Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

You can ignore the "NVM EEPROM LVL FAIL 001" warning. This error is only related to the internal memory of the instrument cluster (NVM = Non Volatile Memory). In the past I have seen this error before on several MK2.5 instrument clusters. My own MK2.5 instrument cluster had this same error but worked perfectly fine without any problems. After upgrading the instrument cluster firmware this error dissapeared. I suspect this error is caused by a firmware bug in some firmware versions.

A defective radio can be the cause of a drained battery. Normally the CAN-bus system will go in sleep mode about 30 minutes after locking the car. At this point the power to most of the CAN-bus modules will switch off. When the CAN-bus system is in sleep mode the display of the instrument cluster will also be switched of. A defective radio or Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module can prevent the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode. If this happens all modules are still using power which can completely drain the battery in 24/48 Hours.

If the radio seems to be dead it is best to unplug the radio to prevent above mentioned problems. Unfortunately it is a known problem for the Travelpilot FX to be defective. The blank screen / dead radio is a quite common problem.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 SquirrelX

SquirrelX

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: Z
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2.5
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

No issues with starting or running since the battery change.

And just to confirm that I understand you correctly, this eeprom failure is likely not connected then with the radio/nav part´s issue, is it? Or did you mean that´s also part of the instrument cluster? Hmm... the two should be somehow connected as the nav info is usually displayed at both places.

#18 SquirrelX

SquirrelX

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

You can ignore the "NVM EEPROM LVL FAIL 001" warning. This error is only related to the internal memory of the instrument cluster (NVM = Non Volatile Memory). In the past I have seen this error before on several MK2.5 instrument clusters. My own MK2.5 instrument cluster had this same error but worked perfectly fine without any problems. After upgrading the instrument cluster firmware this error dissapeared. I suspect this error is caused by a firmware bug in some firmware versions.

A defective radio can be the cause of a drained battery. Normally the CAN-bus system will go in sleep mode about 30 minutes after locking the car. At this point the power to most of the CAN-bus modules will switch off. When the CAN-bus system is in sleep mode the display of the instrument cluster will also be switched of. A defective radio or Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module can prevent the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode. If this happens all modules are still using power which can completely drain the battery in 24/48 Hours.

If the radio seems to be dead it is best to unplug the radio to prevent above mentioned problems. Unfortunately it is a known problem for the Travelpilot FX to be defective. The blank screen / dead radio is a quite common problem.

I suspected that the radio and battery might be connected, so I unplugged the radio cables when getting the new battery. It´s seems I´m in need of a new radio unit. Or might it be fixable?

A quick question relating to the instrument cluster: I´m not sure about this but I´ve been looking at everything with suspicion since the car hadn´t started, but is it normal for the clock/km standing to be displayed all the time? Maybe it´s just because it´s dark now both times I use the car during the day, but I wasn´t sure those numbers should be displayed when I´m approaching the car I haven´t used for like 9 hours.

#19 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 15,294 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

Its normally going to generate a D900 error code for CANBUS comms error, or at least thats what I have noticed (if it stays lit 24/7)

#20 SquirrelX

SquirrelX

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Its normally going to generate a D900 error code for CANBUS comms error, or at least thats what I have noticed (if it stays lit 24/7)

Thanks! I´ll check that though I don´t remember seeing that error.

#21 JW1982

JW1982

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

There are some companies which can fix the Travelpilot FX. Repair will cost approximately €150,- to €200,-. In Holland Ford also has a trading system for the Travelpilot FX. It is possible to change a defective Travelpilot FX for a completely remanufactured one for approximately €500,-. Normally a new travelpilot FX will cost about €1500,- to €2250,- (price depends on which type of travelpilot FX you need).

Normally the display of the instrument cluster must switch off 30 minutes after the car is locked. The display will light up when the car is unlocked. If the display stays on this means there is a CAN-bus problem which prevents the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode. A defective bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is known to be causing this problem but in theory all (defective) CAN-bus modules can prevent the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode.

#22 SquirrelX

SquirrelX

• Members via FB
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

There are some companies which can fix the Travelpilot FX. Repair will cost approximately €150,- to €200,-. In Holland Ford also has a trading system for the Travelpilot FX. It is possible to change a defective Travelpilot FX for a completely remanufactured one for approximately €500,-. Normally a new travelpilot FX will cost about €1500,- to €2250,- (price depends on which type of travelpilot FX you need).

Normally the display of the instrument cluster must switch off 30 minutes after the car is locked. The display will light up when the car is unlocked. If the display stays on this means there is a CAN-bus problem which prevents the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode. A defective bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is known to be causing this problem but in theory all (defective) CAN-bus modules can prevent the CAN-bus system from entering sleep mode.

Thanks! I actually live in the Netherlands so maybe I will just take the car to the local Ford dealer and mention this to them, especially because the new option seems a bit pricey .

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mk2.5, screen, blank, radio/nav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users