Photo
- - - - -

Installing Ipod 'dock' Connector In My '07 Fiesta...?

ipod dock cable usb power audio aux in aux lead mod

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peanutismint

peanutismint

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Name: Peanut
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4 Automatic
  • Year: 2007

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have a 2007 Fiesta Zetec 1.4. 

It has a pretty standard Ford Radio/CD player HiFi with an Aux input for connecting my iPhone/iPod, but what I'd rather have is a permanent 'dock connector' style cable (i.e. the 30-pin adapter that plugs into the bottom of an iPhone/iPod to provide both power and line-out audio) that I can install in the glove box so that I can just leave an old iPod in there on repeat for constant playback.

I'd like it to be in the glove box because whenever I use my iPod in-car through the Aux port, I have to connect the audio, then connect the power to a cigarette-lighter/USB adapter, and then pack it all away when I park for fear it will be attractive to thieves etc.  As well as hiding it away, I'd rather do it with the 30-pin line out connector because when I connect an iPod via the Aux-in port and charge it at the same time, I get a nasty ground loop/earth hum coming through the speakers (which varies when I rev the engine/change gears etc). 

So all in all, if I could end up with a single cable coming out in the glovebox somewhere which could both charge my iPod AND pass audio through to the radio (even if this disabled the external Aux-in port to do so) I would be well pleased. If I could still use the Aux-in port that would be even better. So basically I'm assuming I need to cannibalise a 30-pin connector and find a way to plug the audio pins into my stereo and also find a 5V line somewhere to charge the pod... unless some clever person has already manufactured a cable to do just this....??

Anybody know how I might go about this?? 

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Lawman

• Super Mod
  • 12,849 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

There is this option-

http://pages.ebay.co...id=110901446509

I use one in my Focus and the sound quality is spot on.

To use it from the glovebox you'd need a 12 volt socket extension or just plug it into a convenient socket and hide the ipod away anywhere you like.

The plug also allows control of track/folder skip and play/pause.

#3 peanutismint

peanutismint

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I worry that this is still going to be an attraction for would-be thieves as it's quite obvious (if you were to peer in for a good look...).

A friend added an iPod connector to his car via one of these cables from http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

I wonder if any of theirs would be compatible with mine? (I think it's a 6000CD head unit....)

#4 mike9008

mike9008

• Budding Enthusiast
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

I fitted this to my car.  Pretty easy to fit.  The Ipod cable feeds through into the glovebox, control on the steering wheel and also I get hands free calls from my phone via bluetooth.  Seems to work seamlessly..... might be a bit more than what you were looking for though?

http://www.amazon.co...parrot mki 9000

#5 peanutismint

peanutismint

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thanks mate, that looks good but yeah possibly more than I was looking for... I'll certainly consider it though! 

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ipod, dock, cable, usb, power, audio, aux in, aux, lead, mod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users