Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Panel Board

neutrino

My ford focus (2009 year) has a problem. When I turn on the car, after 10 minutes LCD display of instrument panel (between speedometer and tachometer) write "engine failure with an exclamation point. My mechanic told me that the problem is the electronics board of the instrument

panel (Part Number 8U4T-1049-EJ.). Indeed, when this message appears, if I slightly bend the electronic board or I give a light shot, it disappears. I am looking for eletric scheme of PCB boards and take a look with some instruments. Or if someone could help me...

Thank you in advance.

Yeah this is becoming a more common issue. The issue tends to be poor soldering on the joints of the board. You probably are best off sending it off for repair, its a lot cheaper than a replacement as I havent found any schematics for them yet.

Thank you jeebowhite. I have a electronic knowledge (I am professional electronic designer) but I don't know if unmount the board is a risk about mechanical parts and their movements (tachimeter or other).

I found a same part number used and full functionally. Can I use directly or is necessary remove programming , for example key association?? Is it easy for my Ford authorized mechanic ??

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Regards

The cluster is paired to the cars ECU and forms part of the immobiliser system.

If the cluster is swapped then it needs pairing to the ECU for the car to run.

Thank you ! I'll try to unmount and clean. I'll check component's, connector and weld.

Regards !!

I found myself an used panel with same part number and model. My mechanic tried to install it but told to me that car/panel fails key identification...I do not have a lot of confidence...

Thats because the instrument cluster needs to be paired up with the ECU and immobiliser systems. Its a critical part of the PATS system. If you dont put fuel in your car it wont go - simple. Its the same here. If you dont have an ECU, Immobiliser, and Instrument Cluster all paired to each other, your not going anywhere.

Thank you jeebowhite. Whit your opinion, is impossible solve this problem?? Do you know someone that solved this problem with used pannel and not only for luky chance?? Online there are many panels used and I suppose is critical buy them. At this point, only resolution is buy a new pannel ??

Thank you in advance and I do apologize for my english.

Regards

Hi Matteo, Dont worry your english is very good! Better than some people I work with ;)

With regards the instrument panel, it needs to be paired to the car by the Ford IDS utility. Its something that a dealer, or an independant operator with this tool should be able to resolve for you. Unfortunately its not something you can do without it!

• Like 1

A used Focus MK2/MK2.5 instrument cluster can easily be programmed to a car. First the ignition keys needs to be programmed to the new (used) instrument cluster. When the keys are correctly programmed the car will still not start because the instrument cluster and PCM are not paired. To solve this the instrument cluster and PCM needs to be paired (PATS initialization). After these actions are performed the car should start normally.

Reprogramming of the ignition keys and pairing of the instrument cluster and PCM can only be done with a suitable Ford specific diagnostic system which is able to reprogram the Ford PATS system (for Example the Ford IDS system or the Ford specific FoCom system). Depending on which diagnostic system is used you will also need a OUTCODE/INCODE generator to get access to the PATS system of the vehicle.

• Like 1

Thank you jeebowhite and jw1982 :) .

My mechanic is ford authorized so I suppose he has everything to program and generate a correct paired.

I am not mechanic but I suppose that it is not impossible...Ford Mechanic told to me that Instrument Cluster is paired, because it is powered on, but He tried "many hours" (as he told me) to paired key. Car does'nt power on...

I am going to him and ask detailed informations and I'ii write here :-)

Thank you very much for your precious support

Note that the new (used) instrument cluster must also be configured correctly for your car. The configuration of the instrument cluster must match your cars options. An instrument cluster of a keyless start car has the PATS system turned of in the instrument cluster because keyless cars have a seperate keyless module with integrated PATS functionality. An instrument cluster which has the PATS system switched off will have problems with programming the keys and performing the pairing procedure.

So it is important to make sure the instrument cluster is configured correctly before reprogramming the ignition keys (a minimum of 2 programmed keys is required)and performing the pairing procedure.

After I succesfully programmed a (used) MK2.5 instrument cluster into my MK2 last year I reprogrammed several MK2/MK2.5 instrument clusters without any problems. I use an ELM327 interface with the free ELMconfig software to configure the instrument cluster correctly. For PATS programming I have a FoCom interface and software. With these 2 interfaces I am able to change/reprogram almost all modules that are fitted into a Focus MK2/MK2.5.

It sounds like he may have confused Pairing the cluster with the car, and plugging the cluster into the car.

I suppose that my mechanic goes in to confusion !!! I spoke with him and he told me that he was not able to erase past keys. He spent 9 of 10 attempts available (without asking to me). I stopped him just in time. I have the last chance.

He told me that took same procedures used for install new panel (2 hours). Reading answers in this forum, I'm supposing he doesn't know right way. I know why Italy is falling down...I am almost close to try myself :-), I am sure I'll make better than my mechanics...

Forum members and moderators here are hundreds times competent that "professionals"...professionals and competence are here, made from people with great passion..

The last chance before buy new part (€680), is retake every weld on my old pannel...

I give to everyone helped me a very big thanks, for patients, competence and advice.

Its always worth a try redoing the old board with new solder joints, you have nothing to lose!

Yes, I am unmounting pannel, but I don't know how remove pointers of instruments. It is necessary to acces on bottom side of PCB (to solder connector pins). I tried to pull, but nothing...I suppose it is not a good idea...I found in other topics other models and procedures, but nothing fitted to my model..

Could anyone help me?

I FOUND !!! Is necessary pull pointer from base. I used 2 knife as shown in this picure. I rotated knife in opposite spin together. Is verey important take a mark on pointer direction and position.

My english is orrible and I am very happy if someone could take some corrections.

http://imageshack.com/a/img850/5601/p0d9.jpg

Matteo, your english is fine dont worry, it all makes sense :)

Just come back and tell us you fixed it and we will all be happy :)

even happier still if you do a step by step on what you did, and if you do fix it, feel free to share the step by step :p might save a lot of people a lot of money and we might all owe you a beer at some point :p

I am very happy to give help to someone. When I met this group, many users as you gave to me help. So at the same way, I am very happy to do the same things.

I'll back soon with step by step photo :-)

Regards

p.s. If i'll resolve this problem, I'll owe a beer at some point to you and all forum users :-)

I look forward to hearing success!

I'm sure you speak our language better than we could speak yours :d

Thats guaranteed for me! and to be fair, you speak our language better than half the teenagers in our society! :p

GO !!!! I resolved !!!! Panel works fine !!!!! These are steps that I did:

DISCLAIMER: I do not recommend people to do this. I am not responsible for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. What follows is done by professionals with professional instruments, according to the state of the art.

1. Unmount Panel (until electronic board).

2. Resolder every component, connector, even microcontroller (with cold air welder). I did this with professional welder, temperature stabilized. I don't touch led solder, because is very easy damage it not instantaneously. Even microcontroller is a delicate point.

3. Clean surface of board.

I read many article of people that use chemicals to clean board. This is a very delicate step, because electronic board is covered by "conformal coating", that is a surface protection made from manufacturer at the end of product production. It's used for avoid that humidity pierce into board, components and connections. Its avoid even malfunctioning caused by humidity and condense.

I don't advise clean board, but if strictly necessary is correct using a not aggressive materials with brush.

I tried a well brand product know as contact cleaner in a corner of board. Conformal coating is removed totally. You can see this looking backlight. This could cause problems after. In general contact cleaner is a good thing, but not in this case (this is my opinion).

With this steps my problem is resolved and panel works fine.

Very well done! you just saved yourself a shed load of money!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club