Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 Starts Vibrating At 60Mph

Boban32

Hi, it s regarding a funny shake the car starts to have at around 60mph while accelerating. Had a few mecanics looking at it but no one seems to know what it is. I had the wheels checked and all the bushes seem to be fine.one of the mecanics got me to change some stabiliser bush on the engine but that did not solve it.

The car has about 185000 miles and i m pretty sure it has the original clutch kit, but it seems to work fine.

Please help as i allso need to drive the car back to the uk, about 1600 miles

As Clive says plus, did they check the wheel balancing?

At that speed it would normally suggest rear wheel balancing but it depends on if the whole car is shaking or if it is just through the steering wheel. The latter suggest front wheel balancing.

If they have been checked already then most likely thing is the engine and/or gearbox mounts as suggested.

Yes the wheel balancing has been checked and there fine, as for the engine mounts do you think there could be the two top mounts as i allready changed the bottom back one.

Allso the shake does not come through the stering wheel, I feel it througr the accelaration pedal and the seat underneath me.

I allso changed an off side drive shaft some 6 months ago as the car was making some strange noise when starting to drive, do you think it could be from there? One of the driveshafts?

I was going to suggest driveshaft, bearings, hubs.

Is one of your tyres misshapen?

DMF could be an issue,

Does it vibrate at 60 in any gear or only 1 gear?

Silly idea... There's nothing loose underneath the car is there?? Engine tray, heat shields etc, that may be flapping about and hitting the underneath of the car?

My money is on the DMF if it has never been changed in 185000 miles and the vibration comes through the seat and accelerator pedal, NVH can also be more than one thing/ things compounding each other

• Like 1

The tires are new, and when the shake happens if I press the clutch the car goes smooth which in my mind removes the wheels from the discussion, and also it does it regardless of the gear it is in

And what exactly is the DMF??

Dual Mass Flywheel. If confirmed new clutch and new DMF or a cheaper option would be a new clutch and standard non DMF. I believe kits are available.

The mechanics I have seen excluded the DMF as they said that it usually makes a banging noise when the engine is idling

The mechanics I have seen excluded the DMF as they said that it usually makes a banging noise when the engine is idling

It depends how bad it is - it can make a ringing noise and other noises, it can start quite subtle, and get worse as it gradually deteriorates - mine took a year to go - i replaced it with an SMF

How bad is your vibration at 60? - who knows - you may be fine for your 1600 mile trip - what is the mechanics' opinion about that?

Well the vibration seems to be worst at 60 when accelerating, and it slowly dies away at around 90mph, at 100mph it s perfectly smooth.

However if I accelerate constantly, eg cruise control, most of the time it does it at any high speed

I'd guess that you can't hear anything after 70mph because of the Police sirens?

Put ur car on axle stands an drive it see is the driveshaft bent had this problem before also check wheel bearing for play

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed,there seems to be some movement in the driveshaft I have replaced, the mecanis said.

Had successfully done my trip, and the shake seems to get worse.

I ll change the driveshaft and let you know

Thanks everyone for your help

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club