Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Time will tell guys time will tell no idea if they can remove parts just that theyre saying they will need to

im not falling out wi anyone the guys never told me rubbish before but even he admits theres alot they havent been told so either im right or ill be wrong either way its a debate and thats whet were here for we dont all agree i can see many of the points of view myself to me dpf and various other bits on diesels now are just a way to make money if it were up to me it would be leagl to remove the blooming things but alass its not im sure in the new year we will have a new thread

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#62 exponential

exponential

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 410 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: 1.6 TDCI Focus Estate Titanium (109)
  • Year: 2009

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Will ask the question again....

Ok. So the rules are changing and people who have had a DPF removed will now fail an MOT...Insurance companies will refuse to pay out in the event of a crash where a car is found to have had a DPF removed.Fair enough, but what about the people who have unknowingly bought a car which has had its DPF removed already?
How can it be fair on an unsuspecting customer who has bought one of these cars and it fails an MOT or, has a bump and finds that their insurance wont pay out because of something they knew nothing about!
How can an insurance company prove that the insured driver was responsible for the DPF removal in the first place??

I am still undecided about my DPF.

#63 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

it is a bit harsh on all that have them removed, wether knowingly or unknowingly..but since when has the government ever worried about the little guy.

as said, new regulations in london rendered my perfectly good van worthless overnight..and also forced me to splash out for later compliable vehicle...yet the car version of my van that was identical beyond having extra windows and seats didnt fall under the regulation at all...how does that make sense???

so dont bank on any leeway being given

if your having problems with it, then your in a tough spot as removal may very well see you forking out a lot of money to replace in the future...has it been diagnosed yet, or have you tried regen yourself yet

#64 exponential

exponential

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 410 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: 1.6 TDCI Focus Estate Titanium (109)
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Completely agree with you there Tony.

It's like any form of insurance, the first thing they do before anything else is look for a way of not paying out!

Anyway, yeah, been having a lot of issues with it mate.
EML on all the time because of it, bought a bluetooth codereader and its 100% DPF failing.

I have tried trashing the car, high revs for 20 mins plus on motorway, you name it ive tried it.

Ive cleared the code but within days they come back and I can "feel" the difference when the EML comes on.

The thing is, its meant to be a coated DPF which is meant to be a lifetime product.

I just want rid of it to be honest, its going to cost me a fortune!!

#65 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,624 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

Vosa and the DfT really disagree with DPF removal. I was looking into this a few years ago and they basically told me that it was illegal and they would never allow it, seems a few years later they have cottened on.

I am looking into "workarounds" at the moment. I can see you can buy a DPF for £120 online. This is something that might come in handy. For example, remove the DPF and then get a friend or a garage to remove the "non dpf" canister and replace with the DPF canister for the test. Get the MOT done, and then swap back.

Still a damned site cheaper than the rest of the maintenance and the fun that Ford will charge you for.

#66 dreadz

dreadz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name: ade
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

which is the workaround i suggested. can get a scrapper for lot cheaper. then swap at Mot time. it should drive ok -as its disconnected via ecu- so running should be alright. thats what i will do if have too :P

#67 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,624 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yep, and if its the way that it needs to go, and no one can prove that because the DPF is present that the thing isnt removed in the ECU. perhaps the removers will have to get clever and start to come up with maps that keep the light in place, but remove the logic!

#68 dreadz

dreadz

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Name: ade
  • Ford Model: focus 1.6 tdci

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

thing is not all obd connections work- my mates is faulty and has dodgy connection- so how do they test that if its knackered? nothing connects to it..they wont be able to read anything from that port- i'm sure with a little playing about i could achieve a temporary break in mine lol

that way they cant test anything else but visual?

#69 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,624 posts
Contributor

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Its easy enough to do, however I believe there is another OBDII port located somewhere in the bonnet!

#70 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

there has always been the option of failure due to inability to complete the test because....insert the reason

if i was him id get it sorted anyway, even if it doesnt form part of the mot

(not a VAG with an aftermarket stereo by any chance)

#71 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,981 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

im not sure how it will effect the insurance if say you bought a car second hand with it removed but if you did from a garage or dealer they are responsible hence why someone i know is punting his diesels from his garage cheap most garages and dealers will have the car checked for the dpf from what i know from what my old boss said if it doesnt have a dpf then they will depending on the car and cost either offer less for the car if the customer aint happy je will find all garages are doing the same so will have to accept or the customer repair it himself

insurance shouldnt be an issue as if it was sold before the new rules then its the new owners responsibility to ensure the car is in good condition so should the worst happen its likely they will say its youre car you should have checked most cars will not suffer the worst but likely find out at the mot and be hit with a large bill

the place that does removals near me has now stated that they can do the removals however they no longer offer any gaurantee that the car will be road legal nor do they accept any liability should it under the new rules fail an mot basically trying to dump it on the owner lol you gotta laugh at these guys

#72 hillesleyhenry

hillesleyhenry

Ford enthusiast

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Name: Henry
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s
  • Year: 2010

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

We'll guys, I've just spoken to a professional DPF removal and remap company, they do many many vehicles including new Fords, BMW, Porsche, Audi etc. I questioned them with the new mot rules and they said it's only VISUAL inspection - a blanking pipe would void obviously, but they said they do the most professional job they can to make it look like the DPF is untouched and car is unmodified. I then questioned about bringing in something to plug in via OBD ports etc. they said its impossible- they've invested over 30000 pounds on remap equipment and still can't read all cars software via the OBD ports. They wouldn't be able to create a tool that's clever enough to do this.

So there we go guys, looks like i WILL be having it done!

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

#73 south_bound

south_bound

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Name: V
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 TDCi Ghia

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Henry, out of interest, who did you talk to about this and do you know their credentials?  Its just that I am still thinking about getting this work done as well and looking for someone trustworthy, or at least who knows what they are doing.  I know all the dpf deleters have a vested interest in pursuading you to get it done, so its important to make sure we chose the right outfit.

#74 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,624 posts
Contributor

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

I wish you luck with it! I truly hope that the DPF removal service is no longer dead in the water (far too many troubles to overcome!) but never the less, I would hope that it also allows you to pass the MOT.

Its one of those things, until I hear success stories of car vs new MOT, I don't want to advise anyone to look into DPF removal as I dont want to land them a whopper of a bill in February :P

#75 hillesleyhenry

hillesleyhenry

Ford enthusiast

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Name: Henry
  • Ford Model: Focus zetec s
  • Year: 2010

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

Henry, out of interest, who did you talk to about this and do you know their credentials? Its just that I am still thinking about getting this work done as well and looking for someone trustworthy, or at least who knows what they are doing. I know all the dpf deleters have a vested interest in pursuading you to get it done, so its important to make sure we chose the right outfit.

They're called Avon tuning and they're in the south west area, in a place called Thornbury close to Bristol. They are on Facebook & they have pictures of every vehicle they have worked on. Just search for 'avon tuning'

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users