Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intercooler Pipe / Egr Un Resolved!

flukemaster

Hi all

Iv lost my old post regarding this! However thanks to all who commented, I have taken my Mondeo 130 tdci to a mechanic hoping he would say it was a split intercooler pipe causing the bad economy, lack of low end power and smoke.

however he said he cant find any splits in any pipes, and his plug in computer couldn't find anything wrong either.

Has anybody got any further suggestions? it still pulls like a train once it gets to 2000rpm however its gutless until then.

any feedback is much appreciated!

Mine is the same it hates hills I'm cleaning my inlet manifold out tomorrow hopefully this helps

Is yours a tddi

As above, clean the egr and manifold first, if no joy, blank the egr and see how that goes. (By the looks of you profile youve got a 2006 so more than likely its going to be a euro4 egr, this will mean if you blank the egr, sooner or later you will get the engine management light coming on, if it does, dont worry it doesnt affect running its just a warning light.)

Did the mechanic take the hoses off to check, as some splits can be impossible to see unless the engine is under load or you actualy take the hoses off and give them a bit of a twist.

Is it black, blue or white smoke?

Have you done any mods, such as larger intercooler or decat?

U can mostly tell if turbo hose gone by revving at idle all pipes should expand normally u will hear a hiss if ripped

Clean egr,map sensor,inlet manifold these easy things to rule out without spending any money

unfortunately today it took a turn for the worst, and is borderline impossible to even pull away in 1st, lots of black smoke. gear changes must be at a higher RPM or it will almost stall!

The car is completely unmodified 2006 130bhp td euro4, looking at the service record, the "turbo pipe" was changed last year, however im also suspicious that the car was used as a "school run" car, by the last owner, could this have clogged the EGR up?

fortunately, there is a small garage in my village that I hear has a mechanic who used to work for FORD, so im hoping this will resolve the issue.

when its fixed, I will let you know the outcome!

Mine is the same it hates hills I'm cleaning my inlet manifold out tomorrow hopefully this helps

Is yours a tddi

The TDDI was only made between 2000 and 2002, they were only 115ps (113hp) versions officially imported to the UK (90ps in europe/ ROI) - no 130ps versions were made,

So a 2006 130ps mk3 Mondeo could not be a TDDI

OP- no point in just cleaning out the EGR valve - the inlet manifold should be taken off and given a good clean as well

The boost hose between the EGR valve and intercooler (on a front-mounted EGR Mondeo) is the most likely to fail, as Steve has said - difficult to spot unless you take it off

The EGR on the euro4s can give even more problems and are prone to fail, you can blank the EGR with a solid, stainless steel plate, but it may put the EML (engine management light) on

A "school run" car can clog the EGR and the inlet manifold up, and coke up the turbine/ VNT vanes, which can eventually cause the VNT mech to sieze and the turbo actuator to fail

I cleaned my inlet manifold and decided to remove the top turbo pipe and bottom intercooler one and could not find any holes

Whilst I was cleaning though I found a massive hole on the top small one

So it's def worth taking off and cleaning that way u can actually see if it's just a hose

The TDDI was only made between 2000 and 2002, they were only 115ps (113hp) versions officially imported to the UK (90ps in europe/ ROI) - no 130ps versions were made,

So a 2006 130ps mk3 Mondeo could not be a TDDI

OP- no point in just cleaning out the EGR valve - the inlet manifold should be taken off and given a good clean as well

The boost hose between the EGR valve and intercooler (on a front-mounted EGR Mondeo) is the most likely to fail, as Steve has said - difficult to spot unless you take it off

The EGR on the euro4s can give even more problems and are prone to fail, you can blank the EGR with a solid, stainless steel plate, but it may put the EML (engine management light) on

A "school run" car can clog the EGR and the inlet manifold up, and coke up the turbine/ VNT vanes, which can eventually cause the VNT mech to sieze and the turbo actuator to fail

typically, whilst driving it to the garage today, it wasn't quite as bad as it was the day before, however its still in and I'm yet to hear from them. however what your saying about the EGR and manifold becoming clogged up does sound very logical. I'm hoping that this Is the only problem else my credit card is going to jump up and slap me in the face!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club