Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squealing Noise 45Mph+

pdg33

me again - the focus i picked up today has an annoying squealing noise at speeds of 45 and above.

can't work out where this is coming from - having searched on the internet, on some of the U.S. forums one or two threads suggest it 'normal' but i don't believe this for a minute!

anyone have the same issues? it's a 2003 Zetec model. the noise only becomes apparent at speeds of 45 and above, and i checked all the windows - they are all closed tightly so just can't work out what it could be.

thanks in advance

• Like 1

i have a squealing noise at around 80-90mph and it was a small gap on the passagers side mirror as air passed through it.

Dose the noise disappear on the motorway or dose the loudness increase with speed ?

I haven't been on the motorway yet but not sure the volume increases with speed, it's more that it persists I think - it does sound like it's wind related, as you say mirror or windscreen perhaps, but no idea how to diagnose this at all?

have u tryed driving with window wipers on if u think its the windowscreen area. ?

It's not high tec but Worse comes to worse u can get some masking tape and cover some seams to see if the noise stops.. Thats how i dignosed my problem

I haven't a clue where the noise is coming from but I'm sure it's around the outside at the front somewhere. I did wonder if it might be wipers as they look like a pretty cheap pair though admittedly they work fine? How did you diagnose your issue then?

alot of listening and messing.

Does ur drivers window wiper still have the wind deflector fitted (that pushes your window wiper harder on the glass)

if the sound seem's to be the Wing/Door/Pillar area. i'd take a look at ur mirrors first. Then maybe door seals :)

when u run ur hands over the body lines (bonnet/ archs / doors) do them all seem flat and lined up incase ur bonnet rubber are sitting high/low ect?

Engine bays get very cold you start driving it gets defrosted lots of condensation gets on the belts etc given the time of yesr it may just be that and will go away problem with a squeek is it can be from many places at 45mph brakes are an option a slightly warped disk or rust on the edge of the disk wheel bearings are another option also

Hi had similar problem with my focus zetec ok at low speeds but when driving at speed had similar noise my mate had a drive and said it was brakes . Sure enough when he put it on ramps the offside front wheel didnt move freely took caliper of that was ok it was flexi pipe that was damaged . Mate sorted all brakes out now spot on no noise. Try jacking front up and try spinning wheels worth a try.

Hi,

thanks the the insight - can you please elaborate a bit here then? when you say the flexi pipe, what is this, and how does it stop the wheel from moving freely if it's damaged?

i'll try and get it on the ramp then in a few weeks' time if I can. there's also a littile bit of a rattle type buzz at low revs, is the zetec engine a little 'tinny' , i.e. is this normal?

thanks

Think the flexi pipe feeds the caliper . When you press brake the caliper closes but wouldnt release caliper when you take foot of brake , because the flexi pipe wasnt releasing the fluid out of system this was binding the brakes to disc due to the heat and the faster i was going the hotter the brakes became thats what the noise was. Had to have new pads as these were worn down new flexi and discs as they were warped cost £110 fitted. Im no mechanic think its the explanation my mate gave me or something like that.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club