Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2007 1.6 Zetec Auto - Rattling Noise When Starting Up

Raz123

Hi all, need advice on something strange which started from yesterday. When I start up the engine there is a rattling noise which stays there for a few min but then goes away when I drive it. Not sure what it is. Could it be because of oil being low? It's like a tap tap tap noise but when I rev the engine it goes? Hopefully it's nothing serious..

It's more than likely the fact that the oil is all sat at the bottom of the engine, the zetec se is notorious for it my 1.4 does the same and stops soon enough once warmed up its fine, almost all other in have heard do the same, you only worry when it goes Knock knock knock.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Ford OC mobile app

Hi Nathan, thanks for replying back. If I top up or service the car at Ford which I was thinking of doing would that fix the issue? Or any other suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Ford OC mobile app

It might some people seem to think that an oil change stops it, in my experience it doesn't make any difference, mine stops doing it if I take it for a longer drive upwards of 15 miles for the next start, I think it's more the fact that on a short journey the oil doesn't get warm enough to completely cover the engine right up top, when was your last oil change.

I bought the car in August 2013 and the dealer said he topped up the oil but I have a funny feeling he didn't. One of my colleague is going to check the oil for me during lunch so I'll let you know how much oil I have in it and if it requires a top up. What oil can I use for a quick top up?

Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 A1 (the one with the ford logo on it) or Shell AF HX7 5w-30. id just give it a oil and filter change if you're not sure of the last service date

Thanks guys, will have a look with my colleague during lunch and will update. I was looking at a full service end of the month anyway so hopefully that should help as well

If you haven't or aren't sure how to check the oil yourself:

Pull the yellow handled dipstick out and wipe clean, then replace it and remove it again this time look at the reading if it's between the 2 marks it's okay if it's nearer the top mark its perfect, and only ever check the oil after the engine is cold or been standing for atleast 20 -30 minutes to give the oil a chance to return to the oil pan, and obviously only do it on a flatish surface.

Sent from my LT30p using Ford OC mobile app

Are yo sure the rattling noise is coming from the engine? if you look under your car there's various protection plates that can become loose or snap away from there bolts. its also worth checking your exhaust is fully secure.

Perry

Hi Perry, don't think it's any lose parts as the noise did not appear this afternoon again. Just drove home and that noise from the morning wasn't there. Will book my service this weekend hopefully it needs some TLC as i don't know if the previous owner or dealer actually looked after it as well as I will. Will defo mention it to them during the service.

The noise will be more evident when the car has been left to get cold, if high quality oil is used it will cling to the top of the engine more and so won't tap and rattle away as much or at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, Happy New Year

on a different note what size alloys would you recommend.

1- 6.5x16'' St alloys

Or

2- 8.0x18'' St alloys?

I have a standard ford focus Zetec 1.6 with standard alloys not sure what size they are..:(

16inch alloys as standard 18 inch requires a steering limiter to be fitted also not just pop the alloys on the noise is injector slap happens when cold or as the oil drops to the sump nothing to worry about as above oil changes i dont think make a diffetence but its worth changing the oil anyway

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club