Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did I Get A Good Deal Or Not??

AlexJ1992

2 months ago i traded in my 2005 vauxhall corsa 1.2 sxi after going to a nearby dealer. I originally went to view a 2007 corsa as my older model was worn out and had problems which would have cost more than what the car was worth to fix. While viewing the newer corsa I instantly saw the Ford focus in a corner with no price in view. It's a Ford focus tdci 1.6 titanium model. Originally I was only looking to spend £3000. Before I tell you what I paid let me run through what I got.. the vehicle has 54,000 miles on the clock, a standard Sony sterio without the sat nav, standard seats (non leather) so I'm guessing it's the standard model . It's a 2008 model and ac works etc. No problems with the car that I can see and it drives smoothly. (£20 a year tax helps ;)) I got £1500 for my car when I traded it in. So all together I paid £6500 for the car. What do you think?? Cheers in advance

08 titanium, I think you might have paid a tad too much, has it got full service history?

It has got a full service history , 12 months mot and tax included, immaculate condition

I would have thought nearer £5000 to be truthful.

Mileage is average for year, saying that the Titanium does have most of the toys.

At the end of the day if you're happy with the car then that's whats important.

I am very happy with the car, a big step up from my Vauxhall corsa!! Insurance is steep though as I'm 21

I think you did pay a tad too much, but then as Clive said, if your happy... then that is the main thing!

Just make sure the tiniest niggle, you take the car back and demand there resolution. They owe you 6 months warranty as standard, so to get the best out of what you paid for!

I have noticed that when the car is driving at a steady 30mph the car goes seem quite loud, but this is probably because it's a diesel and I came from a petrol, also when I switch the ignition off the cooling fan is quite loud also, is this all normal??? Thanks in advance

The petrol vs diesel argument probably would explain the noise, and the fan does sound quite noisy after you have stopped the engine. I would say though it shouldnt be on too often, so if it does get loud and regular then you might need to check the cooling system...

Where abouts in the country are you from? That price sounds more realistic for the south IMO.

The engine will be noisy this time of year, Diesels sound like tractors in the cold. If the fan is running it might just need a good blast as I think they started to fit DPFs around 2008. Being second hand you don't know what sort of journeys it has done and how much stop start shunting around it has done with the dealer.

Have you taken it any distance yet?

probably payed a little more than book price but if your happy with it dont worry, i wanted a diesel focus but all the ones around here were overpriced imo and with the mileage i do i couldnt warrant paying it got a perv instead

Diesel cars cost more new, cost a bit more for parts and hold resale value too but are cheaper for tax, get better mileage and in my opinion are more fun to drive than a petrol model due to the turbo and more suited to motorways in general.

Not so much fun to drive around town or for stop/start driving due to heavier clutches and turbo lag but more than make up for it when the roads are clear.

Welcome Alex. There will always be a better deal when buying a used car, the market is heavily in the buyers favour if you're willing to do the research and be patient. Does look like London prices, but the main thing is if it ticks enough positive boxes for you, then you got a good deal. I bought my focus for £4400 with 46/47k on the clock back in May. About a week later, I saw a Zetec-S going for couple hundred quid more with 45k on the clock. Go figure. But it sounds like you are happy with your Focus, I am sure you will spoil it rotten now that you are on these forums, just make sure your eBay and bank account are ready :D

I did the same as you, 1.2 Corsa to 1.6 TD Focus :) Quite a difference, especially on longer journeys.

My cooling fan only ever stays on when it's trying to regenerate (clear) the DPF. Make sure you give it on a good blast on the motorway at least once a month.

Excellent cars, I love mine to bits. She's a bit dirty though, black + motorway this time of year = filth :)

I got mine to 95,000 miles, then got fed up of spending ££ on it. Weekends away/moving anything larger than a packet of crisps was such a nightmare also. According to Askmid she's still on the road though, and I've had the Focus for 2 1/2 years now!

CORSA - Crackety 'Orrible Rickety Shartlump Arises

'nuff said :p

CORSA - Crackety 'Orrible Rickety Shartlump Arises

'nuff said :p

Indeed :p

I have noticed that when the car is driving at a steady 30mph the car goes seem quite loud, but this is probably because it's a diesel and I came from a petrol, also when I switch the ignition off the cooling fan is quite loud also, is this all normal??? Thanks in advance

As has been said, if you're happy with the price that's what's important. I just bought a 59 1.6TDCi Titanium(x pack?) with full leather, climate,, Xenons, Led tail lts and 80k (FFSH) for £6150.

If the fan is running it might just need a good blast as I think they started to fit DPFs around 2008. Being second hand you don't know what sort of journeys it has done and how much stop start shunting around it has done with the dealer.

manufactures started fitting diesel particulate filters late 2005/early 2006 although some engines didnt have them fitted as the cars had been in production before EU5 emissions regulations took place or there emissions were met to EU5 requirements.

now for my 2 pence worth. depending of where in the country you bought it its either dear or about right. in the south near London cars are more expensive than cars bought in the north and Scotland more often than not. did the dealer/garage tell you it had a DPF? if not then you have been stung if you dont do the mileage. you will have DPF issues and if you remove the filter it will fail its next MOT.

diesels with DPF's are no good for town driving/doing short journeys.

when benfield ford called asking of we were looking to change our car, the sales man assessed the type of driving we were doing and the mileage, we were doing the mileage to justify a diesel but because it was mainly town driving the sales man said we'd be better off with a petrol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club