neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Name: Matteo
  • Ford Model: FOCUS 1.6 Benz
  • Year: 2009

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

My ford focus (2009 year) has a problem. When I turn on the car, after 10 minutes LCD display of instrument panel (between speedometer and tachometer) write "engine failure with an exclamation point. My mechanic told me that the problem is the electronics board of the instrument 
panel (Part Number 8U4T-1049-EJ.).  Indeed, when this message appears, if I slightly bend the electronic board or I give a light shot, it disappears. I am looking for eletric scheme of PCB boards and take a look with some instruments. Or if someone could help me...

Thank you in advance.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,038 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yeah this is becoming a more common issue. The issue tends to be poor soldering on the joints of the board. You probably are best off sending it off for repair, its a lot cheaper than a replacement as I havent found any schematics for them yet.

#3 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thank you jeebowhite. I have a electronic knowledge (I am professional electronic designer) but I don't know if unmount the board is a risk about mechanical parts and their movements (tachimeter or other).

I found a same part number used and full functionally. Can I use directly or is necessary remove programming , for example key association?? Is it easy for my Ford authorized mechanic ??

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Regards

#4 IINexusII

IINexusII

Feet Under The Table

• FOC Supporters
  • 379 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI Zetec Climate
  • Year: 2006

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

the guide below has some pictures of the instrument cluster taken apart, maybe you can get some ideas on how to repair from it

http://www.fordowner...o-illumination/

#5 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 15,217 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

The cluster is paired to the cars ECU and forms part of the immobiliser system.
If the cluster is swapped then it needs pairing to the ECU for the car to run.

#6 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

Thank you ! I'll try to unmount and clean. I'll check component's, connector and weld.

Regards !!

#7 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I found myself an used panel with same part number and model. My mechanic tried to install it but told to me that car/panel fails key identification...I do not have a lot of confidence...

#8 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,038 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Thats because the instrument cluster needs to be paired up with the ECU and immobiliser systems. Its a critical part of the PATS system. If you dont put fuel in your car it wont go - simple. Its the same here. If you dont have an ECU, Immobiliser, and Instrument Cluster all paired to each other, your not going anywhere.

#9 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Thank you jeebowhite. Whit your opinion, is impossible solve this problem?? Do you know someone that solved this problem with used pannel and not only for luky chance?? Online there are many panels used and I suppose is critical buy them. At this point, only resolution is buy a new pannel ??

Thank you in advance and I do apologize for my english.

Regards

#10 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,038 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hi Matteo, Dont worry your english is very good! Better than some people I work with ;)

With regards the instrument panel, it needs to be paired to the car by the Ford IDS utility. Its something that a dealer, or an independant operator with this tool should be able to resolve for you. Unfortunately its not something you can do without it!

#11 JW1982

JW1982

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

A used Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster can easily be programmed to a car. First the ignition keys needs to be programmed to the new (used) instrument cluster. When the keys are correctly programmed the car will still not start because the instrument cluster and PCM are not paired. To solve this the instrument cluster and PCM needs to be paired (PATS initialization). After these actions are performed the car should start normally.

Reprogramming of the ignition keys and pairing of the instrument cluster and PCM can only be done with a suitable Ford specific diagnostic system which is able to reprogram the Ford PATS system (for Example the Ford IDS system or the Ford specific FoCom system). Depending on which diagnostic system is used you will also need a OUTCODE/INCODE generator to get access to the PATS system of the vehicle.

#12 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thank you jeebowhite and jw1982 :) .

My mechanic is ford authorized so I suppose he has everything to program and generate a correct paired.

I am not mechanic but I suppose that it is not impossible...Ford Mechanic told to me that Instrument Cluster is paired, because it is powered on, but He tried "many hours" (as he told me) to paired key. Car does'nt power on...

I am going to him and ask detailed informations and I'ii write here :-)

Thank you very much for your precious support

#13 JW1982

JW1982

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Name: Wilco
  • Ford Model: Focus MK2 First Edition
  • Year: 2005

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Note that the new (used) instrument cluster must also be configured correctly for your car. The configuration of the instrument cluster must match your cars options. An instrument cluster of a keyless start car has the PATS system turned of in the instrument cluster because keyless cars have a seperate keyless module with integrated PATS functionality. An instrument cluster which has the PATS system switched off will have problems with programming the keys and performing the pairing procedure.

So it is important to make sure the instrument cluster is configured correctly before reprogramming the ignition keys (a minimum of 2 programmed keys is required)and performing the pairing procedure.

After I succesfully programmed a (used) MK2.5 instrument cluster into my MK2 last year I reprogrammed several MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters without any problems. I use an ELM327 interface with the free ELMconfig software to configure the instrument cluster correctly. For PATS programming I have a FoCom interface and software. With these 2 interfaces I am able to change/reprogram almost all modules that are fitted into a Focus MK2/MK2.5.

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,038 posts
Contributor

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

It sounds like he may have confused Pairing the cluster with the car, and plugging the cluster into the car.

#15 neutrino

neutrino

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

I suppose that my mechanic goes in to confusion !!! I spoke with him and he told me that he was not able to erase past keys. He spent 9 of 10 attempts available (without asking to me). I stopped him just in time. I have the last chance. 

He told me that took same procedures used for install new panel (2 hours). Reading answers in this forum, I'm supposing he doesn't know right way. I know why Italy is falling down...I am almost close to try myself :-), I am sure I'll make better than my mechanics...

Forum members and moderators here are hundreds times competent that "professionals"...professionals and competence are here, made from people with great passion..

The last chance before buy new part (€680), is retake every weld on my old pannel...

I give to everyone helped me a very big thanks, for patients, competence and advice.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users