Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

genuine coils are £35 quid from ebay and also made by bosch all ford m k2 and 2.5 use bosch plugs coils and leads as standard at 1.3mm the foci had misfire and coil pack problems ford reduced the gap to 1.0mm and its never changed since for that very reason 1.2mm will not do much it may give a poor or a miss at idle as the gap will increase over time  given a bigger gap can eat coils in 10k miles youre figures are way out but if youre happy with 1.2mm go for it personally ive had the 1.3mm and it was a pain in the rear with misfires rough idle etc and yes bosch super plus are the plugs fords are just rebranded

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4157b130dc

genuine ford coil with fomoco part number on it

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 DJ Drewman

DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Drew
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0L Titanium 4 Door Saloon

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Arthur, I appreciate your comments :) 

I'm going to give it a go with the 1.2mm gap, if I start having problems with idle etc, I'll take a look at the state of the plugs and maybe reduce the gap. At the moment it's sweet as a nut, but of course this could change. The Bosch plugs I put in looked very different to the Ford plugs that came out, god know how old there were as well maybe 3+ years, quite possibly the reason for the massive difference.

#18 DJ Drewman

DJ Drewman

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Name: Drew
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.0L Titanium 4 Door Saloon

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4157b130dc

genuine ford coil with fomoco part number on it

FYI My engine doesn't have the above coil pack, it has the individual coils like these: 

http://www.ignitionc...c=PC9007&s_vid=

:D

#19 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 724 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

My 2010 1.6 ti-vct focus had NGK TR5B-13 from the factory. Factory gap of 1.3mm on those plugs. I replaced with the same ones and have no issues with rough idle or misfires.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

#20 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

the 2008 on HXDA HXDB engine code has a ngk coil pack and plugs 2004-2008 has the bosch plugs and leads dont know wh they changed the mk1 used ngk and they were always a pain with coil failures due to the 1.3mm gap the mk2 with the bosch doesnt suffer from the coil pack issue it doesnt happen stright away ide ask ford if its been changed as the 12.3mm gap was causing the coil packs and leads to fail early causing the misfires etc ford have a tsb where its stated its reduced to 1.0mm to prevent this any dealer will tell you if its been changed even the bosch are pregapped at 1.3mm but ford took them out and regapped them at 1.0mm as thats what its meant to be

#21 higgsy

higgsy

Northern Yam Yam

• FOC Supporters
  • 724 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec S 1.6 TI-VCT
  • Year: 2010

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

the 2008 on HXDA HXDB engine code has a ngk coil pack and plugs 2004-2008 has the bosch plugs and leads dont know wh they changed the mk1 used ngk and they were always a pain with coil failures due to the 1.3mm gap the mk2 with the bosch doesnt suffer from the coil pack issue it doesnt happen stright away ide ask ford if its been changed as the 12.3mm gap was causing the coil packs and leads to fail early causing the misfires etc ford have a tsb where its stated its reduced to 1.0mm to prevent this any dealer will tell you if its been changed even the bosch are pregapped at 1.3mm but ford took them out and regapped them at 1.0mm as thats what its meant to be

My coil pack is bosch. If you look on the various sites /catalogues for the Mk2's it shows a 1.0mm gap pre 2008 and a 1.3mm gap post 2008.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ford OC mobile app

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mk2, 2.0L Petrol, Duratec HE, Spark plugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users