Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Got A 1.7 Puma

Seg10538

Hi hope you guys will keep me right over the coming months bought a Puma on a bit of a whim , was looking for a second car mainly a 4x4 ! Have read lots of horror stories since but have already had the timing belt done as it has no history, fairly impressed so far though

Welcome shaun. The Yamaha derived engine is brilliant and shouldn't let you down. The only issues with the Puma are the normal rust underneath and around the rear arches, Stuck Heater Control Valves and suspension bushes that need replacing. Apart from that they are a quick reliable little car that are really fun to drive. Have fun

Welcome shaun. The Yamaha derived engine is brilliant and shouldn't let you down. The only issues with the Puma are the normal rust underneath and around the rear arches, Stuck Heater Control Valves and suspension bushes that need replacing. Apart from that they are a quick reliable little car that are really fun to drive. Have fun

Thanks for the welcome everyone ! Yeah mines got the bubbling rear arches, will get done at some point, for now I'm happy to spend money on mechanical stuff to keep it reliable , I've read about a grinding noise coming from the front (ABS ?) I've got that noise occasionally at slow speed when turning left, parking etc should I be concerned ?

could be either CV or brakes. Is there any damage to the brake disk at all?

I took it to a mate of mine just after I got it to give it a quick once over, it had just gone through a MoT after having failed on a front suspension arm drivers side , this had been replaced but yes my mechanic mate asked if there had been an advisory on the same side disc , could that be the problem ? Really want to get this car sound mechanically without busting the bank account ! Just followed some advice about recoding the key which seems to work better . Btw it's a Y with only 84k on and it's done hardly any miles in the last 3 years alas no service book

It could be a number of things, anything from dust in the brake pad, to a bit of vibration. As far as a problem with suspension and cv joints.

Start off by looking at the disks, check for any scratches, or damage. Also check the depth of the brake pad make sure there is enough.

Is it only when you turn the wheel to one side?

Yes it's at very low speed when applying almost lock for slow turning mainly left manoeuvres ?

sounds like its probably the CV joint, I had a similar issue when I bought my car.

about £40-£60 I think at a guess?

That's reassuring, thanks James it's going in on Wednesday for a full service told my mate to check everything , ages since I've been excited by a car !

that would be parts only I expect if that is indeed what it is, I hope that it is for you, as a cheap fix is the best fix!

my mums got 1 of these,she's still driving at the age of 81 :)

it goes like stink.

81? surely she has to be the fastest 81 year old mum on the roads right about now!

few years back she used to own a toyota mr2 mk1,with a funky body kit,slammed and BIG wheels. :lol:

thing was a bullet from a gun. :rolleyes: i remember driving it,wheels were turned waiting to go into a side road,slipped the clutch and shot forward,5hit meself.