DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Drew
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0L Titanium 4 Door Saloon
  • Year: 2006

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

So after looking through the partly filled service book on my newly aquired Focus 2.0L Petrol Focus and doing an oil change today I'm thinking that it's possible that the spark plugs are due for replacement.

After looking for a while on the FOC forums, I couldn't find an answer to "What would be a good set of spark plugs to give a good performance/economy".

I came across this thread [LINK] on another website (sorry for digressing off this wonderful site) which basically states that using the 'Autolite AR103' may be my best bet, but it seems to be an american make and not readily available in the UK. 

Can anyone suggest a good substitution for this type in the UK. I think I'm looking for a copper plug that has a groove cut in the electrode and the electrode is nickel plated.

FYI 2.0L Duratec HE Petrol engine 2006.

Your recommendations please. ;)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 eliaskok

eliaskok

Ford Fan

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Name: Elias
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:32 AM

Bosch Super Plus are very good spark plugs, never had a problem with them.

#3 AJRTDDI

AJRTDDI

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Name: antony
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDDi
  • Year: 2000

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:02 AM

idk i only have glowplugs :)

+1 for bosch

#4 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

You're basically split between Bosch, Champion and NGK seeing as they're the only really prominent plugs in the UK.
Just go for whichever are the best rated in the correct size range.
Must admit that the Bosch Super Plus do get a good rating though.

#5 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

Bosch are what ford use its what i use and as above they are good plugs ford sell them quite cheap as well just remember they say pregapped but thats old gap sizes ypull need to gap them to 1.0mm

#6 Vendee

Vendee

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Bosch are what ford use its what i use and as above they are good plugs ford sell them quite cheap as well just remember they say pregapped but thats old gap sizes ypull need to gap them to 1.0mm

Are Ford really using Bosch now? Its been a while since I've owned a petrol Focus but they always used be NGK. The original plugs were always Motorcraft but they were rebranded NGK's. I would personally stay away from Champion, having had some bad experiences with them in the past.

#7 DJ Drewman

DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I had a look online and frankly I'm really confused. I can't work out if I'm meant to use the +39 size or +46 (on the Bosch Super Plus) I just can't get a definitive answer what plug I should use :/

The Online Ford Parts site, says I can have a set of 4 (using my VIN) for £35 + VAT - really????

So assuming I'm going to go down the Bosch Super plus route, can anyone tell me what size I need.
(Once again 2.0L Petrol Duratec HE engine 2006 model)

Secondary to that I'm thinking of setting the gap to 55thou (which if my conversion is correct is around 1.4mm) as from the american thread I linked in my first post [LINK AGAIN] it seams to be the best gap for performance/economy - can anyone confirm that for me?

Thankies in advance.

#8 eliaskok

eliaskok

Ford Fan

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I had a look online and frankly I'm really confused. I can't work out if I'm meant to use the +39 size or +46 (on the Bosch Super Plus) I just can't get a definitive answer what plug I should use :/

The Online Ford Parts site, says I can have a set of 4 (using my VIN) for £35 + VAT - really????

So assuming I'm going to go down the Bosch Super plus route, can anyone tell me what size I need.
(Once again 2.0L Petrol Duratec HE engine 2006 model)

Secondary to that I'm thinking of setting the gap to 55thou (which if my conversion is correct is around 1.4mm) as from the american thread I linked in my first post [LINK AGAIN] it seams to be the best gap for performance/economy - can anyone confirm that for me?

Thankies in advance.

You should be fine with this here

http://www.eurocarpa...d30e8845

#9 DJ Drewman

DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

You should be fine with this here

http://www.eurocarpa...d30e8845

I
Thanks Eliaskok, I did look here and I queried it because a) the price [per plug?, lower down it states fitted quantity: 4, which is correct?] and the fact it states just 'Bosch' not 'Bosch Super Plus' 

I found these [LINK] which if this is the correct plug, seems a great price for 4. It looks like the same spec, 17.5mm thread length

Your thoughts?

#10 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,940 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

1.4mm will eat up coil packs give lumpy idle thats why ford set it to 1.0mm i wouldnt go higher as its not good

#11 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,307 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Agreed, larger gap equals larger spark which means higher draw from the coil.
Higher draw causes shorter coil/ht lifespan.
Best sticking to recommended specs.

#12 AJRTDDI

AJRTDDI

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Name: antony
  • Ford Model: 1.8 TDDi
  • Year: 2000

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'v always done Zetec/e to the Haynes manual (1.3mm) (How cold it is here the smaller gap cant really hurt) lol

#13 Vendee

Vendee

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Name: Paul
  • Year: 2005

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'v always done Zetec/e to the Haynes manual (1.3mm) (How cold it is here the smaller gap cant really hurt) lol

Haynes manual is not subject to ammendment. Ford specify 1.0mm. If you use 1.3mm it will eat your leads and coilpack.

#14 eliaskok

eliaskok

Ford Fan

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

I
Thanks Eliaskok, I did look here and I queried it because a) the price [per plug?, lower down it states fitted quantity: 4, which is correct?] and the fact it states just 'Bosch' not 'Bosch Super Plus'

I found these [LINK] which if this is the correct plug, seems a great price for 4. It looks like the same spec, 17.5mm thread length

Your thoughts?

I think is the super plus but am not sure. The other link you have sent me are also correct part for your car and the price is good but you can find better one.

#15 DJ Drewman

DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

So I nipped out and bought a set of Bosch Super Plugs (No 46 for my engine). I also bought a Haynes Manual whist I was at the shop. 

The plugs came with a 1.1mm gap from the box, I've increased it to 1.2mm so I get better performance/economy.

As it's fairly easy to replace the coils I was looking at cost LONG TERM. Here are my rough thoughts/calculations.

So say the coils only last 25,000miles (which I would expect to be very low, and probably would last double that, but for the purpose of my calculations....) and by increasing the gap I get an extra 2.5mpg better economy (Once again, it may be more or maybe less...)

So over 25,000miles at 30mpg you use 834gallons. Over 25,000miles at 32,5mpg you use 769gallons, that's a 65gallon saving.
65Gallons at 1.30p/litre equates to £383. (65 x 4.54 x 1.3)

The coils cost around £100 - £120 to replace. So even by taking the larger figure off the saving (383-120) You still have a saving of £263 over the life of the coils IF they last only 25,000 miles.

So looking at the bigger picture, I would think that the smart thing would be to have a slightly bigger gap (than the standard 1.0mm that Ford recommend), as the long term savings are possibly massive.

Please note, I have NO basis to the figures above, but have put in reasonable assumptions that may be fiction but maybe not that far from fact!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk2, 2.0L Petrol, Duratec HE, Spark plugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users