Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Diesel Engine Swap

john-paul

Hi ive just bought a 2000 w reg focus tddi with a nackered fuel pump. I have a 1.8 tddi fiesta 2000 x reg which has a perfect engine. Both have imobalisers. Is it as straight forward as sticking the fiesta engine and ecu into the focus or is there more to it then that? Thanks for your help

The ECU has to match the fuel pump unless a new/ uncoded one is fitted (once the pump is connected to an ECU it codes itself and cannot be used on another ECU untill it is factory reset ) the injectors are mechanical and are not coded

so the ECU has to match the (main vp30) fuel pump

The ECU / BCU must match the key/s, ignition and locks - so if you swapped the engine you would also need the ECU, BCU, key/s, ignition barrel and locks from the engine it came with

BCU/M = body control unit or module

The ECU (engine control unit) can be called other things like ECM engine control module or drivetrain control module etc - i just call it the ECU

Thanks for your reply. My fiesta is complete so i can use the ecu off it. Is there anyway to recede it so i can use the focus keys and barrels?

Thanks for your reply. My fiesta is complete so i can use the ecu off it. Is there anyway to recede it so i can use the focus keys and barrels?

Do you mean recode?

Probably, but it may be expensive and/or a dealer only job

A point worth mentioning is it is only the electrical part of the vp30 pump that is coded to the ECU, it can be removed from the mechanical part, so you could just replace the mechanical part of the pump (keeping the matched electrical part) the wires are all black between the 2 parts so you need to cut them at different lengths to tell which is which

Brilliant thanks for your reply. Yes i ment recode lol. So i could still stick my whole engine in it and just use the focus eletrics off the fuel pump? Would that then mean i would keep the focus ecu ect? Thanks for your help

Brilliant thanks for your reply. Yes i ment recode lol. So i could still stick my whole engine in it and just use the focus eletrics off the fuel pump? Would that then mean i would keep the focus ecu ect? Thanks for your help

Yes exactly, all the (coded) elecrical parts would be from the Focus, only the mechanical parts would be different, if the engines are identical (same turbo/ MAF/ MAP etc) you should have no problem (the MAF/MAP and crank position sensors are uncoded, and are interchangable/ if they are identical to the Fiesta,)

Excellent I've got both cars complete so any bits that are different i could swap over anyway. That does seem a much easier way of doing it. Thank you ever so much for your help

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club