Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant Change Mk1.5

tonydb

Hi guys,

This is my second car really and im only just learning about general maintenance. The car itself was quite poorly looked after so im trying to get it kind of back to scratch. Now I believe the coolant hasn't been changed by the last owner who owned it for four years. So I reckon its due!

My question is what type of antifreeze should I use? a pre mix? and how much do I need?

I've watched a few videos and I reckon it looks easy enough to do I just unsure of what materials I should use as there is many different ones,ive also read of an engine flush I should use before I renew the coolant ?

Many thanks for any help ..much appreciated

2004 1.8 tddi diesel

• Like 1

Hi guys,

This is my second car really and im only just learning about general maintenance. The car itself was quite poorly looked after so im trying to get it kind of back to scratch. Now I believe the coolant hasn't been changed by the last owner who owned it for four years. So I reckon its due!

My question is what type of antifreeze should I use? a pre mix? and how much do I need?

I've watched a few videos and I reckon it looks easy enough to do I just unsure of what materials I should use as there is many different ones,ive also read of an engine flush I should use before I renew the coolant ?

Many thanks for any help ..much appreciated

2004 1.8 tddi diesel

Hi tony,

You can use holts radiator flush, it works very well but follow the instructions on the bottle to the letter as its powerful stuff,

My first car was much the same in need of replacement fluids,

I thought Id leave the radiator flush in there for three days while driving 42 miles each day :lol: the car had no problems but on the 3rd day coming home from work the temp sensor red lined,

I checked the radiator and it was empty, the flush had ate through the water pump seal causing me to lose all fluid,

Your supposed to leave it in for 15-20 minutes not 3 days like I did :lol:

Id replace with genuine coolant from the dealers mate,

Its going to last you 2-3 years so best to have there coolant in it,

Some dealers I.e. ford, mazda, Toyota supply it in different forms,

Toyota sell it in concentrate form,

Ford may sell it ready mixed,

If you do need to mix it yourself,

Check the manual for fluid capacity of the radiator,

Get a measuring jug from the pound shop,

Pour in the concentrate,

Followed by the matching mount of water,

I recommend purchasing some still water from tesco as its lime content will be less than the tap in your house or anybodys house ;)

To flush out the old,

Reach down and disconnect the bottom hose from the radiator,

Then flush it through with a hose.

If filling with ready mixed,

Fill the radiator,

Then squeeze the hoses to release air pockets,

Fill to top again,

Run the engine for literally 1 minute

Stop the engine,

Check radiator level again,

Top up resivour bottle to specified level.

Job done.

F you want advise on changing the power steering fluid I can advise on that too :)

And I recommend "wynnes engine flush for diesel" next time your changing the oil,

Wynnes now sell a diesel specific engine flush,

Has the timing belt been done at all?

Should be done at 85,000 miles or 10 years old

Which ever comes first.

The last owner had done nothing but change the alternator in four years. Were unsure what the owner before had done to it.Im just working my way through things to be honest, I will eventually get around to the oil and Im hoping there's some way to check if the belts been done or not?. Im just learning my way around an engine atm so any help would be greatly appreciated !

Its done 127K so im hoping the belt has been changed at some point. But to be honest I reckon im going to end up just having it done to be on the safe side ...What do you think?

Thanks

The last owner had done nothing but change the alternator in four years. Were unsure what the owner before had done to it.Im just working my way through things to be honest, I will eventually get around to the oil and Im hoping there's some way to check if the belts been done or not?. Im just learning my way around an engine atm so any help would be greatly appreciated !

Its done 127K so im hoping the belt has been changed at some point. But to be honest I reckon im going to end up just having it done to be on the safe side ...What do you think?

Thanks

No prob,

If ford done the belt, they would just stamp the book and that's it,

But if an independent mechanic done it,

Then check the underside of the bonnet or around the engine can cover for a marker hand writing saying somting like "TB102k"

Would mean the timing belt was done,

To change the power steering fluid,

Purchase two 1ltr bottles of DextronIII automatic transmission fluid from Halfords,

Get an empty 2ltr coke bottle take the return pipe off the reservoir and put it in the top of the bottle,

The return pipe is the higher pipe on the reservoir; if you look at the tank one pipe will be at a higher level to the other. Disconnect the higher one and insert to the bottle.

Tilt the reservoir so as not to spill the fluid from the open connection hole

got my mate to start the car and stop it over and over in short bursts, to jolt the power steering fluid through the system from the reservoir tank in to the bottle on the return.

as the reservoir got low I topped it up with fresh fluid keeping a minimum amount of the old fluid in the reservoir.

then reconnected the system as normal topped it up to the correct level, run the engine properly for 5minutes turning the steering wheel to fully left and fully right a couple of times,

then rechecked the level of the fluid.

when you have this done leave the contents of the old fluid in the bottle to stand for a few hours then have a look at it, you will see a separation in colour with all the gunk in the bottom of the bottle, you can then dispose of the old fluid in the correct environmentally friendly manor,

And also have minimum fluid spill in your engine bay.

Steering felt a lot freer after changing the fluid, although the car was a 1997 and i changed the fluid in 2009 so it was well due.http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cool.gif

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club