Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Wear. Plus What Tyres Will Have The Greatest Mileage

stu412t

Hi every one.

My left hand tyres are both wearing out faster than the right ones. I spoke to Ford they say it's natural as is heavy and you turn right more than left (round abouts) ??????? So I need two new tyres I had some really cheap ones and they where Crap in anything but perfect conditions. I have a Ford mondeo 2010 2.0 ecoboost. What tyres would you all suggest.

I tent to wear the fronts out faster than the backs, the front-left gets a fair old hammering, with roundabouts and "shellgrip" (the abrasive tarmac they often put down on some junctions, roundabouts - chews tyres up) - if i have a tyre i want to wear out quickly (to get the last bit of wear out of it) - i put it on the front-left

Incorrect (meaning too low) pressures can also wear tyres out quicker, as well as running with a heavy load (like a mk4 4-up!) as well as "spirited" driving - there are people on this forum that could wear out a set of tyres in a day (not me of course :innocent: )

then there is the tracking

I personally like Goodyears - tyres are a compromise and "sticky" tyres do not seem to last long and long-lasting tyres do not give much grip (i have a tyre i cant wear out - gives as much grip as a lump of concrete) there ae exellent tyre comparison sites

What size tyres to you run and what part of the tread(s) are wearing

235/45/18. The wear is very even over the whole width of the tyre.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Ford OC mobile app

I personally would avoid Goodyears.

I've had Goodyear Efficientgrips and Eagle F1 Assy 2's on my Mondeo.

The Efficientgrips had decent grip but the sidewalls were too soft which made the car feel disconnected. They also caused steering vibrations which I never got to the end of. They also wore out at an astonishing rate!

I had 4 Eagle F1 Assy 2's fitted and 2 of them went out of shape after just 3000miles. The tyre shop insisted this was something I have done and wouldn't replace them!

They also had very soft sidewalls and made the car feel very 'floaty'. But they did last much longer than the Efficientgrips!

I still have 2 on the rear, one of them is out of shape but has been balenced out so I feel no vibrations.

I would reccomend Dunlop Sport maxx RT's or contisportcontact 3's.

They last well, are quiet and offer good all round performance.

I always pair up tyres on axles. Never just replace one tyre on an axle.

If I have an irrapairable puncture on the front of my car I would replace both front tyres.

Might be worth getting 4 new tyres and rotating them every 3000miles (Which I believe the manual reccomends if you have a look).

• Like 1

The side wall comments are very true for my current tyres. They constantly look flat and do offer a floaty ride. Do the dunlops or contys have good side walls? ?

Ive tried Dunlops (very good, but expensive, and not as good as the Goodyears) Michelins (noisy and went out of balance quickly, wore out fairly and the grip was not that good - they were made for good MPG) Continentals - avarage tyres, not as grippy as the Goodyears and various other tyres, i found the Goodyears to be the best of the tyres ive tried

Ive owned scores of cars and driven many 100,000s of miles

I use Vredsteins in the winter

I can't undersstand how Bailes has found problems with the Goodyears -they come highly recommended and have won a lot of group tests - there must be something else wrong other than the tyres - tyre pressures?

Tyre pressures are critical and if you get them wrong it can ruin the ride/ handling - if you run the fronts too soft it can deflect the sidewalls with the weight of the engine- i think i recall a problem with the mk4 in this area - lerhaps it is particularily tyre- sensitive

I'm anal about my Tyre pressures and after a bit of asking about and googling Goodyears are very bad for going out of shape!

Also noticed since my Fathers F30 320d has had it's Pirrelli P7's replaced with Goodyear Eagle NCT5s there is a bit of vibration around 50mph!

What you think of nokian tyres.

I tent to wear the fronts out faster than the backs,

I think rears tend to last about twice as long as the fronts, or possibly more.

tyres are a compromise and "sticky" tyres do not seem to last long and long-lasting tyres do not give much grip

That probably can't be said often enough - if you don't know what compromise is the one most acceptable to the person asking the question, it is difficult to give a decent answer (and usually the answer amounts to 'you should use the ones I've got').

@Bailes

I personally would avoid Goodyears.

@FOCA

I personally like Goodyears

Strange how different people's experience can be so different, even on the same cars. Goodyears get some good reviews, but formal reviews don't usually run the tyres for long enough to find out whether they go out of shape.

I would reccomend Dunlop Sport maxx RT's or contisportcontact 3's.

For most people, the more recent Conti Sport Contact 5s will be superior to the SC3s. But then, it does depend on what you want from a tyre...

The sport maxx RTs are not good on wear. The Nokian Z-Line would be better on wear and the Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115 would be better still (but remember that comment about about harder tyres gripping less). The Z lines are easier to argue for in some size where they are cheaper than some of the other high performance tyres, but in this size they really are not all that cheap...very not cheap. They are a certainly a decent tyre, but are they really a good buy? Depends what you compare them against, and what you priorities are, I suppose. And if someone has a 'special' on them.

Uniroyal RainSport 3s (not the 2s) are getting some nice comments, but we are still very firmly in the 'not cheap' area of the market.

Cheapest thing(s) that might possibly work

Kumho Ecsta KU31

Kumho Ecsta Le Sport KU39 (probably the better of these kumhos, probably, and cheap-ish, and decent-ish all rounders, but not challenging the absolute grippiest and way more expensive tyres)

Nexen N'fera SU1 (unknown, but might be good)

Mid range

Hankook ventus prime 2 K115

Marangoni Mythos

Hankook V12 Evo K110 (the sportier, but less well wearing Hankook - from what you say, you might prefer the K115 for the wear characteristic)

Really quite expensive

Vrederstein Ultrac sessanta More show than go? there are probably better Vredersteins, but maybe not in this size.

Uniroyal rainsport 3 New, and getting good comments - the older RS2 is only worth considering if at a discount to the more recent RS3

Conti SC5 Not the best on wear, otherwise good (except for Bailes!); priced a bit high and not good on snow

Michelin primacy 3 (wear well, are economical and not too bad for grip - these would be the answer, except for the price!)

Michelin PS3 (these would be good-ish, if they weren't so effin expensive - not as good on wear as the mich Primacy 3 and way, way more expensive than the k110s)

Michelin Pilot super sport Reasonable on wear, mostly good on grip, but the price!

Mostly, you can't say that one brand of tyre is good, another is bad without knowing the requirements. Most of the big manufacturers have a range of different tyre types, and choosing an unsuitable type can be as bad as choosing the wrong brand. (That said, cheap Chinese cr1p is just that, cr1p, and Michelins are always expensive...but, if they wear really well, just maybe its worth it, if you don't get a puncture and they don't get out of shape or, perhaps, if someone has an offer on them...oh, and on the rear, they have a better chance of lasting well than on the front, and so you have a better chance of getting value out of them...but you have to accept that you won't get the absolute grip of the better 'softer rubber' sports tyres).

Edited by BOF

Dunlop Sportmaxx RT not good on wear?

The set I had on the car when I bought it lasted 40k!

Didn't know that this would spark such response. I have a mondeo titanium x sport. 235/45/28. This is quit a heavy car so if the side walls cannot take the weight then they always look flat. Line the tyres I have in right now. I need a tyre with really strong side wall protectors. I was going to go for the nokian winter tyre. They are supposed to be great in winter and do not drop off to much in the summer and wear is good. But this info is coming soon a Web site. So I would like some advice from some one who had used nokian before.

Dunlop Sportmaxx RT not good on wear?

The set I had on the car when I bought it lasted 40k!

My car (mostly while owned by someone else) managed at least 44k on Conti Sport Contact 3s, and they do wear out quickly. (The supplying dealer refurbed the alloys, and seems to have shuffled the wheels/tyres around, so it might have been as much as 50 k, and shuffling tyres does accelerate wear.)

My previous car managed 95 k on rather narrower Michelin HXs...but then they are Michelins, and they do wear fairly well (but cost a small fortune, depending on size). Well, except anything with 'Sport' in the name, they aren't as long lived, but are grippier, that being the necessary trade-off in tyre selection.

This is quit a heavy car so if the side walls cannot take the weight then they always look flat.

Are you really sure that you have the correct tyre pressures? Don't rely on the pressure gauge on fuel station air lines as they can be quite bad.

I was going to go for the nokian winter tyre. They are supposed to be great in winter and do not drop off to much in the summer and wear is good. But this info is coming soon a Web site. So I would like some advice from some one who had used nokian before.

I've seen Nokian tyres get good reviews in 'Auto Express' (not that AE necessarily does the best product reviews, but it is at least something). Probably you mean something like WR A3s (as opposed to, say, the Z Lines), which are certainly decent winter tyres. They are rated better on wear than the sportier of the summer tyres (eg, SC5s), but those will be the ratings of people who use them in the winter. How they'll do in warmer conditions, I don't know. And usually 'V' rated, where the summer tyres that you'd be likely to select would probably be 'W' or higher, if that's of any significance to you.

Edited by BOF

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to buy the nokian tyres. Just need to find a place that sells them and fits them cheap.