Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 1 Focus Issues... Window/locking/engine Power...

miniblob

Hi guys, new focus owner here!!!

Got a W reg 2 litre as a cheap runabout and it inevitably needs a few bits doing!!!

Firstly, the drivers electric window doesn't work very often - and if it does go down, it won't normally come back up on it's own!!!

I've googled and seen how common this is - had the door apart and lubed it up a bit.

You can hear it making a noise when you hit the switch and sometimes it goes down fine, but then coming up is very slow, and normally sticks by halfway!!!

Kicking the bottom of the door by the motor does sometimes encourage it a bit further, but normally has to be helped up by hand!!!

I'm guessing it'll need a new regulator/motor assembley like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111220187003?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's 5 dr with front power windows only (one touch on drivers!).

Is there a guide for replacing this anywhere???

Any other suggestions???

Secondly, the central locking - seems to randomly click and fairly often it locks the car itself - normally while we are driving around. A few times now it has locked and will not unlock from the drivers door!!! Only opens from the passenger door or the remote!!!!!

Any ideas on this one???

Lastly (for now), the engine seems very down on power - especially for a 2 litre!!! Wasn't sure myself as I've been driving all sorts of different (and quicker) car recently, but a mechanic doing a tie bar for us said exactly the same - it does seem to be holding back and feels more like a 1.4!!!

So where would I start with this???

Any common points to check???

It feels like it drives ok, other than being down on power!!! No misfire, juddering, etc, idle is good, always starts first time...

Hope you guys can help us out with this!!!

Cheers,

Rob.

re the window:

check the voltage at the motor when you operate the switch, should get battery voltage...from memory its only a 2 pin motor...with regards to being slow when lifting the window, try disconnecting the glass see if that speeds it up, if so lube all the channels the glass runs in...but this could also be the motor starting to struggle.

re the locking:

check the wiring loom where it enters the drivers door, may have a break which is shorting out and triggering the locking, may also be the reason the window doesnt operate every time.

re loss of power

with no obvious faults, such as misfire, ideally you need to check for codes and run an emission check...failing that, check for breather blockages, vacuum leaks, filters etc...also if dont know history, may pay just to do an engine service anyway

Thanks for the reply!!!

I'll have a play with the loom for the door - I presume the cover/tube it's in just pops off or unscrews or something???

Am I just going to find a plug/connector in there???

I'll have to get my meter on that motor too - googling does indicate just a two pin connection, as it's just the fronts that are electric!!!

I'll have a poke around under the bonnet when I get a chance, see what I can find!!!

Just wondered if there were any common bits to check on these!?!?!?

Weird that it seems to drive fine, just really low on power!!!

The central locking doing it's own thing is usually down to water or corrosion in the locking module in the door, I used to get it on a MK1 also.

Plenty of WD40 worked for me.

Their is a guide somewhere here on changing the window regulator. Its a PDF I helped the chap make to make it easier, but its burried. I will check my PC see if I still have a copy of the PDF...

• 4 weeks later...

That's perfect, thanks mate!!!

Putting this off until next month when I can afford the replacement regulator!!!