true and he cant give me evidence to put up on the net its more than his jobsworth if its true beware regardless of all that it is checked in the event of an accident where the car is deemed as a total loss when the insurance company sells the car for its scrap value extra is paid for cats and dpfs if its not present the company is informed