Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Zetec S Mk 6.5 Mysterious Knock

Gaulson

Hello,

Well I'm new to this forum so I may as well start with what has been causing me stress the past year...

About a year ago I started noticing a knock coming from the front of my car when doing manouvers, so if I reverse with a steering lock (whether it's fully over or just half turned) I get a knock. This is a metallic one, sometimes dulled down as if under water.

Things I've found worn and been replaced so far are;

- o/f/s Driveshaft inc CV joint

- Central lower engine mount

- Spring (Broken)

- Shockers (happened with spring)

Things to note;

- No play in n/s Driveshaft or joint

- All bolts to subframe are tight

- No play in any bushes

- Steering has no play

From making various notes about when the knock happens It's quite possibly pointing towards the diff but is there a way to check? Can't get the noise when the car is on the ramp. When one wheel is turned the other doesn't move or even attempt to but is that normal with an open diff?

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help.

post-48883-0-74610800-1386676957_thumb.j

My mk6 does this but only on a left turn, when it went for mot nothing was said and I have poked about down there to no avail, I will accept it until the wheel falls off, perhaps something in the rack,

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

My mates mk2.5 focus does this every time you full lock when parking etc, he got told by ford it's fine and just the rack coming to the end of how far it can go or something

The knock happens on any point of lock, not just when I reach full lock. Only happens in motion as well, if I roll forward with some steering lock on it will knock after a couple of feet. The slower I go the louder the knock, sounds very much like a fracture but can't find it =[

All I know is that mine does it too, the only way to replicate the noise is at standstill and mine does it to the left hand lock only if I jiggle the wheel it taps as I apply the small force it's something like slack being taken up, I'm lead to believe that many fiestas do it as I walked past a brand new one that did it the other day, the only thing on mine that has any movement at all and that's miniscule is the springs, although they are new and clearly unbroken.

That's the annoying thing for me, I can't replicate the noise at a standstill no matter what I do. I can only get it in motion, I will try and get a video of it for people to better understand.

As for springs you should be able to twist them slightly, they will rotate on the strut top bearings and should feel lovely and smooth.

Yeh, for the fact that I have seen or heard others doing it I shall leave it for now, good luck.

I have recorded a video of the knock happening, this is when I'm reversing off my drive. It does it every morning, hope it helps understand my knock ;]. Please note, sometimes it does the knock twice... at 2 different points of the reverse but in this video it's just 1 very noticable knock.

Thanks

I see what you mean now, another posy was talking about a similar thing, mine does this but not so loud and generally only when going forward to the left, it's done it on mine since I had the car, it's almost like something catches a heat shield or something, it's not a constant thing I have checked joints and nut tightness myself and to no avail, I can't feel it at speed or when driving above say 20 mpb, it passed the mot like it and I have seen other fiestas that do it, the only way I can make a slight noise is by jiggling the wheel when stopped to the left but there is no play in the steering at all, except for the fact that my tracking is out a miniscule amount, I think it's perhaps a combination of being a ford and a cheap steering rack that has a small tolerance on the one side.

• 6 years later...

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I'm facing the exact same problem...leaning towards a faulty rack.