Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Name: A
  • Ford Model: focus
  • Year: 2007

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

And you'll also find some cars are not accessible via obd... so how will they get around that? To force regent that is.!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

They will do an emissions test on it then they will do a force regen if its removed that wont happen and opinions have nowt to do with what an mot tester has told me is going to be done no dpf no pass they make it clear should the tester have reason to believe the dpf is missing from the test they can either if trained use obd software to check or at youre cost they will be able to remove and check but the test will mean thats not going to be needed

If someonecwishes to do it on their own head it be be aware of the fscts understand its illegal and insurance companies check as a way of getting out of paying claims but dont advise them to break the law and end up payong for new dpfs etc its illegal it voids insurance the companies have been doing it illegally for years so its each persons individual choice

#18 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,687 posts
  • Name: Kurt
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

These test are the current test, you aren't having a straight pipe fitted therefore you're fine and the visual check will be okay, the other test is a smoke test, this can be done visually or using equipment, most smoke comes from trapped soot in the dpf anyways so once it's gone good to go.

Diesel engines emissions are fixed although overtime the emission levels will increase with age and wear this is totally normal. A high mileage diesel with excessive engine wear and stock dpf may have the same amount of emissions as a diesel that's had it's DPF removed,  it would be almost impossible to tell based on emissions, VOSA does not introduce any mot rules that cannot be quickly and cheaply rolled out across the entire country. 

Diesel engines are not tested for emissions

#19 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,687 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

They will do an emissions test on it then they will do a force regen if its removed that wont happen and opinions have nowt to do with what an mot tester has told me is going to be done no dpf no pass they make it clear should the tester have reason to believe the dpf is missing from the test they can either if trained use obd software to check or at youre cost they will be able to remove and check but the test will mean thats not going to be needed

If someonecwishes to do it on their own head it be be aware of the fscts understand its illegal and insurance companies check as a way of getting out of paying claims but dont advise them to break the law and end up payong for new dpfs etc its illegal it voids insurance the companies have been doing it illegally for years so its each persons individual choice

Highly doubtful mate, testers opinion doesn't carry much weight because if you go by 10 different garaged you will get 10 different answers.

There is no emission test on diesel engines, diesel engines have a fixed emission rate from the date of registration there will be no change for cars already made, if any rules are made it will only be enforced on cars after the said rule has been put in place.

As i already said emission increases with age and wear to enforce such a rule that cars were to met the same emission as date of registration will require upgraded DPF for cars with high mileage, VOSA would never have such a rule for cars already made

#20 dreadz

dreadz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thank you a fact full reply!

#21 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Regen the car isnt hard to do anyone can do it are you aware you have a dpf light most removal companies switch it off most cars are accessible as above if there is doubt they can look at the dpf but youll either have the choice to own up or youll have to pay for a proper removal and inspection to be done since the car is left running for 40 mins or more the regen would normally increase the idle and obviously youll hear the fan they can simply let it idle which they do anyway with All cars its not hard to find out i can assure you theres stuff he wont tell me but all the angles are covered simple diagnostic clip tools many testers have this can be used they can check via emissions using the data all will be provided with they can let the car idle and rev it to attempt the regen at the near end of the test after its sat running a good while they can force regen via obd and if all else fails remove the exhaust. As my mate said a tap on the dpf with a screwdriver lets you know since its all empty it echoes like mad when you hit it a full one makes a dull noise

#22 dreadz

dreadz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

So where does it day all this is going to happen? Prove it.. Your just saying 1 man's opinion... Of all this is coming in then it will be written down somewhere... Because my local mot station are certainly saying it s visual!!! Along with checking rest of exhaust system!! Proof please otherwise stop scaring people

#23 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Believe what you want guys dont say i didnt say so when the tester fails the car and tells you to pay a lot of cash to have it refitted emissions dont increase with wear the sensors cats etc male sure they stay the same on a petrol the emissions are set at a specific amount 80k on and its still the same manufacturers calculated this when publishing the figures fact is they tell you plainly you wont get away with it as above various methods that can be used as told to me

They will bring the car in and it will be left running the whole time

#24 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci titanium (DPF)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Speculation is purely speculation and not fact! What will be will be. Until then . . . . . . .

#25 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yeah ill nick the guys documents no ones scaring anyone read the news if the dpf has been removed it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when built the clue is there they will be required to check doesnt say visual anywhere in the report clue number 2 firms offer services to remove the filter clue 3 they expect an empty dpf shell they know how its done they know visual checks are a waste of time this check makes it clear no dpf no pass they wont tell you the check youll find out when it hits the ramps all angles are covered and since all removals were illegal to start with it was known this was coming i said it a year ago as mot testers then were asking vosa why it was being allowed thetes so many ways to check a dpf from the easiest to the hardest it requires nothing they dont have and ss my mate said who said there wont be an emissions test for diesels anyway places like avon tuning tell you they expected new legislation to be a simple visual check so they cut a hole in the unseen part of the dpf remove filter and weld it up they say its legal they ssybit will pass an mot a smoke test etc etc vosa are aware of this procedure what im saying guys is if youre thinking of doing it wait till all the dpf removed cars hit the mot station after february go into a garage in march and ask the guy what will you check if what ive been told is true and he cant give me evidence to put up on the net its more than his jobsworth if its true beware regardless of all that it is checked in the event of an accident where the car is deemed as a total loss when the insurance company sells the car for its scrap value extra is paid for cats and dpfs if its not present the company is informed

#26 mixmasterlooney

mixmasterlooney

The Sexecutioner

• FOC Supporters
  • 1,687 posts
Contributor

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Indeed emissions do stay fixed on petrols that's true but we are on about diesels and the cat is for emission the dpf is for particle/smoke emissions but not the same gases as a cat. No removal of parts allowed during an mot, certainly no diagnostic tools allowed. Mot fail regarding dashboard lights are only related to safety eg. Seatbelts, abs, eps. Not engine faults, glow plugs, dpf regen lights.

I'd like to see the tester fail a car mot based on a none vosa test such as screwdriver tapping on dpf... he sounds like he's full of it. No offence btw mate :D

A bad cat on a petrol smells awful a none dpf has no difference in smell.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

#27 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

the test hasnt been set yet as the announcement has only just been made.

but something your all forgetting...dpf's lead to cheaper road tax, if you think for one minute that the government is unaware that dpf removal is becoming more and more popular, therefore more and more people are underpaying the yearly charge, yet will sit there and think there is nothing they can do about this beyond a visual test....your kidding yourselves.

ive no idea what the procedure will be when the change is applied, but the recommendations will go beyond visual sooner or later, especially when a simple plug in will tell the tester all they need to know...i believe that the need for that tester will delay that coming in from the beginning as garages will be required to invest in approved equipment...

we are talking about complying to european law that has over the years has become more and more strict, exactly why DPF was brought about in the first place.

think removing is risking your wallet, sooner or later it will come....(though i dont blame anyone for wanting rid of it)

#28 dreadz

dreadz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

So the test hadn't been set yet and your announcing how they're going to test??? Ummm k... let's leave it there till something concrete comes out eh.

#29 markw96

markw96

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Mark
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci titanium (DPF)
  • Year: 2008

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yawn

#30 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

vosa will be aware of this long before you or i

its your choice, but if they cover the angles which will be very simple a lot of people will be moaning about being out of pocket.

can be no argument against it either as its illegal anyway.

the plus side is it will force the makers to vastly improve the system as it will seriously affect sales of the diesel car over time

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users