Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rules On Dpf Removal Starting Feb 2014

exponential

Its not that bad. I'v worked at 3 different Mot stations. There so many differences in engines and models. Most of the time if we dont actualy see a DPF and exhuast looks unmodded. I let it pass. Simple.

Because at end of the day. We dont have time to look up all the the cars and dig into the history of every car & look at live data ect)

It's like my boss sweared to god my Diesal focus had a DPF. (it don't) (2000 TDDI)

• Like 1

DPF isnt an mot testing item as yet, so pushing your luck a bit if they were failed for not being there....there is a rule to do with tampering that will effect emissions (i think) and obviously the cat tests plus where the tailpipe is situated...but no specific DPF.

and if vosa decides, for example, that plugging in is part of the test, then telling them you dont do it because you dont have time to faff about with that nonsense....then kiss your license to test goodbye

then sadly the cost of Mot's will increase. Because time is money afterall, :mellow:

• Like 1

that will depend on what they decide to do with regards to test procedure.

chances are they will supply any relevent information with regards to fitment etc of dpf of the specific vehicle being tested at the time when the vehicle is logged in, as they already do with other testable items that occasionly differ from the norm..

as it stands, the minimum time to carry out an mot is 36mins...cant see them making dpf tests charges higher than others...but who knows, they're the boss and either the garages comply or lose the license along with the investment and revenue that goes with it

Alot of the data on emission machine aren't correct and is a guideline tbh. There are also no laws about what machines or what softwear versons are used.

Untill Cars connect diectly to VOSA via Dignostic port ect. There will always be loopholes and problems.

When i was younger i used to rebuild engine and work alot on 106/16Vs/Rallyes Not 1 Mot station i used knew that there was 3 Different 16V engines Verson's . with 4 versons of cats/different admission/exhuast & manifold cats ect)

I had a RS Turbo failed a Mot because of going over sound limit. They had engine listed as N/A 1.6 CHV because there Machine wasnt listed for the Turbo. (even tho cars been around for 20 years). They just passed me on the spot.

There tons of laws that can't be held too like the stock WRX that dont have Projectors from factory(bmw and audi also). Yet because they fit them too new other models without washers. We can't fail them and disagress with a customer about who bolted them on when the factory are still doing it.

What about engines that been transplanted from other cars into older body/chassis ? its endless possabiltys.

End of the day. Aslong as tester is fair and reasonable. There is no need to treaten to report them ect lol.

i have a bus go past my house pouring black smoke out of it for about 3 hours of a night with not a soul on it. public transport are the ones who need a kick up the butt.when it comes to admissions.

• Like 1

there are minimum requirements etc on all equipment used for testing, they also need calibration/servicing certificates as appropiate..so dont understand your point

not sure what you mean by emission data either....vosa sets max limits depending on year of manufacture, no matter what the car is...thats all the data you need to know.

unless your talking about the deeper test once it failed the initial emission figures...in which case if engine isnt listed, go for nearest one and report it to machine manufacturer..only a software issue...still has to beat the max limit anyway.

headlight laws with projectors are a farce anyway...that will get sorted sooner or later but you will always get a few that will be different from the norm...VOSA arent out to trip you up, as you said, do an honest test and bring the matter up with the rep for future reference.

public transport have to comply like everyone else, go through a test like everyone else...like i said, in London they have recently invested millions in retro fitting DPF which goes way beyond min test requirements....but just like everyone else, an mot is at point of test, could be passed, driven 100yds down the road, blow something that will cause it to billow out harmful pollutents, yet do nothing and carry on driving for a year till the next test...

lets all wait and see what happens, in the meantime, all everyone is saying is if you remove your DPF then your risking blowing your money and risking much bigger expense in getting it reinstalled..thats it...

i feel like your taking the matter too seriously. End of the day it's up to the mot tester not the customer.

Some of new bmw have full Engine floor covers that cover the whole DPF units hidden away on the manifold.. most Mot stations use pits not engine lifts so can i image how hard it will be to see.

For first few months or year the mot stations wont be massively strict on it. But they will in the future. Same as De-cats.

not taking it seriously at all mate, wont affect me in the slightest as i dont own anything with a dpf and never will...but i have customers that could get dragged into it....but thats down to them as i dont work on dmf problems beyond attempts at forced regens etc and have never recommended to any of them to get them removed.

if you read everything ive written, ive been saying it wont be strict at first, but in my opinion it will in the future....just replying to people asking for advice as they're considering having dpf removed....so once again...dont see your point???

Don't think i'll be removing my DPF by the looks of things then!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Ok. So the rules are changing and people who have had a DPF removed will now fail an MOT...

Insurance companies will refuse to pay out in the event of a crash where a car is found to have had a DPF removed.

Fair enough, but what about the people who have unknowingly bought a car which has had its DPF removed already?

How can it be fair on an unsuspecting customer who has bought one of these cars and it fails an MOT or, has a bump and finds that their insurance wont pay out because of something they knew nothing about!

How can an insurance company prove that the insured driver was responsible for the DPF removal in the first place??

I am still undecided about my DPF.

My friend is an MOT tester and is getting back to me on this as he knew nothing about it!!

Time will tell guys time will tell no idea if they can remove parts just that theyre saying they will need to

im not falling out wi anyone the guys never told me rubbish before but even he admits theres alot they havent been told so either im right or ill be wrong either way its a debate and thats whet were here for we dont all agree i can see many of the points of view myself to me dpf and various other bits on diesels now are just a way to make money if it were up to me it would be leagl to remove the blooming things but alass its not im sure in the new year we will have a new thread

• Like 1

Will ask the question again....

Ok. So the rules are changing and people who have had a DPF removed will now fail an MOT...Insurance companies will refuse to pay out in the event of a crash where a car is found to have had a DPF removed.Fair enough, but what about the people who have unknowingly bought a car which has had its DPF removed already?

How can it be fair on an unsuspecting customer who has bought one of these cars and it fails an MOT or, has a bump and finds that their insurance wont pay out because of something they knew nothing about!

How can an insurance company prove that the insured driver was responsible for the DPF removal in the first place??

I am still undecided about my DPF.

• Like 1

it is a bit harsh on all that have them removed, wether knowingly or unknowingly..but since when has the government ever worried about the little guy.

as said, new regulations in london rendered my perfectly good van worthless overnight..and also forced me to splash out for later compliable vehicle...yet the car version of my van that was identical beyond having extra windows and seats didnt fall under the regulation at all...how does that make sense???

so dont bank on any leeway being given

if your having problems with it, then your in a tough spot as removal may very well see you forking out a lot of money to replace in the future...has it been diagnosed yet, or have you tried regen yourself yet

• Like 1

Completely agree with you there Tony.

It's like any form of insurance, the first thing they do before anything else is look for a way of not paying out!

Anyway, yeah, been having a lot of issues with it mate.

EML on all the time because of it, bought a bluetooth codereader and its 100% DPF failing.

I have tried trashing the car, high revs for 20 mins plus on motorway, you name it ive tried it.

Ive cleared the code but within days they come back and I can "feel" the difference when the EML comes on.

The thing is, its meant to be a coated DPF which is meant to be a lifetime product.

I just want rid of it to be honest, its going to cost me a fortune!!

Vosa and the DfT really disagree with DPF removal. I was looking into this a few years ago and they basically told me that it was illegal and they would never allow it, seems a few years later they have cottened on.

I am looking into "workarounds" at the moment. I can see you can buy a DPF for £120 online. This is something that might come in handy. For example, remove the DPF and then get a friend or a garage to remove the "non dpf" canister and replace with the DPF canister for the test. Get the MOT done, and then swap back.

Still a damned site cheaper than the rest of the maintenance and the fun that Ford will charge you for.

which is the workaround i suggested. can get a scrapper for lot cheaper. then swap at Mot time. it should drive ok -as its disconnected via ecu- so running should be alright. thats what i will do if have too :p

• Like 1

Yep, and if its the way that it needs to go, and no one can prove that because the DPF is present that the thing isnt removed in the ECU. perhaps the removers will have to get clever and start to come up with maps that keep the light in place, but remove the logic!

thing is not all obd connections work- my mates is faulty and has dodgy connection- so how do they test that if its knackered? nothing connects to it..they wont be able to read anything from that port- i'm sure with a little playing about i could achieve a temporary break in mine lol

that way they cant test anything else but visual?

Its easy enough to do, however I believe there is another OBDII port located somewhere in the bonnet!

there has always been the option of failure due to inability to complete the test because....insert the reason

if i was him id get it sorted anyway, even if it doesnt form part of the mot

(not a VAG with an aftermarket stereo by any chance)

im not sure how it will effect the insurance if say you bought a car second hand with it removed but if you did from a garage or dealer they are responsible hence why someone i know is punting his diesels from his garage cheap most garages and dealers will have the car checked for the dpf from what i know from what my old boss said if it doesnt have a dpf then they will depending on the car and cost either offer less for the car if the customer aint happy je will find all garages are doing the same so will have to accept or the customer repair it himself

insurance shouldnt be an issue as if it was sold before the new rules then its the new owners responsibility to ensure the car is in good condition so should the worst happen its likely they will say its youre car you should have checked most cars will not suffer the worst but likely find out at the mot and be hit with a large bill

the place that does removals near me has now stated that they can do the removals however they no longer offer any gaurantee that the car will be road legal nor do they accept any liability should it under the new rules fail an mot basically trying to dump it on the owner lol you gotta laugh at these guys

We'll guys, I've just spoken to a professional DPF removal and remap company, they do many many vehicles including new Fords, BMW, Porsche, Audi etc. I questioned them with the new mot rules and they said it's only VISUAL inspection - a blanking pipe would void obviously, but they said they do the most professional job they can to make it look like the DPF is untouched and car is unmodified. I then questioned about bringing in something to plug in via OBD ports etc. they said its impossible- they've invested over 30000 pounds on remap equipment and still can't read all cars software via the OBD ports. They wouldn't be able to create a tool that's clever enough to do this.

So there we go guys, looks like i WILL be having it done!

Henry, out of interest, who did you talk to about this and do you know their credentials? Its just that I am still thinking about getting this work done as well and looking for someone trustworthy, or at least who knows what they are doing. I know all the dpf deleters have a vested interest in pursuading you to get it done, so its important to make sure we chose the right outfit.

I wish you luck with it! I truly hope that the DPF removal service is no longer dead in the water (far too many troubles to overcome!) but never the less, I would hope that it also allows you to pass the MOT.

Its one of those things, until I hear success stories of car vs new MOT, I don't want to advise anyone to look into DPF removal as I dont want to land them a whopper of a bill in February :p

Henry, out of interest, who did you talk to about this and do you know their credentials? Its just that I am still thinking about getting this work done as well and looking for someone trustworthy, or at least who knows what they are doing. I know all the dpf deleters have a vested interest in pursuading you to get it done, so its important to make sure we chose the right outfit.

They're called Avon tuning and they're in the south west area, in a place called Thornbury close to Bristol. They are on Facebook & they have pictures of every vehicle they have worked on. Just search for 'avon tuning'